14 29.17%
  • perhaps it's not the best, but still better than any axis fighter

2 4.17%
  • ordinary ww2 fighter aircraft

9 18.75%
  • fneb

8 16.67%
    DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    Following too much "P-51D won teh war" threads, it's time for a change.
    Time for truth; did Spitfire w0n the war or perhaps contributed more than P-51 or...?
    Lately I can smell some serious anti-Spitfire bias growing up, so I thought this will be nice to show that most of us still respect that plane.

stathem's Avatar Senior Member
    Megile ftw.

He ties his flies much more subtly.

Morale booster if nothing else. Just ask any Englishman who lived through the war which warplane was the best...civilians too.

K_Freddie's Avatar Senior Member
    during the first half of the war it was the most important weapon Britain had, thanks to Mitchell's foresight. Although the hurrincane played and important role too, it was outclassed very quickly, so this gap had to be/and was plugged by the spit.
    Without this plane the odds of operation sea-lion being launched would have been very high.

I don't fly the spit in game much, my baby's are the me109's and more so the FW190's..

The Spitfire contributed nothing.

Those who flew, fixed, armed, built etc them contributed a hell of alot, often their lives.

Bewolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Amen.

Same to every other aircraft. Ppl that are so fixated on aircraft, no matter if red or blue, should consider their priorities in life. Though legit in principle, the dimensions this reaches on this forum can't be labelled healthy anymore.

DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by stathem:
    Megile ftw.

He ties his flies much more subtly.
    But I have more options, so my thread must be better or at least more accurate

Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:
    The Spitfire contributed nothing.

Those who flew, fixed, armed, built etc them contributed a hell of alot, often their lives.
    Yes but if they had flew some different aircraft (I wont name it *cough*) I guess we'd be all speaking different language now

It's not the same if you fight a war with machine gun or a pistol... on this occasion I remembered what one British officer said about machine guns at the beginning of ww1: "machine guns are overrated" It didn't took long before he realized just how wrong he was.

Insofar as the Spitfire gave Blakeslee, Gentile, Goodson and other U.S pilots a start before moving on to the war winning P-51, I would say that it's contribution is not inconsiderable.

Without the Spitfire and Hurricane, the US would have been hard pressed to mount the liberation of Europe from the east coast of America.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... Last ►►