UbiPhobos's Avatar Community Manager

Trials Garage #7: Areas of Improvement

Happy New Year, Riders!

For our last Trials Garage article, we took a look at our favorite things about Trials. We loved seeing all the aspects that make the games memorable for you and thank you for sharing those with us. This month we want to take a look at the other side of that coin and focus on what the areas of improvement are. Everybody here loves Trials, but what would you change given the chance? We would like to use this thread to open up what you would change from any point in Trials history and open conversation with others on what they would change.

For our podcast this week, we sit down with RedLynx Associate Producer Julius Fondem and Bert “NovaDarkStorm” James to talk in more detail about what changes they would like to see in the series and what are some of their favorite aspect of the games:

Please share your thoughts and comments with us below! Also, please take a few moments to answer 2-3 general survey questions about your least favorite game & features in the Trials series.

Next month we will focus the Trials Garage article around Fun Bikes. Showcasing how they have made an impact in the Trials series, how we come up with them, and the challenges when implementing in game.

Until then, riders!

-Trials Community Team

Mystiqz_rL's Avatar Member
    Communication.

The garage was a good idea at first but just fizzled out because the people frequenting here realised its just a ploy to keep up knuckleheads engaged. Give us some real imformation man. Franchise is slowly evapporating imo.

EDIT: No reply elsewhere so will add to this post . Reset god damn MP.

Mystiqz_rL's Avatar Member
    Also about next months article the Unicorn was NEVER a good idea...

I really disliked how Trials Fusion's single player was laid out. I prefer it if the skill games, FMX and trials are all separated for I am the kind of player who decides to jump on and specifically want to play skill games.

Also add back static tournaments.

Add wooden assets at the beginning!!!!!!

Add more flat areas in the level editor world.

I would change up the control scheme quite a bit. Use the left trigger as an analog input for braking with reverse only active when the trigger is 3/4 pressed. The X button could be used as an on/off brake with no reverse. I think this would give players more control over the bike because you can come to a full stop more easily and brake without the bike flipping forward instantly but also allow important techniques such as stationery and "flapping" to still be used. The left trigger (gas) should also have more steps or be completely step less IMO. The current amount of 7 is still too noticeable for me with fine throttle control. I'm extremely light handed so let me know what you think about this.

I ShinFenix I's Avatar Member
    You must improve the multiplayer mode with a rank systeme and more game mode to encourage players to improve themself and to keep playing the game through time. Look for example at what psyonix did on rocket league. A rank system as clear as possible and many game mode to enjoy. With this ( and others important points outside the multiplayer ) Trials would maybe finally become an E-sports game.

Originally Posted by XoHAYDNoX Go to original post
    I really disliked how Trials Fusion's single player was laid out. I prefer it if the skill games, FMX and trials are all separated for I am the kind of player who decides to jump on and specifically want to play skill games.

Also add back static tournaments.

Add wooden assets at the beginning!!!!!!

Add more flat areas in the level editor world.
    +1

VEGASTRASH's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Mystiqz_rL Go to original post
    Communication.

The garage was a good idea at first but just fizzled out because the people frequenting here realised its just a ploy to keep up knuckleheads engaged. Give us some real imformation man. Franchise is slowly evapporating imo.

EDIT: No reply elsewhere so will add to this post . Reset god damn MP.
    That about sums it up. Going since last April on this one.

Ubisoft, please be more professional in dealing with your fanbase. You have no timeline, no information, you are just extracting free feedback for a possible for a future title. Then getting bent when people ask for basic dev info. It's entertaining...so thanks.

Originally Posted by VEGASTRASH Go to original post
    Ubisoft, please be more professional in dealing with your fanbase.
    I don't believe Ubisoft as a whole, or even Redlynx should be held accountable for the lack of professionalism demonstrated within this forum. I've lost all hope of a new Trials game releasing before the end of 2018 and have since taken an interest in two other games. One of these games is Fortnite. I'm sure a few people here have heard about it. Battle Royale. Free to play. Excellent community management. Developed by Epic Games. The other game is South Park Phone Destroyer (SPPD). Card based strategy. Also Free to play. Also excellent community management. To my surprise, this game is developed by Redlynx. Recently I was viewing the unofficial Reddit for SPPD and a question was asked, "What will the lifetime of this game be?". One of the Redlynx community managers responded to this question by telling the user there will be content for years to come and then referenced Trials Frontier as a good example of a game Redlynx developed 4 years ago that is still going strong. I found that so ironic. Not quite as ironic as tuning into the weekly SPPD stream yesterday and receiving a warm welcome from BlueBadger though.

I would like to see communication improve as well. However communication is where the money is. If Redlynx were to release a new Trials game to console, I would not be surprised if it were pay to win.

Originally Posted by UbiPhobos Go to original post
    Next month we will focus the Trials Garage article around Fun Bikes. Showcasing how they have made an impact in the Trials series, how we come up with them, and the challenges when implementing in game.

Until then, riders!
    Things like this worry me because I think the majority of players still active on this forum would all agree that the "fun bikes" are the Roach and Pit Viper. My guess would be those aren't the bikes you are referring to. We've already had discussions about those other bikes in the past. Those discussions were behind the release of the Donkey to Fusion, and the removal of the Unicorn MkII from single player global leaderboards. Why do we have to have another conversation about them? So I have a suggestion. How about instead of asking another question that has been answered plenty of times before, the Trials Community Team share with the community what the dev team have been working on in relation to the next Trials game for console? I mean seriously, has any of our feedback over the last 10 months since Trials Garage opened been implemented? Hopefully this is read by someone from the community team. Although the way UbiPhobos closed their post makes it sound as if we won't see them again until the next Trials Garage update!

- Dapper

I might be repeating some of my points from the previous threads, but I'll just list whatever comes to my mind:

- The game should run stable, smooth and reliable, at least on console
    - Issues with the online services should not break the entire experience, particularly not freeze and crash the game randomly, particularly not years after release
    - User interface (menus, feeds etc.) should be more logical, properly navigable with both controller and PC mouse and less laggy
    - In particular Track Central user interface should be improved, including better searching/filtering of tracks and sorting search results etc.
    - The most suitable bike for a track should be pre-selected, not the Baggie or the last one you used, or it should not be necessary to completely quit the track and find and load it again just to restart it with a different bike
    - Playing a track again after watching a replay or watching 2 different replays in a row should not require finding and loading a track again either
    - Notification about friends beating your run should allow going right to the friends leaderboards rather than starting the track
    - Leaderboards should be xplat
    - Track creators should be identifiable and searchable xplat, rather than just FusionShared
    - Fan projects like Ninja Central, Trials Records etc. should be supported with an API providing the necessary data
    - Potentially competetive parts and "fun" parts of the game (wacky skill games, wacky game modes like FMX, tracks optimized for or locked to wacky bikes) should be kept separate, i.e. separate global leaderboards and separate multiplayer modes if applicable
    - Drivelines including "fun" stuff (physics effects, moving objects, platforms breaking down when you touch them, space ships shooting at you etc.) rather than consistent obstacles should also be limited to that "just for fun" section of the game rather than leaderboard-relevant Trials tracks
    - Particularly the harder tracks should only have objects with very consistent hitboxes in the driveline (as opposed to all the rock-based extreme tracks in the Fusion base game, for example)
    - Additional challenges on the tracks were a great addition and should also be supported for UGC tracks
    - The HUD should include a little field showing the name of the track being played, like the one that shows the name of the tournament in Fusion (just would be nice to have e.g. in game broadcasts)
    - The difficulty of UGC tracks should be given based on votes of players rather than the estimate of the creator
    - Somebody should at least be available for spending 5 minutes a day on the forums giving simple answers like "contact support instead", "we are looking into it", "known issue that will never be fixed" etc. instead of often ignoring all problem reports and similar feedback for weeks at a time