Thread: Alkibiades. And I hope some of the devs read this. | Forums

  1. #41
    Originally Posted by SecretSpyDude Go to original post
    Not everyone enjoys living in a redundant world.

    Anyway, we're going off topic.
    Then you came to the wrong forum. Redundancy is the soup du jour.
    Share this post

  2. #42
    Originally Posted by SecretSpyDude Go to original post
    But shouldn't we help them get close by providing "legit criticisms"? Are you implying you're okay with sub-optimal products?

    It's very hard for a game to be ten out of ten on anyone's rating scale, that much is true, yes. But getting as close to perfect as possible is part of the fun of game design (and even more fun for the player.)

    You may not care if a game is good or bad as long as it's fun, but there needs to be people that provide legitimate criticism so people know what to do and how to do it for next time.

    This way, if the next AC game isn't perfect, at least it's a step or two closer.
    When you've been around as long as we have, you see the negative, childish behavior that Prodi is referring to. You also see redundancy, people repeating threads that already have a topic, the same people who created a thread topic go to create a NEW thread topic on the same subject. People repeating themselves over and over again, because the person asking (demanding) something failed to read the stickies at the top of the forum, etc.

    It's this entitlement. "Drive-by" people who come to the forum to complain about one thing or another.

    There's a whole different category of people who can be respectful and polite, and we're not talking about those. It's when people throw around "lazy" and whatnot that makes us angry, and even defensive.
    Share this post

  3. #43
    I didn't like Alkibiades at all at first but it had nothing to do with his sexuality ..... It was because he came off as a spoiled rotten Frat Brat type who never had to earn anything and was just a party boy living on Daddy's money and reputation .....

    But after that dock scene in Elis which I thought was just hilarious I became a fan ..... The sexual encounters were also funny as hell and worth doing and it was mostly innuendo, a classic comedy technique .....
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  4. #44
    Originally Posted by MnemonicSyntax Go to original post
    When you've been around as long as we have, you see the negative, childish behavior that Prodi is referring to. You also see redundancy, people repeating threads that already have a topic, the same people who created a thread topic go to create a NEW thread topic on the same subject. People repeating themselves over and over again, because the person asking (demanding) something failed to read the stickies at the top of the forum, etc.

    It's this entitlement. "Drive-by" people who come to the forum to complain about one thing or another.

    There's a whole different category of people who can be respectful and polite, and we're not talking about those. It's when people throw around "lazy" and whatnot that makes us angry, and even defensive.
    You're right, I didn't have much context on these forums since I only became a regular recently, and what I've been seeing is a lot of people repeating the same topics (and oftentimes those topics are berating the developers in a very offensive way.) I wonder how you guys deal with this lol. I think this is a fun community but the people that come here, post once about something that makes them angry, and then leave forever, are quite the problem. I bet they've merged dozens of threads into the "level scaling" complaint thread. Even if they are free to just speak their mind I wish they would do so in a more constructive way.

    Take the OP for example, he's bordering on homophobia.
    Share this post

  5. #45
    Totally agree... he sounds more stoned or mildly hammered than a gay caricature—and 200% charming!
    Share this post

  6. #46
    Agree on the "I hear a slur not a lisp" part. Sorry. New to the forums.
    Share this post

  7. #47
    Originally Posted by SecretSpyDude Go to original post
    You're right, I didn't have much context on these forums since I only became a regular recently, and what I've been seeing is a lot of people repeating the same topics (and oftentimes those topics are berating the developers in a very offensive way.) I wonder how you guys deal with this lol. I think this is a fun community but the people that come here, post once about something that makes them angry, and then leave forever, are quite the problem. I bet they've merged dozens of threads into the "level scaling" complaint thread. Even if they are free to just speak their mind I wish they would do so in a more constructive way.

    Take the OP for example, he's bordering on homophobia.
    Reading between the lines, I'd venture to say the OP is actually a gay/bi individual themselves. I could be wrong, but I think the issue here is wanting better representation and not have the "token gay guy" be reduced to a playful, flirtatious pleasure seeker.

    As for the rest, you learn to deal with it, as those others are temporary. You help those where you can, and if trying to bring logic and reason to the conversation ends up with you being called a fanboy or "a Ubishill" or an "employee" well, you just roll with it.

    Most of these folks are angry, for various reasons. They paid for a game and have high expectations. Which can be understandable. But certain circumstances like developer vision, or time-based requests sometimes just aren't' in the cards.

    For example: resolving bugs, or fixing issues is mandatory. Adding shields or haircuts is not. The former is required by the agreement of the consumer/developer, the latter is just a bonus.

    And yet, sometimes the latter is expected despite it not being part of that "developer vision."

    I think if you stay open-minded and respectful, you'll do fine. Don't let them drag you down.

    (And if they do, take a break for a bit, like I did)
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  8. #48
    I am surprised that some people like Alcibiades.i just logged in just to say my opinion.
    in advance,my opinion has nothing to do with his sexual orientation,but rather to the political acts of this man.

    Alcibiades was a total "evil" person ,one of the most underated evil leaders in the history of europe.
    Had not being in place,or better got killed in the retreat of delium batle in 424bc,the world as we know today ,would be a total different place.

    1.For certain,Athenians would win Sicily expendition and conquer Syracuse.They lost it cause Alcibiades switched sides and overexaggerating,convinced Sparta to send aid and men to Syracuse.
    Gylippos organized the defenders and proved crucial in barely defeating them ,after themselves did a ton of mistakes.

    2.With Sicily won,and possibly a lot of greek cities of Italy entering Delian League,Athens would win the Peloponesian war.
    It barely lost it ,after a sneak attack of Lysander in Aigos potamoi,even after Athens had lost 40k men in Suracuse campaign.
    Imagine if it had these resources and men not lost.It was an almost victory.

    3.With peloponesian war won,and nearly all of Greece after its rule ,plus Sicily and lower Italy ,,Athens would be a maritime,military and financial powerhouse .
    A democratic powerhouse and a power that sheltered the best minds in science and mathematics.
    It would be unstopable for any other greek power to try to emerge either be Thebes,or thesally ,or Macedon or Aitolia.

    After that we go deep into alternate history ,but the odds of Rome confronting Athenian Haegemony would be very slim.
    Only carthage would had some chances,IF wanted to enter an extermination war .

    Bottomline is ,the hellenistic expansion would never take place,Persian Empire would only lose its coastal asia minor,Athens would rule the western mediteranean,and it would be a center of learning and technology.
    Rome would be a second class latin federation,and the old celtic ,german and thracian would continue to exist.

    In the end ,all these nations would either cooperate with Athens or get assimilated.The outcome would be....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bosc2YQQZFM

    We would be far more advanced now .

    All these because a thebasn cavalryman did not chased Alcibiades and chosen to hunt other athenian retreating hoplites in 424 bc....
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  9. #49
    ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,547
    Originally Posted by Faeriefingers Go to original post
    Totally agree... he sounds more stoned or mildly hammered than a gay caricature—and 200% charming!
    Ok, I see Tim Curry !!
    Also, in the limited time I've dealt with him in the story, I didn't notice a lisp in either - it's nothing I noticed to made a mental note of.
    Share this post

  10. #50
    Ubi-Zubi's Avatar Community Representative
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,452
    Hey guys! This topic has derailed a bit and is no longer relating to the game. I'm going to close it now.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

Page 5 of 5 ◄◄  First ... 345