Thread: Game difficulty: Just the story? | Forums

Mushashi7's Avatar Member

Game difficulty: Just the story?

This is not a complaint. Not really. More a wondering and a suggestion.

I enjoy both Origins and Odyssey. That is a fact. The games are very much alive and exiting. So are the historical foundations the game are build upon.

I'm about 77 hours into AC Odyssey. I chose 'Easy' because the story and adventure is the most important thing for me. But I don't really find the game 'easy'. Not compared to other games easy settings. Maybe the option called 'just the story' is missing?
    I'm one of those customers who's not looking for hard combat challenges. Not at all. A bit of fighting is ok, but not too much and not especially difficult.
    The reason I chose to post this is that I noticed that I grew tired of Odyssey because of the difficulty settings. The easiest setting is still to difficult for me to enjoy the game as I like to.

I guess I should tell a bit of my self:
    I'm a 54 year old male who started playing games in 1995. I played all kinds of games since then (Quake, Unreal + clanbased Tourmanent was some of the first). I never really played anything else but the top games because I like to loose my self into those worlds created and demand a high level of illusion.
    With age my interest in games changed though. It's very clear that it is not the combat that draws me anymore. I has become boring somehow. Things tend to get boring when you have done them a billion times. What I like is the atmosphere, the adventure, the story and especially the RPG elements in games. I like beautiful graphics and detailled worlds. And the illusions has become better and better. Let the young ones shoot and kill.

I think I have stated my thoughts and am a bit curious about how other players of the game thinks? Am I the only pone who plays the game just for the story and finds it a bit to difficult?

Regads

Mush
     6 people found this helpful

UbiGabrinth's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hi, Mush. I appreciate you reaching out about this! I am moving this over to the general forums so that others can chime in. Our team watches for feedback there, and this may be something others would like as well.
     2 people found this helpful

DreadGrrl's Avatar Senior Member
    “Easy” is absolutely too difficult, based on what I think most of us have come to expect from the easiest level in RPGs and some Action/Adventure games: a “Just the story” mode.

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    I think a Story Mode is a great idea.

Personally, I envision this working by simply putting all enemies permanently on the same level (or lower) than the player. That way, you're free to seamlessly explore the world from the very start, and can marathon the story missions if that is your preference.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by cawatrooper9 Go to original post
    I think a Story Mode is a great idea.

Personally, I envision this working by simply putting all enemies permanently on the same level (or lower) than the player. That way, you're free to seamlessly explore the world from the very start, and can marathon the story missions if that is your preference.
    It doesn't even have to be that easy. I'm playing God of War on story mode right now, and it is a pretty good story mode. There are still some challenges (some things that maybe push the limit a bit), but it is okay.

Enemies doing less damage, the player doing more damage, and ways to bypass a challenge are helpful. Spiderman (which I'm also playing right now) has an option to let people abandon quests. It also has a bypass for some of the puzzles, which is under the "Accessibility" options.

While I'm on the topic of Spiderman . . . what spectacular accessibility options it has!

Part of being an "older" gamer is that our reflexes aren't as quick as they used to be. Our response time is diminished. And, we don't see as well as we used to.

Even at 45, I'm having some troubles now. There are so many things I can't see on the screen in Odyssey and God of War. But, Spiderman's accessibility options let me tweak a whole bunch of things that improve the visibility of things.

I've gotten the hang of Odyssey now. I played for 100 (or so) hours on "easy," 200 on "normal," and I'm now trying "hard" again (I tried it before, but it was still a bit too tricky for me).

It would have been nice, in easy mode, if things happened a bit slower. Things can happen so fast: like boars attacking seemingly out of no where. It can be challenging to react fast enough. And, those firebomb wielding mercs who can take you out in two shots? Sometimes I've desynchronized before I realized anything was happening. I did personally get all of this stuff figured out, but it took a really long time.

Hopefully, developers will start to realize that accessibility options really important. Those of us who have been gaming for decades, and are still gaming, are changing physically. Things that used to be easy are becoming more challenging.

IRCRomeo's Avatar Member
    Mushashi, you are right that the game in its current shape is tedious and just not fun to many people. There is a thread on here titled "forced enemy level scaling" which has in depth discussions about the changes in Odyssey, where 90% of the community wants the game to be changed from what it is today.

In my opinion, the game has been broken since launch and as of today it's been two months since release, and it has yet to be fixed.

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo Go to original post
    Mushashi, you are right that the game in its current shape is tedious and just not fun to many people. There is a thread on here titled "forced enemy level scaling" which has in depth discussions about the changes in Odyssey, where 90% of the community wants the game to be changed from what it is today.

In my opinion, the game has been broken since launch and as of today it's been two months since release, and it has yet to be fixed.
    90% support optional level scaling. I voted in support of optional scaling, as I think people should have a choice.

That doesn’t mean I personally want it changed, as I don’t. I think it is a waste of Ubi’s resources, and I think they have far better ways they could spend their time.

I’m sure other people voted the same way I did, and for the same reason: because you, and others, want it. Just because I’ve chosen to support you doesn’t mean I agree with you, so please don’t misrepresent the altruism shown to you (and others like you) in this matter: by myself and others.

AnimusLover's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by IRCRomeo Go to original post

Don't start.
     4 people found this helpful

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    The game is not "broken" ^. .
     3 people found this helpful

longjohn119's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by DreadGrrl Go to original post
    90% support optional level scaling. I voted in support of optional scaling, as I think people should have a choice.

That doesn’t mean I personally want it changed, as I don’t. I think it is a waste of Ubi’s resources, and I think they have far better ways they could spend their time.

I’m sure other people voted the same way I did, and for the same reason: because you, and others, want it. Just because I’ve chosen to support you doesn’t mean I agree with you, so please don’t misrepresent the altruism shown to you (and others like you) in this matter: by myself and others.
    You are talking a voluntary unscientific poll of maybe 0.000001% of the games customer base ...... And I originally didn't like the auto-leveling until I realized how it actually works so you can subtract one vote .....

Auto-leveling works on EVERYTHING not just you and the NPCs and turning it off will actually make the game harder because you'd never get better gear and you'd never get better loot to be able to afford to upgrade your current gear ...... sure a level 25 you can demolish a level 15 guy but you won't be able to ever upgrade your level gear because you won't be ever getting anything higher than the level 15 or the highest level an area is set at ...... You can't turn off one thing without affecting the other 11 parts of the system ..... They are all interconnected and symbiotic

However they might be able to tweak the easy mode to make it easier but there is likely a limitation to how far they can go with that because of all the variables