Sorry guys further to my post (Oh dear Oleg )did,nt realise this had been thrashed out in IL2compare program thread. But just for you "Icefire"I dont remember reading in the newspaper or hearing on the radio- that Curtiss had shipped the P40B in 39-40 to test fly it in the crimea for the performance figures -I thought they just flew it from an airfield in america-but you never know with the americans Yes I was around at that time as well-just in case you are wondering.(silverSurfer)

Sorry guys further to my post (Oh dear Oleg )did,nt realise this had been thrashed out in IL2compare program thread. But just for you "Icefire"I dont remember reading in the newspaper or hearing on the radio- that Curtiss had shipped the P40B in 39-40 to test fly it in the crimea for the performance figures -I thought they just flew it from an airfield in america-but you never know with the americans Yes I was around at that time as well-just in case you are wondering.(silverSurfer)

joeap's Avatar Senior Member
    Nice of you to apologise. The reason Icefire suggested testing in Crimea (in the sim btw not real world ) is that is the only map with 100% standard conditions...ie. standard pressure, temperature (15 C IIRC) as the other maps are either cold (winter maps) or hot (Pacific or desert maps) etc. Therefore to have a standard for testing everyone has agreed to use that map. IRL tests are quoted at standard conditions.

Cheers.

WWMaxGunz's Avatar Senior Member
    It's also the only map Oleg says to use for tests.

Just by the way....
    Did they say everything that was going on in Crimea in 1939-40 on radio or in newspaper?
    Be sure they didn't tell all in the USA or anywhere else I've heard of.
    There's only people who think they do.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blindpugh:
    Sorry guys further to my post (Oh dear Oleg )did,nt realise this had been thrashed out in IL2compare program thread. But just for you "Icefire"I dont remember reading in the newspaper or hearing on the radio- that Curtiss had shipped the P40B in 39-40 to test fly it in the crimea for the performance figures -I thought they just flew it from an airfield in america-but you never know with the americans Yes I was around at that time as well-just in case you are wondering.(silverSurfer) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    As already mentioned...Crimea is the standard map for atmosphereic conditions that are generally accepted and accounted for with speed testing on all aircraft types. Crimea is most consistent with the NACA testing regime.

Understand that each map has its own atmsopheric conditions including density and temperature. These influence the speeds that you will get during your testing.

Coming in here willy nilly like that isn't going to cut it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
    It's also the only map Oleg says to use for tests.

Just by the way....
    Did they say everything that was going on in Crimea in 1939-40 on radio or in newspaper?
    Be sure they didn't tell all in the USA or anywhere else I've heard of.
    There's only people who think they do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Was a joke!

joeap's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blindpugh:
    Was a joke! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Figured as much.