Thread: The pros play a different game and it's time to talk about it! | Forums

The pros play a different game and it's time to talk about it!

So lately there has a been a lot of discussion on balance in general for this game, maps and operators are being discussed and we're trying to find a common system to judge if they are balanced or not, and for a lot of people the most important voice in this is the voice of the pro players and the esports sphere.

And in the last year all the changes that were made to the game were made listening to them, to the pros. But has it lead to a more balanced game for everyone? I don't think so! and I also think there's no blame on the casual gamer or the pro, the blame is on ubisoft for their little understanding of the community.

I've watched a couple professional matches on youtube and I can tell you: these people are playing a different game, entrely!! and the reason why is easy, they don't play it anymore to experiment and have fun, but to win. They play it trying to maximize the chance for winning, and their suggestions all go in this direction, "better" and "worse" in their language don't mean "more fun" and "less fun", the only question they ask is: "will this help my team, given our playstyle and tactics?" and their playstyle and their tactics are completely out of the range of 99% of players, because of sheer incredible skill with the mouse and because of incredible map knowledge and coordination.

Now, how often do you play with people who have this level of game? very rarely, unless you belong in that little percentage of pros/wannabe pros/ or you already have a team, and that is not a lot of people. Most of us solo que or play with a couple friends, we try to win but if we lose we don't care too much, because it's a game and the most important factor after a two hour session is not "did my K/d go up" but "did I have fun?" and that's it! for us, favela house plane and all those maps are a lot of fun, the fact that they are so different and so creative is not a hinderance but a bonus, because we don't play to win, we play for entirely different reasons! we like to adapt and find strange tactics, we don't do the same thing over and over like the pros, because if they lose they lose money, if we lose we lose nothing!

So comes the logical problem: why do you listen to them? wouldn't it be time to finally separate this two communities and let them play however they want? because at the moment we only hear complaints from both sides, and we're not discussing this in the right way. We play two different games with two very different motivations to play, how can one group decide the game for the other? and I mean this in both ways, I don't want to tell pro players how to play but the opposite should also be true, but we don't see this unfortunately.

So, what do we get with ignoring 90% of the playerbase and only listening to the very few who play this everyday for hours and who know every trick and pixel of every map? we get a ranked map playlist with less than half of the AWESOME maps that this game has, we get less and less creative gadgets because anything too new and gamechanging could destroy the imaginary "balance" they think they have created, we get maps that are huuuuge and confusing because roaming is big in pro league and is not uncommon to see 4 roamers in every round in pro league, which never happens in normal matches (3 anchors + 2 roamers is the norm mostly)

My solution is to greatly separate the pro scene from the normal playerbase, but also offer the chance to anyone who has the game to play exactly like the pro league, with a dedicated mode. Remove casual, as it's become something horrible to play 95% of the time (that 5% is very good matches with the "casual people" who play good, but they are an extreme minority even though i love them) and that's it
     7 people found this helpful

I think this is a very good post, you make a very good point, and propose a good idea. However, I don't see Ubisoft listening, and I can already sense the large mass of people that are going to comment things along the lines of attacking your personal skill level at the game. Just proves you right. Very good post my friend, I support this idea
     3 people found this helpful

And they would be right! not everyone wants to become a pro player, just watching them play gives me a headache with all the movements and the speed they have, it's just not something for everyone, you need a special kind of discipline and training to get there, and I'm genuinely not interested in becoming that good at rainbow, sorry! but at the same time I love this game, and I want to see better times for it, I'm afraid we're getting the last season of popularity and new players, the game is slowly declining, nothing too bad but clearly noticeable.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Nievenn Go to original post
    And they would be right! not everyone wants to become a pro player, just watching them play gives me a headache with all the movements and the speed they have, it's just not something for everyone, you need a special kind of discipline and training to get there, and I'm genuinely not interested in becoming that good at rainbow, sorry! but at the same time I love this game, and I want to see better times for it, I'm afraid we're getting the last season of popularity and new players, the game is slowly declining, nothing too bad but clearly noticeable.
    I agree most with how you talked about what they think benefits them and their team when it comes to Operator changes. Like Lion, he was an interesting edition to the game and people figured out how to make him extremely useful to the team. The pros used him, found that out, and now want Lion to have a complete rework. You'd think that if they figure out how to use him effectively, they could figure out how to counter him just as effectively.
     2 people found this helpful

Exactly! the problem with lion wasn't his ability alone, it was linked with the most useful strategy in bomb for them: smoke 'n plant. In pro league they don't kill 2-3 defenders and then plant, they often gain control of one doorway, with people holding very precise angles and constant communication, throw a couple smokes and plant as soon as they get the chance, THEN lion becomes a big problem, because before Lion the defenders had more chances to win in this situation (which is almost always like this) but after him, this whole strategy has become a 99% win and so they had to do something about him. They don't care about the game, but about THEIR game, and it's alright this way because they play with higher stakes, but we don't...

You make some really great points. I myself love House and Plane because they are unique. But most of all, just based on the sheer numbers....pro players represent .0000001 of the community, so like yourself, I don't understand why all the decisions made are based on their feedback, which affects 99.999999% of our player base, which is largely disregarded. I myself would like to have Casual, Ranked, and Pro Ranked playlists...with the current "Ranked" being updated to include ALL maps (except maybe Favela and Tower, because they really really suck).

The problem with Lion is with a cordinated team it made killing roamers too easy. At the high ranked play sitting still is a death sentence if your opponent knows your location.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    You explained your opinion of the differences between pro and common players, but what is the solution?

Originally Posted by Nievenn Go to original post
    My solution is to greatly separate the pro scene from the normal playerbase, but also offer the chance to anyone who has the game to play exactly like the pro league, with a dedicated mode. Remove casual, as it's become something horrible to play 95% of the time (that 5% is very good matches with the "casual people" who play good, but they are an extreme minority even though i love them) and that's it
    I've agreed that casual should be removed, and I've even suggested a 5 stack only ranked mode. But I didn't catch what your solution was. Could you please elaborate or did I miss how you proposed on separating the two groups?

nrod3041's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by WBBCoop Go to original post
    You explained your opinion of the differences between pro and common players, but what is the solution?

I've agreed that casual should be removed, and I've even suggested a 5 stack only ranked mode. But I didn't catch what your solution was. Could you please elaborate or did I miss how you proposed on separating the two groups?
    So, wait, remove casual?

Why? I am not that interested in being all hyped up for a game that honestly a few years from now will be replaced by the next best thing. Do something about making casual more playable, but removing it entirely? I dunno about that. That doesnt make sense.
     2 people found this helpful

It's pretty obvious why gameplay developers at Ubisoft take a keen interest in the way Siege is played at the highest level.

The top teams play Siege both the way it was intended to be played, play it to it's full potential and set trends before the general population picks up on them.

Considering how long it takes to develop games it has to be an advantage to work with the players who are at the forefront of the game.

Plus the pro teams are good for business as they support the game and give it a certain legitimacy.