March of Fire character names and backgrounds

With the Wu Lin comes a new practice in how For Honor are sharing characters with us, rather than giving us units (ie Wardens and Raiders), they are giving us characters with names and backstories. Taking one of the new characters.

The Nuxia – Kaili: Kaili was a bodyguard trained as a dancer sworn to protect a powerful governor. When an army attacked the palace she protected, Kaili rallied nearby allies to help, but she was betrayed by those she trusted. After exercising her revenge on those who betrayed her, she shed her dancer's robes and donned a warrior's armor. With a bounty on her head, Kaili turned west, never to trust again, and hungry to engage every fight with a dancer's grace and a killer's precision.

I quite like this, it takes us closer to the general fighters where we have a character, not a faceless unit, something to get invested in and care about. So my question with this is given all of the characters are getting this treatment along with voice acting are we going to see their names and such in character select? So for example, kind of like Tekken we might have, rather than Nuxia,

Kaili
    (Nuxia)

What do people think of the devs going with a more character based approach as opposed to unit based and is this something that people would like to see more visible in the likes of character select?

I for one enjoy it. It seems to give the character a "face" of sorts. Someone you can relate to or sympathize. I plan on playing Kaili i have never really played a character that was added to the game. All in all i would truly love for the devs to give a story for all other characters as well it adds a level of surrealism and Id be interested in the story of my pk

Vakris_One's Avatar Senior Member
    It's nice and all but it feels like the devs forgot that this game isn't a table top RPG where opposing players have to choose different characters. What happens when two Nuxia's meet? Kaili's evil twin? What about a team of 4 Nuxi's vs another team of 4 Nuxi? A cloning experiment gone horribly wrong? Alternate reality versions of Kaili meeting?

I prefer the heroes as units and let us, the players, make up our own hero backstories if we want. I'm not really into being forceably led by the devs as to who my own visually customised character is in a game that allows for multiple "clones" of this character. It just starts to feel wierd that we're all of a sudden playing the same person like Scorpion vs mirror Scorpion or Ryu vs Dark Ryu or Earth 1 Batman vs Earth X Batman. This was never that type of fighting game so I don't see the point in turning it into that with singular cookie cutter characters as apposed to individual warriors whose background is entirely up to the player.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Vakris_One Go to original post
    It's nice and all but it feels like the devs forgot that this game isn't a table top RPG where opposing players have to choose different characters. What happens when two Nuxia's meet? Kaili's evil twin? What about a team of 4 Nuxi's vs another team of 4 Nuxi? A cloning experiment gone horribly wrong? Alternate reality versions of Kaili meeting?
    There is a joke here about asian people and westerners inability to tell them apart but if I say more I might get in trouble.

I'm a bit on the fence about this one. On one hand it's a nice beefy upgrade to the game, tones of content and it could be very fun to see what happens to a lot of the characters. Personally I really want to take a closer look at Conqueror's backstory. With this said I agree that it will feel weird with mirror matches. It didn't before because we only played units, whole teams of the same hero or even same hero on opposing teams were not a big deal (except for them obviously being traitors). Now that everyone is getting a name and a story... Yeah, might get weird.
    In the end it's just a game, so I don't think it'll matter that much if I should run into my evil twin or my whole damned family for that matter. I'm just glad that we're able to get an update of this size this far along the game's lifetime and that is after months of "this game is dead"-threads and times where I actually considered leaving the game because of different reasons. Things are happening behind the curtain (lacy, gently wafting curtains) and it's payoff time.

PDXGorechild's Avatar Senior Member
    Gotta agree with Vakris, I prefer having faceless units so you can make your own character.

Originally Posted by PDXGorechild Go to original post
    Gotta agree with Vakris, I prefer having faceless units so you can make your own character.
    I kind of get that, I write in my spare time (not published) and when there is no plot but it is game after game as For Honor is I make my own story up to amuse myself so I can see the attraction of that, at the same time the backgrounds appeal to me as well in that they are things to hook on to, we have a taste of their background and that hook is something that you can spin a lot of things from. At the same time yeah I get the other side of it too, do we have twins? Clones? I would quite like games where no one character and gender pair is duplicated in the game, that is not something that can happen with the current matchmaking though as that makes it harder on newcomers and that is why I argue so strongly against single pick under this matchmaking.

The way I put it on reddit is I remember fights from my childhood with E Honda, King and Scorpion, would they have stuck in mind so much if it were Sumo Wrestler, Masked Wrestler and Ninja? I can honestly live with it either way, my one top takeaway from this is this is a game and world the devs are invested in and I am happy to see the effort they are putting into something they could have abandoned a year ago.

The_B0G_'s Avatar Senior Member
    Has anyome seen the new Vanguards dodge combos? Ugh... he can triple dodge attack.

PDXGorechild's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by CandleInTheDark Go to original post
    I kind of get that, I write in my spare time (not published) and when there is no plot but it is game after game as For Honor is I make my own story up to amuse myself so I can see the attraction of that, at the same time the backgrounds appeal to me as well in that they are things to hook on to, we have a taste of their background and that hook is something that you can spin a lot of things from. At the same time yeah I get the other side of it too, do we have twins? Clones? I would quite like games where no one character and gender pair is duplicated in the game, that is not something that can happen with the current matchmaking though as that makes it harder on newcomers and that is why I argue so strongly against single pick under this matchmaking.

The way I put it on reddit is I remember fights from my childhood with E Honda, King and Scorpion, would they have stuck in mind so much if it were Sumo Wrestler, Masked Wrestler and Ninja? I can honestly live with it either way, my one top takeaway from this is this is a game and world the devs are invested in and I am happy to see the effort they are putting into something they could have abandoned a year ago.
    Well, we kinda did have loosely fleshed out characters for each class if you played the single player. Ragnar, Mercy etc. The main part of Mortal Kombat was single player from what I remember of playing it on an arcade machine in roller city in the 90's. The fact you could play against your friends on it as well always seemed like an afterthought. I guess having specific characters with their own individual stories is necessary to tell a story in single player games. Whereas it sells multiplayer games better to let people customise and create their own character.

But yeah anyway, the only way i'd see single pick working is if the population grew and we had a "team fortress" style game mode where you picked a role, first come first serve, and you're locked with one class for that game. The characters could have a bit more fluff then. Would be interesting.