I dint get too hung up on the feasibility of the tech... even the original future soldier ghosts didnt bother me too much, its just another game with a set of tools to play with tactically instead of running and gunning and killing people by stabbing them through the radio on their back..

Hell the imperfect cloaking technology from Future Soldier would be a great in game explanation as to why Nomad and his team are hard to detect...

Just give me 30K and the team, i dont care what the mission is... truth be told most "fans" already decided they love/hate the mission

Originally Posted by GLASSGH0ST Go to original post
    As a combat engineer and not a special forces operator, I have bare witness to many new technology deployments for military use that had a striking resemblance to "sci-fi tech" from ghost recon games many years prior.

Cross-comm exists in various forms.
    That has existed and been deployed since 1969 in surface ships, 1980 in tanks and airplanes. That has since been just a matter of miniaturization of existing tech. I guess this is where I point out that an IPhone5 has more computing power than a Cray-2 which in 1990 would take up an entire large room.

Smart ballistic munitions that self guide such as Bullets, Mortars, and artiliary shells are real.
    The bullets have been in development since 1980. They are still in a prototype phase, and even then only at .50 Caliber. Mortars OK, those are closer to actual deployment and artillery has been brought online.
    Weapon platforms that can peak around corners without exposing the firer are real
    Corner shot.. Yeah that is just a kitted out Glock 19. It was produced by Israel, initially used by Israeli elite counter terror units YAMAM and YAMAS and since abandoned because, well, it was just a handgun on a hinge mechanism with a semi-accurate viewfinder. A flashbang and good carbine still work better.

Super quiet field reconnaissance drones that fit into an ammo pouch have just been rolled out.
    Those existed in the public eye(at least in JANES books 2004) before they existed in GR.

Active comoflage exists in development in large pannel form (not yet ready for practical application that is of public record).
    US Navy has been working with active camoflage panels at least since 1992(that was the first JANES Navy book I saw them published in). That is a long long way from an active camo suit.

Finally the exoskeleton exists in many forms, digger works in Australia is currently trailing a non powered combat varient designed to allow a soldier to carry heavier loads, and reduce joint and muscle fatigue for soldiers during operations.
    Again the military has been openly working on the exoskeleton idea since the 1950s. Having one somewhat close to phase 1 prototype testing is not surprising. However, generally speaking, time from phase 1 prototype to actual deployment is usually 20 years or more.

Honestly most of the things that GR has gotten right, you could find in a JANES book well before it went into game. Military tech, by necessity of US law, has to be available to the public eye to a certain degree. Appropriations and all that, fair and open testing and bidding ect. You could get the basic specs, for instance, what is now known as the F-22 and the F-35 back in 1992 when it was still the YF-22 and YF-23. Every year after that until they were fielded you could get the basic abilities of said planes in JANES each year.

Where GR has gone wrong is when it uses highly experimental or conceptual things that aren't really in development or consideration(i.e. they wouldn't be found in the "near future" section of any given year's JANES Development and Production yearbook).
     1 people found this helpful

MikeWeeks's Avatar Senior Member
    I lost track of the GR lore following the original, so I was a bit stumped when Bowman is asking Nomad in the intro about the team (i.e., the Ghosts) being in Moscow. Was that from GR or GRFS?

So it appears it's from GR. If so, I really should change my main character, as "she" wouldn't have been there ...

Originally Posted by Bone_Frog Go to original post
    It was covered in the book GRWark Waters. The technology was unstable the batteries had a tendency to burst into flame. Not really something you want to be crawling around hostile territory with.
    Sounds like a missed opportunity to include combustable weak-points on Los Extranerjos Snipers in a similar fashon to The Division’s Cleaners.

Man, I only justbstarted playing The Division, but the more I play it, the more I love all of its subtle touches.

Originally Posted by LoneSpymaster Go to original post
    Anyway, i'm happy they actually listen and now captain Mitchell is coming to Wildlands, i ask myself who is he coming with? Joe Ramirez? Derrick Parker? Alicia Diaz? Kozak? or another Ghost member? Who knows...

This is what rescues the update for me lol
    You suggest Bone frog learn about the franchise more, then go and ask if Kozak is going to be part of the update? He was only 26, and the newest team member when GRFS takes place, in 2024. So that means he would only be around 20-21 years old in 2019, during GRW. So even if he had already joined the Army by 2019, and even passed special forces qualifications, he would not have had enough training and experience, to garner the attention of the Ghosts.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Megalodon26 Go to original post
    You suggest Bone frog learn about the franchise more, then go and ask if Kozak is going to be part of the update? He was only 26, and the newest team member when GRFS takes place, in 2024. So that means he would only be around 20-21 years old in 2019, during GRW. So even if he had already joined the Army by 2019, and even passed special forces qualifications, he would not have had enough training and experience, to garner the attention of the Ghosts.
    So let's suppose that Kozak enlishted on his 18th birthday. You have to be an E3 to apply for the Q-Course, that that is a minimum 26months service, that would mean the earliest he could enter Special Forces training is when he is 20. Assuming he was already jump qualified and all that, 12-18 months depending on MOS before one is SF-Qualified, would put him at 21(2020) before he was SF. Three years as SF before moving on to a tier 1 unit is relatively short. Most require at least one combat deployment. So Kozak would have been 21 when he beccame SF qualified, assuming he was immediately slotted into an ODA, he would have spent 12months with his ODA in a work up for wherever they were going to deploy(22). Six months in theater(22-23) then been pulled into the Ghosts and undergone whatever training they do. Assuming it is roughly the same as CAG that would be another 6 months. If his army life was a high speed train, he could just barely make it for a 2024 deployment. 2019 wouldn't happen unless we are back in fantasy land.

guys I wouldn't worry, they will most likely just add a crosscoms that give a thermal-night vision overlay. I think thats right up their alley, not too futuristic, but definitely would fit in. I don't they they have the budget to put in any actual futuristic tech that is going to change the way we play the game.

Originally Posted by KunninPlanz Go to original post
    Diaz is now a CIA handler/agent. I say he should bring the original Ghosts, such as Jack Stone, Guram Osadze (this guy's cousin was in GRFS) and Astra Galinsky. However, Harold "Buzz" Gordon, Will Jacobs, Dieter Munz and Susan "Ice Queen" Gray are now too old for active service so they are out of the question.
    Bowman is also part of the CIA and in the future Diaz helps the Ghost’s in a operation, there isn’t a good reason why she wouldn’t appear here.

Those characters you mention, for starters have 0 personality, they were voiced by the same male or female generic voice and spoke the same lines, some of them appeared on Ghost Recon (novel) and then mention only on Dark Waters but again most of the people do not know or care about them.

Joe Ramirez and Derrick Parker for example are characters that have been present since Ghost Recon 2 and have unique personalities not to mention a stronger presence. Derrick Parker team bravo and Captain Mitchell team work together in a operation in GRAW 2 and Joe Ramirez was the leader of Predator team in GRFS.

GRFS team “Hunter” is another no-go because (if I remember correctly) 30k and Pepper were on another team (Ghost Recon Alpha prequel to GRFS) so the actual Hunter team didn’t exist at the time of GRW so maybe Kozak or another Ghost are going to be part of the operation with another code name who knows, we have to wait till Monday to see what happens.

Originally Posted by Bone_Frog Go to original post
    Sorry mate, but as neat as a lot of that stuff sound, until they can get a self powered exo-suit that doesn't need new batteries every 2hrs(or even every 72hrs) full body armor and heavier weapons are just a fantasy.
    Sorry for you that is. We can throw research and military stuff from DARPA and other initiatives around the world that are happening right now and still we wouldn’t agree with each other.

@AI BLUEFOX Do you actually know anything from engineering to understand why something is hard? But yet not impossible? Not to be offensive to any of you btw. I only mention it because the argument of “is impossible” when we all know how much the technology evolves each year is ridiculous.

@GLASSGH0ST has already said what it needed to be said. A lot of things are a fantasy but again Ghost Recon showcases realistic stuff that is based around real life things.

This is what you said:
    “We'll see where this goes. I hope that GRW2 isn't future soldier like with a bunch of techno gadgets that simply don't exist IRL”

As long as there is a prototype it means that exists, that on the long run the tech doesn’t work or is just to much to be worth it, doesn’t mean the tech stops existing or stops being researched, which means it does exist. Like having both night vision and thermal vision on just one set of goggles was a crazy thing to think of, until it was created, why? Because research and technology. That was the point I was trying to make, so GRFS is as close to RL as it can be with the futuristic stuff which isn’t crazy to think about, unlike other games.

Whatever you like it or not this is how it is.

Originally Posted by crowlecj Go to original post
    guys I wouldn't worry, they will most likely just add a crosscoms that give a thermal-night vision overlay. I think thats right up their alley, not too futuristic, but definitely would fit in. I don't they they have the budget to put in any actual futuristic tech that is going to change the way we play the game.
    The Ghosts here already have the crosscom as some of the HUD works as they have it plus Los Extranjeros can disable the HUD, which means the Ghost's actually use one, is just no visible for whatever reason, until it was added through Ubisoft Club.

Originally Posted by Megalodon26 Go to original post
    Some people would give you a long list of stuff he needs to do before joining a special forces team. What these people do not understand is that the Ghost’s do not work by military policy as they are a unique unit so thinking there is a progress like in real life is just non-sense. Alicia Diaz for example wasn’t allowed by the army to serve in any military occupational specialty so the Ghost’s recruited her because of her background as a sniper and then again they do not follow policy.

It could be the same case with Kozak. He is part of it that we know of, because he is mention by the Ghost’s in-game. There needs to be a special reason related to his background for him to be part of the unit as such young age.

But the whole Hunter team didn’t exist until the events on GRFS. For example, in Ghost Recon Alpha (prequel to GRFS) 30k and Pepper are part of another team of Ghost’s and they do not work with Kozak or Cedric so Hunter team at the time of Wildlands wasn’t a thing, Kozak however can show up and maybe other Ghost’s but not as they were on GRFS.