Thread: [SPOILER] DLC 1.2 - A message from Creative Director Jonathan Dumont | Forums

UbiPhobos's Avatar Community Manager

[SPOILER] DLC 1.2 - A message from Creative Director Jonathan Dumont

Hey all,

In the following lines you'll find a message from Assassin's Creed Odyssey's Creative Director Jonathan Dumont -

Reading through player responses of our new DLC for Legacy of the First Blade, Shadow Heritage, we want to extend an apology to players disappointed by a relationship your character partakes in. The intention of this story was to explain how your character’s bloodline has a lasting impact on the Assassins, but looking through your responses it is clear that we missed the mark.

Alexios/Kassandra realizing their own mortality and the sacrifice Leonidas and Myrrine made before them to keep their legacy alive, felt the desire and duty to preserve their important lineage. Our goal was to let players choose between a utilitarian view of ensuring your bloodline lived on or forming a romantic relationship. We attempted to distinguish between the two but could have done this more carefully as we were walking a narrow line between role-play choices and story, and the clarity and motivation for this decision was poorly executed. As you continue the adventure in next episode Bloodline, please know that you will not have to engage in a lasting romantic relationship if you do not desire to.

We have read your responses online and taken them to heart. This has been a learning experience for us. Understanding how attached you feel to your Kassandra and your Alexios is humbling and knowing we let you down is not something we take lightly. We’ll work to do better and make sure the element of player choice in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey carries through our DLC content so you can stay true to the character you have embodied throughout.
     29 people found this helpful

So there's no plans to change this, at all ? You straight up just lied to us by saying: "we never force players in romantic situations they might not be comfortable with". Damn, you guys just lost a customer, I thoroughly regret buying that season pass and won't be making the same mistake again.

Edit: I'll add this: It doesn't matter that it's "Ubi's vision for the story", they gave us choices for the entirety of the game and now they just take it away. If you want to give us your vision of the story then don't give us any choices at all,
     67 people found this helpful

No need for apologies to me, your team are the creators and you created a link to the future in a way that holds true to the characters and stories past. Enjoyed the new DLC immensely and can't wait for episode 3.
     24 people found this helpful

"let players choose between a utilitarian view of ensuring your bloodline lived on or forming a romantic relationship"
    By having Kassandra kissing and saying sweet words to a man no matter what we chose? What are you saying?

Also, aren't you the one who said this:
    “Since the story is choice-driven, we never force players in romantic situations they might not be comfortable with,” Dumont says. “Players decide if they want to engage with characters romantically. I think this allows everybody to build the relationships they want, which I feel respects everybody’s roleplay style and desires.”

58 people found this helpful

ChenBop's Avatar Senior Member
    Like I said in my first post. Im not going to make a change.org petition or want it this to escalate. Im glad Ubisoft came out and explained thier stance. I accept it, after all its thier vision. I was just annoyed. More importantly Ubisoft is the rare gaming company that listens to thier community and isnt afraid of critcism.

This is why no matter how fustrating things can get I will stick with them.
     11 people found this helpful

I don’t understand why people are up in arms about this if they’ve played through the main story. It’s all but stated that you HAVE to carry on your bloodline by having a child so this was an eventuality that was just chosen to be seen in game instead of off screen. This has been a really fun DLC and I’m looking forward to episode 3 as well as The Fate Of Atlantis!
     13 people found this helpful

Even if you do change something in the ep3, I still have to suffer going through ep2 to see my gay Kassandra doing all these longing looks, crying about "the one true love" and talk like she's in a hetero soap opera.

If only we had control of her actions to this dude. When in fact, in the main game, this was never the case.
     43 people found this helpful

Queer people don't exist to be your damn learning experience. You promised one thing and then doubled back because acknowledging that we exist would be too inconvenient for the story you wanted.
     41 people found this helpful

MAKE A CONTENT PATCH THAT WILL ALLOW TO ESCAPE FORCED RELATIONSHIPS.

Isn't that clear? It is the only decision.
    All your words about "legacy" are not working. You gave us a choice, right? So why you are taking it back from us? I don't care what should be done in your opinion. I have my, MY Kassandra, and I don't want her to become mother due to personal dislike to pregnancy and childbirth processes. I don't want to know she experienced something like that.
    I'm not even telling about your LGBT players. You know it all well.

To all the ones who are feeling the same disappointment by Ubisoft's actions. Let's not give up and require A CONTENT PATCH I have already told about. We are the customers, some of us bought the game twice: the original one and the Season Pass, so we have to stop Ubisoft feeding us with this. Thank you.

UPD: Just made a THREAD about this idea. So, please, like it up so we can show Ubisoft that we are really not satisfied with their plot decisions.

UPD2: Please, don't forget to share this idea with your friends and invoke them to support it too! The more people require this, the better!
     44 people found this helpful

It ok we love you guys. You guys make the best historic games ever keep up the good work do you know you guys will get better.
     8 people found this helpful