Thread: So how's the romance in Assassin's Creed Odyssey? | Forums

DreadGrrl's Avatar Senior Member
    There is very little actual romance (what there is amounts more to flings), but there are plenty of opportunities one night stands.

IMO. It sucks. I honestly expected more from the Québécois!

show_stoppa's Avatar Senior Member
    IMO romance is like a added distraction from the main story. I wouldn't call the romance in AC Odyssey a romance, but more like one night stands of a mercenary who travels the world on his/her journey, and occasionally spends a night with one NPC, living in a particular area to make it a highlight of that NPCs life, while our mercenary moves ahead with more important things in life.

Would I want more in depth romance options in the game? Probably not. For me, the idea of chasing a particular romantic option, in a virtual world. just doesn't seem appealing. I always assume that protagnists in a game do things for honor and glory and to fulfill any obligations that were put on them, or have a higher purpose in life. Romance just doesn't fall in that category, but is more like a weakness.

If it were a well established romance, like we had in Origins, with bayek and his wife, it would have made sense, because then romance is just not 'romance of honeymoon', but rather a well established realistic 'relationship', where both people have their own opinions and ways of living life. But starting a new romance from scratch means that 9 out of 10 times the game will only cover the honeymoon part of romance, which just isn't interesting.
     1 people found this helpful

goraymi's Avatar Member
    I really like the romance options in Odyssey because they match the Greek epics: superficial flings, just trying to get laid, not planning on sticking around. Look at Odysseus, Jason, etc.

A deep, meaningful, "modern" romance would not have felt as close to the source material / inspiration for the game.
     2 people found this helpful

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    In a way, I guess you could say that the romance options pretty much act as a Zeus simulator.

*without the option to transform into woodland creatures during your affairs. Because that would be pretty horrifying.

Mushashi7's Avatar Member
    I'm also very fond of romances in games. Very much indeed.

But romance doesn't have to end in an 'adult scene'. On the contrary.

It kind of spoils the whole thing a bit in a game. I prefer romance staying a romance with flirts, acknnowledgement, friendship and trust.
    Aren't the most exiting romances those who lasts forever and doesn't get spoiled by sexual acts? Remember the girl/guy in school you never kissed more than once and kept dreaming of the rest of your life?

But there are different qualities of romances in games. That's for sure. I think my romance with Liara T'Soni in Mass Effect was the best ever.
    Then there was the one with Yennefer i Witcher 3. I still enjoy the scene where Geralt and Yennefer sit on the cliff after the djinn lifted the curse.

But a romance can also be annoying if not directed properly. Game developers should definetely create these very careful and also realistic. A bad example is the 'romance' option in Skyrim where you buy an amulet and then asks someone to move in with you. Very romantic... *cough*

I'm also playing Mass Effect Andromeda these days. And there are several romance options you can persue. Not all of them are quite justified but still realistic in a way.

It must be very hard to create a romance option in a game I think? It's almost a story within the story and has to be directed just like in the movies?

DreadGrrl's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Mushashi7 Go to original post
    Then there was the one with Yennefer i Witcher 3. I still enjoy the scene where Geralt and Yennefer sit on the cliff after the djinn lifted the curse.

I. Couldn't. Resist.

AnimusLover's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by cawatrooper9 Go to original post
    In a way, I guess you could say that the romance options pretty much act as a Zeus simulator.

*without the option to transform into woodland creatures during your affairs. Because that would be pretty horrifying.
    And all the rape...

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    So, I had my first romantic encounter - with Roxanne. She was pretty easy to swoon thankfully. She must have been just as lonely as Alexios lol.

Anyways, it would have been nicer if it didn't happen during a major thunderstorm. I saw storm clouds rolling in in the 2nd part of the mission, so I meditated to go through a night and day cycle.
    So the moment arrives, and it starts pouring rain on them both as they're outside.
    I'm all, really??! Of all times.
    The odds are really against Alexios in the love department so far. He needs his own bachelor tent on each island

There wasn't anything lewd or inappropriate shown in this encounter - the scene just cuts out & it was fine w/ me.
    It's something we can opt to do or not. Maybe if they continue w/ RPG''s, romance may get knit deeper into the story?
    For now, this is their first RPG and these are Mercenaries who go out & kill anyone if you ask them to (for frivolous reasons) - I'm not expecting a moral compass here lol.

Olympus2018's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Asgardian02 Go to original post
    Not sure why this is a 18+ game, no sexual activities are shown ever.
    18+ is for extreme graphic violence.....

Ubi-Zubi's Avatar Community Representative
    Originally Posted by DreadGrrl Go to original post

I. Couldn't. Resist.
    I appreciate this post so much.