Zuurix0's Avatar Junior Member

This is not BGE2 I want

Let's face it, BGE2 is going to another Ubisoft's open-world game, Assasin's Creed with Beyond Good & Evil skin.
    A live service...

Most of the stuff I see in news and trailer are repulsive to me.
    Swearing, weird hybrid stuff, pirates? I don't feel the magic that original BGE had.

Then there was that survey with sneaky questions like "Do you like character customization?", "Replayability", "What do you think about games as a service?"...
    It tells me what Ubisoft wants from BGE2.

The No Man's Sky stuff doesn't interest me. Giant planets that rotate around stars creating real day/night cycles, meteors, procedurally generated cities, vehicles?
    BGE really doesn't need that.

Part of what made original BGE so good, was it's tiny, living, huggable world.
    From what I know the BGE2 world is going to be nothing like that.

I want to believe in BGE2.
    I have some hope. After all, Ancel is in the team and original BGE was kind of open world.
    It did revolve around tough themes like disinformation and it did have hybrids.

When I heard new BGE music in BGE2 videos, my heart jumps, but then I remember what soulless games Ubisoft makes now.

I haven't played new Ubisoft games much - only AC1 and AC4, but as everyone says, all Ubisoft games are very similar in gameplay.
    If BGE2 will be anything like AC4, it will be very bad.

And it's obvious that it will be like AC and other new Ubisoft games.
    I'll happiest man on Earth if it will turn out that I was wrong, but it's extremely unlikely that it will happen when you consider all the things.

If this new BGE will be successful, my BGE is dead.
    If this new BGE will fail, my BGE is dead.

Well, the original will not disappear, so at least I got that
    I'll probably replay it again this year, it will be like the 7th time I'll finish Beyond Good & Evil.
    It's my favorite game.
    My #1 now and probably forever.
     3 people found this helpful

UbiBorghal's Avatar Community Manager
    Hey, Zuurix0! Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We always look forward to hearing from devoted fans of the original such as yourself. I hope that, as we reveal more about the game, you will find something that you like. The team is passionate about this project and hopefully you'll see that passion in the final product.

I invite you to stick around and participate here in the forums and on bgegame.com. Make your voice heard!

Thanks again for being such a loyal fan of the first installment!
     2 people found this helpful

Soulid_Snake's Avatar Senior Member
    @OP

Gotta agree with most of your post.

Games as a service is worrying, as it implies that it will be a multiplayer driven experience with possibly loot boxes and micro-transactions. However, a social experience like bar games(like the original), races could be fun for multiplayer, as long as it's not a stupid stupid shooter. These days the term, "offline mode" implies sp is playing second fiddle to MP which is sad.

The swearing in the trailer wasn't impressive(though some of it is funny, come to think of it), but the game as a whole has matured and it's tackling mature themes so it's expected.

Taking aspects from AC is not a bad thing, the mission variety and design, combat and free-running in Assassins's 2 was fun. Beyond Good and Evil's scope is different to AC though and doubt it's gonna be like it though.

The original did have dense areas to explore, which is what I'm hoping for System 3 as a whole. My concern is what warrants creating entire planets when city areas are more likely to be explored.

Michel Ancel is extremely talented, I trust what he does. Ubisoft should stick to marketing the game, and let Ancel do his thing.

To put it simply I want Beyond Good & Evil 2 to be a single player driven experience!
     1 people found this helpful

CulturalLemur's Avatar Member
    Welcome to the forums, Zuurix0.

I do understand your point of view, I really do, but if you really thought that after very poor sales of the first game and 15 years of waiting you're still gonna get a traditional sequel to BGE with no compromises added and changes made to make it more appealing to a new generation of gamers, then that's kinda on you.

Over the years Michel Ancel kept saying that he wanted BGE to be super big with many planets to explore, the only reason why the first game was so tiny and "huggable" was because it was simply impossible at the time to make it as massive as guys at Montpellier wanted it to be. Now they have this opportunity to fully realise their original vision for the game. This poses an interesting question: should you judge games based on what the devs intended or based on what you wanted/expected?

If one of the reasons as to why you waited for BGE2 was that you wanted to get the answers to questions regarding Jade's origins, then based on what some of the more passionate members of this community dug up I'd say you might just get that in a sequel. I'm not saying that you WILL certainly get the answers, because I don't really know if that's true, but I would say there's a high probability.

bitebug2003's Avatar Global Moderator
    I'm in agreement with the OP.

Forget the sales of the first game.
    The general consensus is that Beyond Good & Evil was loved by all who played it, and had great reviews, and it was even nominated for a bunch of stuff (and even won some categories).
    Also bear in mind that BG&E had to compete against the heavily marketed and hyped up Prince of Persia: Sands of Time an established franchise making a comeback which was released about 2 weeks earlier.

I don't see the charm and immersion from the original in BG&E2.
    The profanity in the trailer left a lasting impression surrounding the tone of the game, and I then read that there are going to be brothels and what have you.

:S

Originally Posted by bitebug2003 Go to original post
    I don't see the charm and immersion from the original in BG&E2.
    I'm sorry you feel that way

In my case the second half of the trailer felt like BGE through and through (the landscapes, the music, Shani taking a nap on Knox's shoulder, the imaginative design of Gada plus its colorful, warm, inviting interior, cool-looking crew, muh gurl Dakini, the sheer beauty and awe of the map sequence and so on), but the first half I also found to be in spirit of the original, despite that one thing you mentioned already. "Strong Culture" instantly made my thoughts go back to "Spanish Bar" track from the first game, the way Shani and Knox assisted each other beautifully during the chase sequence I thought was very reminiscent of how Jade and both of her partners worked together (Kehck escape sequence, anyone?), the design of the city is really unique and it stands out from the crowd IMO, just like the "Venice city" from BGE1...

In short, the charm's all there if you ask me. I don't have a problem with shady characters like Zhou Yuzhu or "a punk-@#& monkey who's always looking for trouble" like Knox swearing like sailors. If it was Jade or Pey'j dropping F-bombs in the trailer, then I would definitely go: "ok, this feels wrong, don't do that ever again please".

Soulid_Snake's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by CulturalLemur Go to original post
    I'm sorry you feel that way

In my case the second half of the trailer felt like BGE through and through (the landscapes, the music, Shani taking a nap on Knox's shoulder, the imaginative design of Gada plus its colorful, warm, inviting interior, cool-looking crew, muh gurl Dakini, the sheer beauty and awe of the map sequence and so on), but the first half I also found to be in spirit of the original, despite that one thing you mentioned already. "Strong Culture" instantly made my thoughts go back to "Spanish Bar" track from the first game, the way Shani and Knox assisted each other beautifully during the chase sequence I thought was very reminiscent of how Jade and both of her partners worked together (Kehck escape sequence, anyone?), the design of the city is really unique and it stands out from the crowd IMO, just like the "Venice city" from BGE1...

In short, the charm's all there if you ask me. I don't have a problem with shady characters like Zhou Yuzhu or "a punk-@#& monkey who's always looking for trouble" like Knox swearing like sailors. If it was Jade or Pey'j dropping F-bombs in the trailer, then I would definitely go: "ok, this feels wrong, don't do that ever again please".
    It feels evolved in so many areas. Story seems like it's gonna be really meaty compared to the original. Hybrid slave theme with influences from India and China from the future, how many games offer that.

Definitely getting Beyond Good & Evil vibes from the music, yet it still feels different. The starting of the tech demo is a good example of this, Indian theme with, "Home Sweet Home" and Beyond Good & Evil's main theme mixed in. The music on it's own has so many layers.

The beauty as you mentioned is there. Getting a, "warm" feel from it, the game could have easily been made to look murky. I really like what they did with Indian architecture by adding holographic signs to it.

There was the fantasy like elements in the original, I don't think they will be returning. Which I'm not fussed about, given the art style of the new game.

What has me curious is how they can match that, "Kheck, rooftop chase scene" from the original and the cutscenes (which modern games still can't touch). The voice-acting in those scenes were stellar.

Ancel is making something unique and not generated by mass market appeal, I hope he can pull it off.

Igl85's Avatar Junior Member
    I agree with OP, I have had reservations since the announcement that the game will be online. All of my excitement from seeing the announcement trailer went out the window when I learned that the game will be online The game is being build to be a cooperative experience. That's just not my cup of tea.

I had the same reaction when I saw Skull&Bones, but I did not really care there, because it's a new IP and I have no attachment to it. This game is different. I loved playing the original, taking photographs, sneaking around, combat was fun. I got excited in 2008 when I saw the first trailer with Jade an Pey'j. I literally jumped up and down in my chair in the middle of the night when BGE2 trailer came up last year. I was holding down screams of excitement, so I wouldnt wake the wife and kids. Then that damn thing was spoken: "online". Ugh.

I remember when MP was just a checkbox that had to be done, otherwise the reviews were complaining about it, and it seems the tables have turned. Now, a SP experience is just a checkbox for some companies (thank god for Sony's games, otherwise I would just play games on GOG).

I honestly have no faith, that this game will be designed to be played as SP experience. It will be an option, but it will be obvious that it was build as coop/multiplayer experience. I have no interest in creating my own character in a BGE2 game. I want to play through a story, not create my own.

I could be wrong, but I can't just take the wait and see route. They want feedback, this is my feedback, it seems I am in a minority, though.

Going back to God of War
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Igl85 Go to original post
    I honestly have no faith, that this game will be designed to be played as SP experience. It will be an option, but it will be obvious that it was build as coop/multiplayer experience.
    Hold your horses. Guys at Montpellier made both Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends where other players can simply drop in and drop out of your game, every level can be played totally solo and while playing with others is arguably more fun playing solo isn't detrimental to your experience. Who says they won't approach BGE2's co-op design similarly?

Originally Posted by Igl85 Go to original post
    I have no interest in creating my own character in a BGE2 game. I want to play through a story, not create my own.
    Words from the man himself, Michel Ancel:

"So you will have strong characters that will be, I would say, like Zelda. You don't play Zelda, but she's very important, she's very active in the game, she's the main character. In our game it's the same kind of thing, you have important bad guys, good guys, all of these things, but you don't play them. But they create the story and the environment. But you create your character and you even, somehow, by travelling and meeting others, maybe saving someone, you create a team, a crew and that's the big connection with Beyond Good & Evil 1, the fact that you have so many different characters that come all together with their own spirituality, gender, race, whatever and they connect each other to succeed for this big quest." (source: https://youtu.be/45SInbDzpQ0)

Just because you'll be given an option to create your own character it doesn't mean that the story is going to be boring, unengaging and forgettable. Just look at KoTOR. Link in TLoZ is pretty much a blank slate while other characters are the interesting ones and that's a kind of approach that proved to be succesful. This whole belief that the story is bound to be rubbish just because you won't play as a predetermined character is just.... ugh.

Colerinho's Avatar Junior Member
    Originally Posted by CulturalLemur Go to original post
    Hold your horses. Guys at Montpellier made both Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends where other players can simply drop in and drop out of your game, every level can be played totally solo and while playing with others is arguably more fun playing solo isn't detrimental to your experience. Who says they won't approach BGE2's co-op design similarly?
    Also another game that comes to mind is the original Watch_Dogs. Also a Ubisoft game as well! The whole thing was singleplayer, but there were certain spots in the map where people could seamlessly join in for a mission or minigame. Or you could have an alert like some event was going on and you could accept/decline to connect to this player in your world. It was completely separate from the story but in my opinion that's one of the best implementations of online/multiplayer in an open-world story driven game I've ever seen, even though it could use some improvements. So I hope BGE will take a similar approach.