Thread: Listening during the game and not disturbing the house | Forums

Listening during the game and not disturbing the house

I am using Rocksmith 2014 with a PC, a tube amp and a Helix. I was wondering if there a way to get the backing track and vocals from Rocksmith and the guitar sounds from my Helix into a set on headphones/ in-ear monitors. I think this would be a great way to play the game by listening to both the game and the guitar at the same time and not worry about disturbing the rest of the household. The only way I can think of would be a device that could blend the sounds of two different inputs into one output. Any thoughts on this?

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    If only some device existed that could 'mix' two inputs and put them out to one output... Something like this mixer.

Just run the computer/XBOX/PS4 into the stereo inputs of a mixer then your helix into a balanced input via 1/4" or XLR cable, and the mixer already has headphone out. You're done. You can find mixers online all of the time for under $50. You don't have to 'score' anything to play along, so you can use the output of RS without putting your guitar into it. If you do want to put the guitar into RS, then you can run the HELIX to a stereo out with both channels the same (effectively 2 mono channels) and put one to RS and the other to the mixer. Turn the mixing volume in RS's interface to zero for your guitar and then you will only hear the one side. Pretty easy.

Well now I feel pretty silly I never thought of something like that, but once you mentioned it it made total sense.
     1 people found this helpful

Make sure you use balanced cables and stereo into the 'tape in' or something like that for the mixer, because if you go into a mono jack, it sounds like total crap.

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm sure you could also run the PC output into the 2nd input or Aux input on your Helix and then plug your headphones into the Helix as well. IOW, the Helix will mix various inputs, mics, etc. for you the same way a separate mixer will.

Originally Posted by The_Working_Man Go to original post
    I'm sure you could also run the PC output into the 2nd input or Aux input on your Helix and then plug your headphones into the Helix as well. IOW, the Helix will mix various inputs, mics, etc. for you the same way a separate mixer will.
    Helix has XLR (balanced) in for mic, so you could bring it in there or into the line input. Just set up your routing in the HELIX accordingly.

Dizzyg12's Avatar Senior Member
    If you amp happens to have an emulated output for headphone use, that’s another way to run the tube amp sound into the mixer.

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Gold_Jim Go to original post
    Helix has XLR (balanced) in for mic, so you could bring it in there or into the line input. Just set up your routing in the HELIX accordingly.
    As I said.