Thread: Combat system sucks | Forums

Mandalorian832's Avatar Junior Member

Combat system sucks

Enough said...

Though to be specific, enemies interrupting a move mid swing (not countering) while impossible to counter or block theirs (same level btw), weapons clipping through opponents and still not rendering a hit because they "evaded", etc. etc. etc. FIX IT!

Puryy's Avatar Junior Member
    Well, if you want, change do the "Easy" difficult . This combat style is pretty good,a blend of Dark Souls and The Witcher 3 ( i love both ). Man, this combat style make the game more difficult, but,throughout the gameplay , you get the hang of it and the combat becomes more easly. The unique difficult thing in the game, are the hippodrome races.
     1 people found this helpful

IsAZebraACat's Avatar Member
    You are supposed to use different weapons for different enemy types. If you use a heavy weapon against a fast enemy they will always interrupt you.

The1Raven's Avatar Member
    Mmm, I sort of agree with Mandalorian832.

Haven't played souls, but Witcher 3 has a much deeper and more consistent combat system. Funny thing is that Witcher's normal difficulty is more difficult than aco's Hard difficulty.

Imo, aco couldn't make a Death March type difficulty with this system.

The difference being that Witcher gives the player the tools to avoid damage(which is necessary on Death March) and stay agressive.

But aco's system seems designed to ensure that the player definitely takes damage. You can get locked into animations, during which you can take damage. You can take damage during your dodge. Mandalorian mentioned the interuptions (because evidently everyone's quicker than Bayek). Throw in some fire arrows. And so on.

I think aco's system has a lot of potential. But it needs some serious adjustments if they want to be on par with Witcher.

Uranus888's Avatar Member
    The combat system in ACO does need improvement, indeed, but I am glad they dropped the old combat system and moved into this path and hope they continue to improve it in the upcoming ACs.
    And yet there are still ppl complaining that they want the old stiff combat system back, which is something I don't understand.

The1Raven's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Uranus888 Go to original post
    The combat system in ACO do needs improvement, indeed, but I am glad they dropped the old combat system and moved into this path and hope they continue to improve it the upcoming ACs.
    And yet there are still ppl complaining that they want the old stiff combat system back, which is something I don't understand.
    I'm glad they moved in the direction of a more involved and exciting combat system too. I do wish that they had taken a little from other games with good combat systems instead of trying to re-invent the wheel. But it's a start.

I think they should put a little more thought into the skills. And a little less into making a bunch of different types of weapons.

Like the overpower skill. I spent my points for an over power skill. Not a fury mode skill. But some weapons go fury mode instead. Which is completely different and much less useful.

Or the fast attack combo push. Which if u r using dual swords is a scissor slice and a backward slide, and if u r not practically kissing your opponent, it won't connect.

Or, instead of 4 or 5 different classes of bows which all behave differently and one skill to match each different kind of bow. Why not give us a bunch of bow skills with tiered effects to just make us more effective with a bow.

Or instead of a skill to buy a chariot, why not some skills to make us more effective at mounted combat?

Or the overpower chain throw, which takes a painfully long time to complete. Time during which time we have to aim the camera (which fights back) and allows everyone to run for cover, because somehow every enemy knows exactly what we r about to do.

I could go on, but for now, I won't.

lagrue's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Puryy Go to original post
    Man, this combat style make the game more difficult,.
    That's where you're wrong. This new combat style makes COMBAT more difficult. The game as a whole is WAY easier than previous AC games. I didn't fail a single thing in this game playing on hard, not once except when I ventured into too high level of areas.

In every single previous AC game I failed multiple sequences because of stealth bits in particular. This new combat system has essentially turned the game into Rambo's Creed. There's hardly any places where stealth is viable - even stealth viable areas, it's faster and easier to just run in swords out and attack everybody. Combat requires more dodge and block - I don't consider that difficulty. Difficulty was navigating 20 minute long missions and not being able to kill anybody, be seen or whatever else.

The game is easier because of the combat (tied with the removal of the full synch system), anybody who says otherwise must think AC is only boiled down to combat. The whole point in previous games was to avoid combat as much as possible. Now it's the only thing you do because it's simply easier than trying to navigate areas steathily, and faster and more efficient.

Getting full synch on Da Vinci's Tank mission in Brotherhood was more difficult than the entirety of this game. I've platinumed every AC to date, except 1 because it didn't get trophies, I've done it all - full synched every single one of them. This was the easiest AC game yet.

Mandalorian832's Avatar Junior Member
    Allow me to redact said statement.

Many of you are right and I have to agree, this system is better than the previous ones, I'm just saying that there are core components of this system that need severe polishing.

When a fundamental aspect of a game is left with "loopholes" so to speak, that can make for a very punishing experience, especially when you are performing all the actions correctly. I honestly haven't been this frustrated by a combat system since the old PS2 Smackdown days.

For a taste of contrast, take the Arkham series combat system. No matter what was happening in the middle of a 20 on 1 brawl, you always had some option of negating your opponents attacks at ANY time, even when already engaged, something that is of utmost necessity in engagements of more than one opponent. Now I realize that the Arkham series was no necessarily based on RPG mechanics, but all the more reason to ensure combat is polished in a game where your enemies can be a level or two higher.

Ubi-Boat's Avatar Community Staff
    Thank you for all of the feedback on the combat in Origins, everyone! The team wanted to grant the player the ability to have more freedom and control over their movements while engaged in combat. What are some specific things about the combat you would like to see work differently without taking away from the core combat system that is there?

MnemonicSyntax's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Ubi-Boat Go to original post
    Thank you for all of the feedback on the combat in Origins, everyone! The team wanted to grant the player the ability to have more freedom and control over their movements while engaged in combat. What are some specific things about the combat you would like to see work differently without taking away from the core combat system that is there?
    Giving Bayek the ability to ground stab with the various weapons for enemies on the ground, this should also apply to knocked out enemies instead of having Bayek do a wild swing that's noisy and loud.