Thread: Steve64b's MapSwapper project: port your maps to other platforms! | Forums

Steve64b's Avatar Senior Member

Steve64b's MapSwapper project: port your maps to other platforms!

Steve64b presents:
    the Far Cry Arcade MapSwapper project

DESCRIPTION:
    MapSwapper allows map makers to bring their Far Cry Arcade maps over to other platforms!
    It's quite experimental and technical, but yeah: that cool map you made can be ported to XONE, PS4 or PC!

HOW IT WORKS:
    • To get ported, MAP MAKERS can reply to this thread, posting the Arcade website link to your map(s). Maps will be ported to PC by Steve64b, and to PS4/XONE by Fallen_Champ. Maps ported by these community members will get published under the reserved "MapSwapper" creator on the respected platform(s).
    • Alternatively, map makers who own the game on multiple platforms can contact Steve64b to get access to the MapSwapper tools required to perform the porting themselves. The process does require some set up (console users need access to a basic Windows PC/laptop to run a tool), but ensures the map maker can publish their map with their own creator name..

RULES AND KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Before porting, make sure your map is considered 'final' and published using the latest Title Update to avoid budget&asset complications during the portation. A map will only be ported once: you can't expect us to update your maps when ported..
    • MapSwapper is experimental. Due to budget and editor differences, some maps may not be portable to other platforms, or end up behaving differently. Details are sketchy, but in general:
      • Console to PC will go just fine.
      • PC to console works ONLY when maps aren't overbudget, don't exceed 7000 objects AND aren't built with PC editormods.
    • Ported maps may end up in the "Workshop" category.

MAPS PUBLISHED ALREADY:
    See here for a list of maps published by the MapSwapper creator.

TECHNICAL WORKINGS:
    (No need to read this part unless you're interested in porting maps yourself, or want to know the technical side)
    The FC5 MapSwapper porting procedure works in a way similar to Steve64b's Far Cry 4 MapSwapper:
    • People actively porting maps need to run the MapSwapper proxy application on their PC, connected to the same network as their game system, and configure their game system to connect to the internet through this PC.
    • The PC will act as a proxy, re-routing (only*) all map download requests from the game through Steve64b's server, which in turn just relays the same request to Ubisoft's maps storage servers. That is, except when one of specific "placeholder" maps are requested - those requests are silently overridden to download the map to be ported (from another platform) instead.
    • To specify which map should be downloaded instead of the placeholder, the person porting the map needs to login to the MapSwapper control interface at http://swapper.farcry.info.
    • With the swap successful, the game will think it downloaded the placeholder map, but the actual map data contained inside came from the map swapped in.
    • This newly ported map should not be played from the Arcade straight away, but first downloaded and opened in the Editor on the new platform. Once in the Editor, the map can be saved appropriately for its platform, after which it's publishable just fine.
    • The need for re-saving the map data stems from the fact that map data seems not 100% compatible across platforms. While the Arcade will still load the map when you straight up play map data from another platform, the terrain texture will be missing. Saving the map from the Editor re-generates the map data. This makes the texture visible again.

CREDITS:
    Steve64b for the idea & development,
    Big thanks to Fallen_Champ and SETHO-1 for helping me test the MapSwapper!

*= See http://swapper.farcry.info
     14 people found this helpful

Amazing work for the community ,thank you Steve !

Thanks steve, great stuff once again. My favorite list go much bigger.

Yesssssss!

Cheers dudes!

Steve64 is da bomb!

DrShakez's Avatar Member
    Awesome job again Steve! Looking forward to playing some fun xbone and ps4 maps thanks to this.

If anyone wants to play my xb1 maps MECHSTORMER (dm) DESOLATION (tdm) feel free to port them to pc or ps4.

MECHSTORMER by AW LOST SOLDIER xb1 (dm) https://far-cry-arcade.ubi.com/xone/...0f233924f44be1

DESOLATION by AW LOST SOLDIER on xb1 (tdm) https://far-cry-arcade.ubi.com/xone/...0f231eb8cff0e4

1 people found this helpful

This is really cool and I'm glad! So many people have been asking to play my Nacht Der Untoten map on console.

Steve64b's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by jwkreule Go to original post
    This is really cool and I'm glad! So many people have been asking to play my Nacht Der Untoten map on console.
    Issue with Nacht Der Untoten (and the majority of tribute maps) is that it's based on a third-party franchise.

I believe Ubisoft won't feature those kind of maps because of legal reasons. And that's a shame really, because I really love well-executed tribute maps!

Of course, MapSwapper now presents map makers with a tradeoff: either wait for Ubisoft to feature their maps (and gain more exposure), or rely on an experimental community-driven service to port the map (possibly into the Workshop category).

But at least now there's a choice, and players benefit.

Originally Posted by AW LOST SOLDIER Go to original post
    If anyone wants to play my xb1 maps MECHSTORMER (dm) DESOLATION (tdm) feel free to port them to pc or ps4.

TDM-DESOLATION ported to PC

DM-MECHSTORMER ported to PC

MECHSTORMER is overbudget, so unfortunately it probably can't be ported to PS4 directly. Seems to have published fine on PC with a budget workaround!
     1 people found this helpful

Awwwwsomeeeee!!!!!!!!!

to AWLS: your chicken walker is the largest mech ive ever seen!~! love the er ppc arms!! you should work for ubi doing armored cores- my 1st pub ubitech was slated for the title ubi-core - it is a sh!1 stain in comparison!! So wanna have a mech off with you now, just for giggles and shytes tho cuz I have a feeling id literally get crushed by your tech genious!! yes the mars pack/blood drag pack is the bowmb huh? try doing that with gens and industrials only?? I did and they came out looking boxy and frail...

to STEVE64b: we all need to construct lil steve64b alters nearst our pc/consoles cuz YOUR A CRY GOD!! HOLIEST of ALL SHYTES!! ps3 (fc2-4) translator? I have @ 100 sq miles of maps to save from "the nothing" (never ending story ref.)
    as for ps4 im gladly stepping up to your plate as a swap tester... well hang soon dood ")
    im sure you had this idea/project poop stamped before I asked you WAAAAAAY back in the spring abouts my ps3 maps... crediting me would just boost an already overly hyped ego... (ill re-read your email..) (im not upset, most likely delusional) (and back to being supers stoked!!)

to CHAMP: your resilience is myne/our shining lyte!! brilliant id's being grown, so proud of you guys!!!
     2 people found this helpful

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►