Thread: About the nukes, something that just clicked after hearing what Jacob said. | Forums

Joseph and all of his people should have went to prison because all that concrete and steel would have protected them from a nuclear blast and nuclear fallout.

If you listen closely throughout the game, theres talks of tension rising with Nuclear weapons being involved. ultimately deciding to resist Joseph means that humanity has crossed the point of no return as he had feared. I dont think the cult would have access to that kind of weaponry, and even if they did I'm sure the government wouldnt have allowed it nor just send a marshal to arrest them for it, theyd do so much more. But I'm still digging around and paying attention to every detail on the new game i started.
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Bungholio115 Go to original post
    If you listen closely throughout the game, theres talks of tension rising with Nuclear weapons being involved. ultimately deciding to resist Joseph means that humanity has crossed the point of no return as he had feared. I dont think the cult would have access to that kind of weaponry, and even if they did I'm sure the government wouldnt have allowed it nor just send a marshal to arrest them for it, theyd do so much more. But I'm still digging around and paying attention to every detail on the new game i started.
    There is the issue of the cult owning the airwaves and tv. So, any information coming from the radio is not credible

Originally Posted by Geronimo_Roeder Go to original post
    i meant that with the bad guy. you are the one who stops him to save his community. so you are doing bad things in the eyes of the cult
    You're the one trying to bring him to justice, therefore you're a bad guy. Being right doesn't make Joseph good.

Great post Treviron, although I don't think this is what Ubisoft was going after. Their post-launch messages seem to imply that the world is falling apart, outside Hope County. But the idea that you, the player, are triggering the nukes as you go, "opening the seals", is great.

It could actually work as an effective narrative device. Somehow, in this fictional world (go along please), Joseph took possession of 3 nukes - possibly through Jacob and his shady military contacts. He has assigned 3 main disciples to hold these nukes, hidden inside the silos.

The silos are strongholds, it's where they keep and reprogram prisoners. If someone ever comes back to save them, the nukes will be triggered. So whoever comes to destroy the cult, will inadvertently trigger the apocalypse in Hope County.

So I don't think Joseph would necessarily "want you" to trigger the nukes, but that he would set things up so that anyone who tries to destroy the cult, if successful, will end up destroying the very thing they intend to save.

It would be an interesting twist.

The opening cutscene pretty much invalidate the nuke ending because it was like documentary opening from the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWr2viyIGgw
     1 people found this helpful

If you look closely, you can see that the nukes in the cutscene detonate at the Whitetail Mountains (possibly further past them), so I'd say that it's not the cult itself, since it's so close to their bunkers. Plus, there was only ONE nuke in the cutscene, not three. Then again, the only missile silo you really see is in John's bunker, not in Faith's nor Jacob's

I'm pretty sure I saw three detonations (bright flashes): one at the church and two on the way to the bunker.

There were three nukes and i dont think they were the cults no. I do like the theory because its pretty well established that you (the player) are what kicks things off but at the same time your just part of the problem. 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions'... thats why i like the theory because it hints at the problem of what good is free will if ultimately the outcome is the same. What good is reaction if its just pushing us down the same path to destruction. The fishman says "The way i see it, the problem with people today is most dont take the time to think before they act."

Have you ever noticed when you kill a peggy 'only you' starts playing softly in the background? That could support your theory but personally i think the story is saying ego and hubris are bad. We all have our own opinions on how fix a problem but to assume that a feeling or belief, that there is one solution is the mark of a fool.

Way to go UBI for telling a story that has depth and some interesting layers to look at.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Ranwolf73 Go to original post
    There were three nukes and i dont think they were the cults no. I do like the theory because its pretty well established that you (the player) are what kicks things off but at the same time your just part of the problem. 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions'... thats why i like the theory because it hints at the problem of what good is free will if ultimately the outcome is the same. What good is reaction if its just pushing us down the same path to destruction. The fishman says "The way i see it, the problem with people today is most dont take the time to think before they act."

Have you ever noticed when you kill a peggy 'only you' starts playing softly in the background? That could support your theory but personally i think the story is saying ego and hubris are bad. We all have our own opinions on how fix a problem but to assume that a feeling or belief, that there is one solution is the mark of a fool.

Way to go UBI for telling a story that has depth and some interesting layers to look at.
    The issue I have with your statements is.....there aren't any choices in the game, other than to play or not to play it. You have absolutely ZERO choice in any actions required to be taken to play the game. You can't leave the area and get help, you can NOT NOT kill Eli, you can't save Faith, you can't go in and capture John, if you don't resist in the end instead of being put back into freeplay area, you are put back to the choice to resist or not, and you don't have any choice about taking or leaving Joseph in the end....
    All the preaching Ubi does in this game, and it is about actions THEY REQUIRED you to do, if you want to play their game....so basically they are preaching that you shouldn't play their game....

As far as the Only You playing on killing peggies...it doesn't do it all the time, but sometimes it does....I think this is less about the theory and more just typical background music to help set mood.

Yeah, Ego and Hubris is bad, and Ubi proved this by having so big an Ego that they put this garbage out.
     2 people found this helpful