Thread: Chat Toxicity Filter Update ! -Dev Blog- | Forums

Ubi-Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

Chat Toxicity Filter Update ! -Dev Blog-

Hello all,

Details for the chat toxicity filter update have arrived. Here are the details from the latest Dev Blog.

------------

On December 10th, we will be evolving our chat toxicity system by activating a chat filter. As a part of our efforts to address toxicity, we previously implemented an automatic ban feature for inappropriate language. Upon review, we found that the automatic ban feature, while effective at curtailing bad behavior, was intrusive to the gameplay of other players not engaging in the inappropriate activity. Therefore, the current system for auto-bans is evolving to improve the experience for all players, including those behaving appropriately.

The goal of the chat filter is to encourage players to be vigilant with the language they are using without immediately disrupting other players. While we valued the performance against toxicity that the auto-ban system brought, we also wanted to provide a more transparent feedback system to our players. The chat filter system will not only give direct feedback to players who are using toxic language, but will continue to allow us to provide appropriate sanctions to offending players.

When players use inappropriate language, they will receive the following private message:
    The following message was not sent and will be reviewed for inappropriate conduct:*word used*

The flagged message is not broadcasted to other players in the match.

For clarity, manual toxicity reviews for temporary and permanent bans will continue in the same way that they have for the last few years.
     3 people found this helpful

Morfanos's Avatar Senior Member
    This looks like a great improvement to the system!

People who used an improper word will know why and be able to correct themselves if it was accidental without being removed from the match. Those who still are trying to be toxic will now waste their time typing and retyping in the chat... ... and finally, this will most likely end the endless stream of "bait" messages.
     3 people found this helpful

AOD_ThunDerHawK's Avatar Member
    Hands on review is the only sure way of getting these things right.
    I hope you guys can keep up with demand, your inboxes are gonna be FULL!

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Great news Zoro!

I feel the community was very influential in the way the new system works .

It's not going to be any different for them. They were still reviewing the chat logs before issuing permanent bans for toxicity. If anything, it's going to reduce how much work they'll need to do , simply because of all those accidental bans that were issued because of typos or because people simply didn't know it was a "bad" word, will most likely be avoided (if you're told why your message was blocked and didn't mean to do it, you're not likely to do it again).

I don't think it gets reviewed; I saw somebody get banned after being baited into saying a racial slur.

Whilst that seems like a better system than the current one, I have never understood why games rated MA15+ have to have any form of censorship in them. Rate the game R if you have to and that way you shouldn't have to worry about censorship at all. Isn't this the whole point of rating games, movies etc.?

This sounds like a good change Zoro. Hopefully it accomplishes the purpose of controlling toxicity, while also getting rid of the trolling bait tricks that people use.

I have one other request though...

How about doing something about toxic VOICE chat?

Quite frankly, I have very little interest or desire to hear the voice chat full of a bunch of puerile swearing, shouting, and other such nonsense. The mute button is nice, but it doesn't stop the cretins and the adolescent goobers from polluting other games. How about Ubi does some VOICE detection for toxicity? I'd love it if I could set the game so people's F bombs and other profanity were bleeped out.

Originally Posted by Add1ctedtoGames Go to original post
    I don't think it gets reviewed; I saw somebody get banned after being baited into saying a racial slur.
    It does get reviewed. What you saw is someone getting a temporary ban that can go up to 2h(if not mistaken) for using one of these words. It's not the same as getting permanently banned for toxicity. No one gets a perma ban automatically for toxicity. In essence, the only difference now is that instead of being kicked from the match, people won't able to "send" their messages, and just like before, once a certain threshold has been crossed, someone will look into it.

Ubi-Zoro's Avatar Community Representative
    Originally Posted by Slammin_Penguin Go to original post
    Whilst that seems like a better system than the current one, I have never understood why games rated MA15+ have to have any form of censorship in them. Rate the game R if you have to and that way you shouldn't have to worry about censorship at all. Isn't this the whole point of rating games, movies etc.?
    I want to clarify that the list of words will still be focused on Racial/Homophobic slurs — you are able to swear like a sailor if you want, you just need to avoid slurs.

Originally Posted by Riddle_Me-This Go to original post
    This sounds like a good change Zoro. Hopefully it accomplishes the purpose of controlling toxicity, while also getting rid of the trolling bait tricks that people use.

I have one other request though...

How about doing something about toxic VOICE chat?

Quite frankly, I have very little interest or desire to hear the voice chat full of a bunch of puerile swearing, shouting, and other such nonsense. The mute button is nice, but it doesn't stop the cretins and the adolescent goobers from polluting other games. How about Ubi does some VOICE detection for toxicity? I'd love it if I could set the game so people's F bombs and other profanity were bleeped out.
    For Voicechat the same rules as always will apply — you can report harrassment over VoiP by submitting evidence directly to the support team.

As for auto-bleeping, I'm not sure if that's even feasibly possible to be honest..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►