I am having this crashing issue on the digital version.
    On latest version of Switch software.
    Just full restarted the system.
    Reverted to original characters with original equipment.
    Attempted to shoot a smasher and the game errors out every time at the moment the attack is about to hit it.

Haven't attempted to re-download the software yet but I'll try that tonight when back on wifi.

I have an update on this, sorry but this will involve some spoilers for the challenge to explain.

The issue can be worked around if you move and attack with your second character first.
    After this, moving and attacking with Mario did not crash the game and I was able to complete the challenge.

I then went back and tried moving Mario first, as far as I could towards the next character, and then attacking, this caused the crashing issue to occur again.

UbiGabrinth's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Thanks for the insight on this! I'll make sure to pass that tip on to players if this comes up again in the future.

Still no go.

I moved my second character first, cool that worked but when I attacked after moving it crash again. This is really making me sad because I really enjoy this game and the thought process but, it is starting to turn me away from wanting to play now.

Ubi-Woofer's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Originally Posted by GrownUpMess Go to original post
    I moved my second character first, cool that worked but when I attacked after moving it crash again. This is really making me sad because I really enjoy this game and the thought process but, it is starting to turn me away from wanting to play now.
    Sorry to hear that you experienced a crash after following the advice of Froozog with regard to using your second character first, GrownUpMess.

If the issue is still ongoing, could you let me know whether a crash occurs if, rather than attacking with your second character, you end your turn early? Are you able to progress beyond that point if you do not attack on that turn, and then play as normal afterward?

Additionally, could you please confirm whether you completed the Nintendo Switch basic troubleshooting steps previously recommended, and if these improved your experience? An additional step I would recommend, if you were willing to give it a try, would be to test using another Nintendo User on your console, to see if the issue is isolated to your save data / profile.