Thread: We need more generic shapes | Forums

We need more generic shapes

Trying to build a space related map to get ready for the next DLC and noticed that we are missing some generic shapes that would help a great deal.

Please add spheres, cylinders, tubes and curved walls of varying sizes.

I really want to build a shuttle crash site where you'll move from the interior of the shuttle to the exterior, so you'll see everything... and I don't want to just use the silo interiors with their ugly exteriors showing. I would much rather create something from scratch.

Also... about the space assets. I read today that the Vietnam weapons and AI won't be added to the editor until mid July. Can we try not to make the same mistake with the space stuff? Can we get all of the weapons and AI added alongside either the asset pack or at the very least the DLC itself? I think this goes a long way in getting people amped up for when the DLC hits.

Please rethink your release strategy...

And add some more generic pieces while you're at it 😆

Thanks guys. Still loving the game. Keep it that way.

Should also have a option to paint both sides a different texture. Instead of using same piece twice and move it a sliver apart to paint both differently like walls. But then your wasting budget and grid limits.

Originally Posted by GRAW2ROBZ Go to original post
    Should also have a option to paint both sides a different texture. Instead of using same piece twice and move it a sliver apart to paint both differently like walls. But then your wasting budget and grid limits.
    Yep, I can get on board with this too.

I totally agree with both of you. I would also like the addition of arches of different sizes.

I was gonna double down on the walls for different colors for outside and inside walls for my Rustic Inn map. But I got that map on hold. Its more less a bed and breakfast three story lodge and also a big basement. It would have Rainbow Six Siege kinda vibe rappelling in with ropes through windows and maybe breakable spots to breach in and a big parking lot and a pool area.

But I wanted its crammed tightly for choke points. But was worried doubling down with floors and walls for different colors would eat the budget in the grid with a 3 story building and basement. Probably wouldn't have much of a budget to fill it with furniture and decor. I wanted floors and ceilings to have different textures as well.

I made a six story hotel with several interior rooms, a basement, and sewers for SP, and the game was very unhappy when I tried to make an MP version. It was mostly unhappy with my SP version, to be honest, I had to cut a lot of what I wanted to do or make a seperate map out of it (like the exterior).

Originally Posted by UnionHouse Go to original post
    I made a six story hotel with several interior rooms, a basement, and sewers for SP, and the game was very unhappy when I tried to make an MP version. It was mostly unhappy with my SP version, to be honest, I had to cut a lot of what I wanted to do or make a seperate map out of it (like the exterior).
    Ya maxed the grids out fast? That's what I figured for my map. So I took a break from it. Grid limits should be with layers of height as well. Should be separate I mean per levels of flooring. Isn't like we will see through walls and floors with draw distance for memory. Each grid should show like a square cube of max credit limit. So then we can judge how high of a wall or ceiling and how much furniture and decor and junk to scatter around.

I'd like to see the option to paint Generic Shapes "invisible", too. To block paths without building an obvious barricade, or fix the angle of the fire-escape stairs on the Watchdogs apartment buildings, for example.

Also, the texture selection screen would be more useful if it was laid out like the terrain paint screen, with previews in a grid rather than the one at a time list.

Steve64b's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Mr_Chabowski Go to original post
    I'd like to see the option to paint Generic Shapes "invisible", too.
    This probably won't work, because the Generic Shapes will contain an occlusion volume. Meaning if you could look through an invisible texture, all objects behind it would still derender, like here.

There were InvisibleBlocker objects in Far Cry 4's MP maps, so the devs should know the usefulness of those objects. They had no occlusion meshes, would still allow projectiles to pass through and only block the player/vehicles. They would be very useful in FC5, also to keep people from grabbing on to concealed ledges. But they should not be mixed with Generic Objects.

TBH It's the variety of available shapes that appeals, in this instance.

There are window "blocker" objects in the generic shapes section. Though I haven't checked, I doubt they have occlusion meshes applied (or it wouldn't make a very good window).