GLASSGH0ST's Avatar Member

PSA: Authentic and covert camouflage used by both US & Bolivian forces

Hi everyone,

If you are like me you want RP your Ghosts to be outfitted in authentic US Army combat clothing, however the theme of the game suggests that they need to remain unrecognizable as US forces. After doing some research, I can confirm that the Bolivian government has historically fielded 2 camo patterns that were used by the US army (along with many other nations).

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Bolivia

M81 Woodland (The Obvious choice) - great for dense jungle and Forrest areas of the map

Chocolate chip (Desert Battle Dress Uniform) - great for arid, and red soil areas of the map

Special mentions:

MARPAT - US Marine uniform used by Bolivian special forces

Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP) - Not used by Bolivia. Not really good for anything, have played around with it for alpine builds but still offers poor performance for concealment.

DCU Tri-color - Not used by Bolivia. Performs well in arid areas and has some limited success with concealment at range in salt flats
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by GLASSGH0ST Go to original post
    Hi everyone,

If you are like me you want RP your Ghosts to be outfitted in authentic US Army combat clothing, however the theme of the game suggests that they need to remain unrecognizable as US forces. After doing some research, I can confirm that the Bolivian government has historically fielded 2 camo patterns that were used by the US army (along with many other nations).

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Bolivia

M81 Woodland (The Obvious choice) - great for dense jungle and Forrest areas of the map

Chocolate chip (Desert Battle Dress Uniform) - great for arid, and red soil areas of the map

Special mentions:

MARPAT - US Marine uniform used by Bolivian special forces

Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP) - Not used by Bolivia. Not really good for anything, have played around with it for alpine builds but still offers poor performance for concealment.

DCU Tri-color - Not used by Bolivia. Performs well in arid areas and has some limited success with concealment at range in salt flats
    UCP was great for what it was meant for, target discrimination.

Honestly for most soldiers camo and camo patterns aren't really meant to make you blend in and hard to see, though people often mistakenly think that. They are primarily meant as a form of target discrimination. AKA don't shoot the guys dressed like you. It is why the Israeli army goes with OD green. All their enemies wear some form of camo, so they just go green.

Originally Posted by Bone_Frog Go to original post
    UCP was great for what it was meant for, target discrimination.

Honestly for most soldiers camo and camo patterns aren't really meant to make you blend in and hard to see, though people often mistakenly think that. They are primarily meant as a form of target discrimination. AKA don't shoot the guys dressed like you. It is why the Israeli army goes with OD green. All their enemies wear some form of camo, so they just go green.
    Kind of harder now that most of the world uses simalar variations of multicam

shobhit7777777's Avatar Senior Member
    Way ahead of you
    My team exclusively rolls around in M81 Wooland...and not the Crye stuff either...I switched to simple Cargos and Shirts.

Nice, with the global obsession for multicam, it's easy to forget how well woodland blends into dense forest and jungle environments.

I just kitted out my team in chocolate chip recently, it blends so well against the red soil. I feel silly for dismissing it early.

Originally Posted by GLASSGH0ST Go to original post
    Kind of harder now that most of the world uses simalar variations of multicam
    With increasing movement to night operations, other things have come into usage. IR strobes and reflective patches come to mind.

If you are Israeli the straight OD green still works in a multicam world.