HayateAce's Avatar Banned
    We have gone through a couple of patches now and this has not changed. While the USN planes seem to be getting plenty of attention to trim back speed or acceleration, we can't seem to get rid of the canopy stains.

Everyone, to a man, seems to agree that the cockpit stains are a bad idea. As an aside, I see that in almost every single cockpit stain thread, a few 109ers pop in and say something about "hey we have stains too".

There is a huge difference. The 109 staining is more of an atmospheric detail and only seems visible to me when looking out the sides, to the rear when the sun hits it just right. However, the staining on the F4F and F6F is all over the canopy INCLUDING the armored glass in front of the gunsight. Flying straight and level it's liveable, but do some BnZ and right at the moment you are diving down to take a shot your view is totally obscured by the stains.

I am all for removing these effects on all the a/c, but let's not compare the 109 stains. P51 jocks have a similar effect on the bubble, but they don't say much about it.

By the way, I am posting this because Ivan locked the other thread due to the guy saying "pee".

We have gone through a couple of patches now and this has not changed. While the USN planes seem to be getting plenty of attention to trim back speed or acceleration, we can't seem to get rid of the canopy stains.

Everyone, to a man, seems to agree that the cockpit stains are a bad idea. As an aside, I see that in almost every single cockpit stain thread, a few 109ers pop in and say something about "hey we have stains too".

There is a huge difference. The 109 staining is more of an atmospheric detail and only seems visible to me when looking out the sides, to the rear when the sun hits it just right. However, the staining on the F4F and F6F is all over the canopy INCLUDING the armored glass in front of the gunsight. Flying straight and level it's liveable, but do some BnZ and right at the moment you are diving down to take a shot your view is totally obscured by the stains.

I am all for removing these effects on all the a/c, but let's not compare the 109 stains. P51 jocks have a similar effect on the bubble, but they don't say much about it.

By the way, I am posting this because Ivan locked the other thread due to the guy saying "pee".

I think this is the only time i agree with you, but the stains on the Hellcat are a big issue...

I never knew the hellcat and other planes like the ki-43 had these yellow stains on the canopy until i saw a thread about it yeaterday and took a closer look, literally. Y? because i've got objects detail set on low and most importantly object and ground lighting set to the very lowest. These settings should help.

The 109 has stains as well??????...man i must have a **** computer i just did some flight testing on the 109 f4, g2 and g6/as a few hours ago and i didn't c any stains at all.

Fehler's Avatar Senior Member
    I think it is important to note that light reflection and staining are two different issues.

The 190, for example can get blinding if you are turned against the sun at the proper angle. I like this feature a lot.

But the horse pee colored stains, like used to be on the late model 109's (Which I believe has been toned down a great deal) and which is on the Hellcat are really bad.

I understand the "Why's" about using this effect, but in practice, it merely makes for bad gameplay.

RocketDog's Avatar Banned
    The effect is worse if you are flying with the Sun low in the sky. At times it's impossible to see clearly what's going on in front of the aircraft.

From an earlier post by Oleg Maddox, it seems the the cockpit is incorrect and the opacity of the "stains" was accidentally set too high. Done with a light touch it adds atmosphere. Done as we have it now it really makes it hard to use the F6F. I had hoped that this would have been fixed in 3.03, but unfortunately, 3.03 just seemed to be a finalising of the content of 3.02b.

The nett effect is not good. The Wildcat/Zero flight models are so far from historical data that early-war scenarios aren't worth playing (see the thread on Zero/Wildcat dive speeds in the PF forum). The mid-war scenarios suffer because of 1C's poor quality control on the F6F cockpit. That leaves the F4U as the only big Allied carrier-based fighter that isn't hamstrung by outstanding bugs.

Regards,

RocketDog.

RocketDog's Avatar Banned
    HayateAce's post is polite, reasoned and measured. All he did was point out (correctly) that the staining on the F6F is far heavier than on any other aircraft.
    Regards,

RocketDog.

It is rather clear that Yankwhiners are definitely a bigger voice due to this forum being English and all.Whenever a Yank problem appears a whole swarm goes down to one thread shouting how badly modeled they`re planes are.

50cal is fixed,hmmmm what else aaaah those horrible stains that are a reason for 99% of my deaths I must quickly sygnalize this to Oleg!!!

LW boys lose battle after battle whatever the proof.Oh BTW why does Oleg ignore the MG151/20 issue even if FW190 is his favorite I dunno,maybe he`s a masohist?

You didn`t complain about stains in Me109G6Late,did you?

Hmm, sorry you had to say those things badsight.

Anyway, as I was trying to say that I know the 109 also has some canopy staining as do a few others, but it really doesn't limit gameplay to any degree. Carguy is providing the example of what I was trying to prevent. A simple thread about F4F and F6F staining/gunnery issue, being used as a platform for airing general grievances.

I have flown the 109 enough to have noticed the rearward looking stains a few times but I never lost a bogey due to it. Hopefully the oher fellow is right in that they have toned it down in the last few patches. Maybe they will get around to the F4F/F6f.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►