MikeWeeks's Avatar Senior Member
    There might be some interest remaining:

Finished up the campaign without issue. Basically was a repeat of my very first time playing, when I switched over to Tier upon hitting level 30. This time no grinding to get to Tier 1 however; just did the missions in basic stealth mode due to what Tier Mode happens to be ...

Here's what I've moved on to, in order to at least squeeze some more out of the game world (in brief):

a team of "nobodies" on Extreme;
    no HUD (except for ammo/device selection);
    no drone use at all;
    no rebel skills or resources (must do Rebel Rising in Itacua naturally);
    limited skill sets (mainly bonus medals plus one activation level);
    use of weapons/scopes that are dropped from NPCs in game. Various ways to approach (G36C should be default starting weapon) - one-time travel to acquired weapon(s)/scope(s); purchase appropriate weapons pack(s) from store; start/end game sessions near checkpoints in order to go grab a dropped weapon to start the session. IOW one can acquire the same weapon which will be dropped for their inventory, or only use the actual weapon(s) which are dropped;
    in-game helos only (or drop one at start of a session if team ended previous session with a helo);
    low tech - for example no laser attachments for the weapons.

For cosmetic purposes the team can be ex-SBC thugs or perhaps a team of hired mercs who find themselves way in over their heads....

I am allowing general night vision (no thermal however) due to the totally un-balanced advantage the NPCs have for sight. Generally speaking been doing much more in day-light. Also, no drone use really makes a difference.

Naturally not really a GR story-driven narration nor a need to endlessly explore the map - simply come across a location which can either automatically trigger a mission briefing or provide some intell to the team. So you're basically playing the map in order to find story missions (and perhaps good locations which will provide a means to acquire dropped weapons).

And of course at the appropriate time the team will hear a voice which will inform them that so-n-so is now a target.

VirtualRain.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by MikeWeeks Go to original post
    There might be some interest remaining:

Finished up the campaign without issue. Basically was a repeat of my very first time playing, when I switched over to Tier upon hitting level 30. This time no grinding to get to Tier 1 however; just did the missions in basic stealth mode due to what Tier Mode happens to be ...

Here's what I've moved on to, in order to at least squeeze some more out of the game world (in brief):

a team of "nobodies" on Extreme;
    no HUD (except for ammo/device selection);
    no drone use at all;
    no rebel skills or resources (must do Rebel Rising in Itacua naturally);
    limited skill sets (mainly bonus medals plus one activation level);
    use of weapons/scopes that are dropped from NPCs in game. Various ways to approach (G36C should be default starting weapon) - one-time travel to acquired weapon(s)/scope(s); purchase appropriate weapons pack(s) from store; start/end game sessions near checkpoints in order to go grab a dropped weapon to start the session. IOW one can acquire the same weapon which will be dropped for their inventory, or only use the actual weapon(s) which are dropped;
    in-game helos only (or drop one at start of a session if team ended previous session with a helo);
    low tech - for example no laser attachments for the weapons.

For cosmetic purposes the team can be ex-SBC thugs or perhaps a team of hired mercs who find themselves way in over their heads....

I am allowing general night vision (no thermal however) due to the totally un-balanced advantage the NPCs have for sight. Generally speaking been doing much more in day-light. Also, no drone use really makes a difference.

Naturally not really a GR story-driven narration nor a need to endlessly explore the map - simply come across a location which can either automatically trigger a mission briefing or provide some intell to the team. So you're basically playing the map in order to find story missions (and perhaps good locations which will provide a means to acquire dropped weapons).

And of course at the appropriate time the team will hear a voice which will inform them that so-n-so is now a target.
    That sounds fun. Great ideas!

Up until yesterday, I was following my NG+ guide doing operations selected at random which as I said before, makes it more interesting because when I sit down for a game session, I donít know what Iíll be doing. Was doing that on Tier Mode stealthily with a squad but no hud or drone.

For the first time I havenít been using the mini-map which makes it more interesting as youíre not sure what state youíre in. You have to pay more attention to the audible cues.

Iím at Tier 25 now.

However, Iíve decided to try something else now as the stealth aspect was getting tediously repetitive. So Iíve now turned Tier Mode off and Iím playing more of a fast strike assault style at regular Extreme Difficulty.

No need to do recon anymore, as I know most locations very well. So I pick an entry point and move in on an objective rapidly, killing bad guys as I go. I start with the suppressed MK18 until Iím clearly discovered and then Iíll often switch to my unsuppressed MK17 which is a very satisfying gun to use in this way.

Invariably we get pinned down in a fire fight at some point and need to fight our way out. Itís a blast.

Iím not using full auto at all. I stay on single-shot exclusively and go for head shots. Itís forcing me to improve my aim. I previously used small bursts on full auto which are a lot more likely to hit something down range than a single bullet, so my accuracy was OK but not super precise. It gets a bit hairy in a serious fire fight as it takes a couple of shots or more to take out a guy, but as I get better and land more and more head shots itís very satisfying.

Iím using the ďGotoĒ command with the AI Team to put them on an opposing corner or side of a road way across from me or a flanking position which makes for some interesting fire fights as the enemies are facing a bit of a cross fire situation and have two directions they need to attack.

So far itís a lot of fun. Iíll be interested to see how long this lasts.

Originally Posted by VirtualRain. Go to original post
    That sounds fun. Great ideas!

Up until yesterday, I was following my NG+ guide doing operations selected at random which as I said before, makes it more interesting because when I sit down for a game session, I don’t know what I’ll be doing. Was doing that on Tier Mode stealthily with a squad but no hud or drone.

For the first time I haven’t been using the mini-map which makes it more interesting as you’re not sure what state you’re in. You have to pay more attention to the audible cues.

I’m at Tier 25 now.

However, I’ve decided to try something else now as the stealth aspect was getting tediously repetitive. So I’ve now turned Tier Mode off and I’m playing more of a fast strike assault style at regular Extreme Difficulty.

No need to do recon anymore, as I know most locations very well. So I pick an entry point and move in on an objective rapidly, killing bad guys as I go. I start with the suppressed MK18 until I’m clearly discovered and then I’ll often switch to my unsuppressed MK17 which is a very satisfying gun to use in this way.

Invariably we get pinned down in a fire fight at some point and need to fight our way out. It’s a blast.

I’m not using full auto at all. I stay on single-shot exclusively and go for head shots. It’s forcing me to improve my aim. I previously used small bursts on full auto which are a lot more likely to hit something down range than a single bullet, so my accuracy was OK but not super precise. It gets a bit hairy in a serious fire fight as it takes a couple of shots or more to take out a guy, but as I get better and land more and more head shots it’s very satisfying.

I’m using the “Goto” command with the AI Team to put them on an opposing corner or side of a road way across from me or a flanking position which makes for some interesting fire fights as the enemies are facing a bit of a cross fire situation and have two directions they need to attack.

So far it’s a lot of fun. I’ll be interested to see how long this lasts.
    This also sounds like a nice way to continue enjoying the game.

I'm discovering that the G36C works just fine, with an occasional use of the AK-12 when I want some added punch.

Once the Rainbow 6 side mission is completed I think it's fine to use Caviera's M9 Luison handgun. Plus it appears to me as if it has a "home-made" suppressor, which more or less fits the "theme" of this run.

This also sounds like a nice way to continue enjoying the game.

I'm discovering that the G36C works just fine, with an occasional use of the AK-12 when I want some added punch.

Once the Rainbow 6 side mission is completed I think it's fine to use Caviera's M9 Luison handgun. Plus it appears to me as if it has a "home-made" suppressor, which more or less fits the "theme" of this run.
    Yeah, good idea... I had a character that used the Luison handgun for a time... that was more of a Mad Max stage I went through - which doesn't sound much unlike your current play through. . The only problem with that pistol is the sight picture is horrible because of the wrap on the suppressor. However, at close enough range, that's irrelevant.

Yeah, good idea... I had a character that used the Luison handgun for a time... that was more of a Mad Max stage I went through - which doesn't sound much unlike your current play through. . The only problem with that pistol is the sight picture is horrible because of the wrap on the suppressor. However, at close enough range, that's irrelevant.
    Using the Mad Max theme would be nice in that you could take advantage of the various crate-generated weapons with skins that represent "home-made" - i.e., M4A1 Commando for example. Doesn't make for much in the way of game play difference of course, but nice for presentation purposes when you're viewing your character ...

Using the Mad Max theme would be nice in that you could take advantage of the various crate-generated weapons with skins that represent "home-made" - i.e., M4A1 Commando for example. Doesn't make for much in the way of game play difference of course, but nice for presentation purposes when you're viewing your character ...
    Thats exactly what i did... I used a few of the rustic worn-out or home-made weapons and there are a bunch of cosmetics that suited the theme as well. There is a pistol grip shotgun with brass knuckles on the grip that I particularly enjoyed. I played in the arid regions in the South and West and used the Unidad Buggy as my mode of transport. My AI Team was all women wearing suitable outfits. It gave me an excuse to use some of the non tactical stuff I wouldnít normally and play loud and proud. It was fun for awhile.

Thats exactly what i did... I used a few of the rustic worn-out or home-made weapons and there are a bunch of cosmetics that suited the theme as well. There is a pistol grip shotgun with brass knuckles on the grip that I particularly enjoyed. I played in the arid regions in the South and West and used the Unidad Buggy as my mode of transport. My AI Team was all women wearing suitable outfits. It gave me an excuse to use some of the non tactical stuff I wouldn’t normally and play loud and proud. It was fun for awhile.
    I was thinking of Mad Max as with Mel Gibson (i.e., solo), while you went with the 2015 re-make - cool!!

As an aside; wonder what might be the possible (best(?) method(s) to "grind" to level 17 (in order to simply unlock all skill sets) with the minimum impact on the game world. To make that your starting point of any kind of play run.

Thinking of easy convoy tagging areas as well as having to collect blue icons (minus weapons if packs have been purchased). In addition, kill Unidad as often as possible with stealth. I suppose one method would also be to grab a gunship and just go hunt for Unidad helos & road vehicles out in the west.

I was thinking of Mad Max as with Mel Gibson (i.e., solo), while you went with the 2015 re-make - cool!!

As an aside; wonder what might be the possible (best(?) method(s) to "grind" to level 17 (in order to simply unlock all skill sets) with the minimum impact on the game world. To make that your starting point of any kind of play run.

Thinking of easy convoy tagging areas as well as having to collect blue icons (minus weapons if packs have been purchased). In addition, kill Unidad as often as possible with stealth. I suppose one method would also be to grab a gunship and just go hunt for Unidad helos & road vehicles out in the west.
    Yeah, I think those things you mention would probably get you to level 17 fairly quickly. The convoys are good because you will also be building up a resource pool to develop those skills. But hunting Unidad is also very lucrative.

But donít you have a save game file now that is Level 30 with all the blue icons cleared? What are you thinking now?

Yeah, I think those things you mention would probably get you to level 17 fairly quickly. The convoys are good because you will also be building up a resource pool to develop those skills. But hunting Unidad is also very lucrative.

But don’t you have a save game file now that is Level 30 with all the blue icons cleared? What are you thinking now?
    What I'm thinking of is a character where the available skills are all unlocked prior to heading out beyond Itacua - or even completing Itacua - that has a minimum impact on the game world. IOW, don't touch down in the other provinces. Basically a character you can build any way you wish from the get-go.

Indeed I have a level 30 character save file - but that's from playing the game as intended outside of doing any missions.

I know it doesn't add much to the game, but a level 17 character without having done "anything" would allow for any kind of restrictions/parameters one would like to use. You could forgo obtaining the bonus medals as a limit (either completely, or until coming across as the game is played) since the BM's require you to travel.

Late last night tested with the current character (with dropped gunship) at level 14 out west, and in a very short time leveled to 17. Previously found operating from Itacua Echo could farm the spawning convoy (5000) on Narco-Muro without major issue - plus that would generate some 300+ XP per each tag. The latter a bit boring to be sure, but easy for the required resources to have at least one level of the appropriate skills if one so wishes to do so - plus it moves the level meter as you farm.

You guys had me curious last night, so I rolled a new Nomad, set it to arcade difficulty, abandoned the starting mission, and flew to the large hill that is south south west of F.O.B. Armadillo. With my TAC-50, I started in on Unidad. Got them real interested but it wouldn't go above 3 chevrons. When I ran out of ammo I headed down to the road, started to scavenge from the fallen, and then the helos started to show up. Dropped a few of them and then got my 4th chevron. Started walking down the road, killing Unidad as I went, making sure not to kill the "last guy" before more of them would show up. Kept it up going all the way down the Khochi(South east corner of Itacua). SB interfered a bit to much when I got into town and Unidad stopped showing up. I didn't time it like I should have, but I was likely close to an hour of walking and shooting. Ended the spree at level 5. So getting to level 17 without doing any missions or leaving Itacua is definitely doable. But the 1 to 5 exp requirement feels about the same as the 5 to 8, so I imagine you're looking at several hours of just kiting and killing Unidad.

Girlfriend will be out of town until Friday, so I'll see if I can't find a more efficient way.

Still though, my favorite way to play is no hud, no skills(Except parachute), no vehicles(Except where required by mission). That doesn't require any leveling, just a whole lot of checking the Tac-Map.