Feint to parry

Why can you top feint to side parry? Does the seen actually reasonable at all?

you can perform an immediate parry by hitting the direction and the heavy input at a specifc timing. There is no need to swap guard stances if you can perform that. It is a good tool to bait your opponent to attack an open side.

I think it is good as you can still mess it up resulting in getting hit. If it was not there you would only block incoming attacks most of the time and you would always have to synchronize your guard stance with your opponent's if you wanted to parry (or make the read and switch in time). So yeah, seems reasonable enough to me.

We had on a couple of characters slower guard stance switching times. Those characters really depended on this mechanic since otherwise they would be way too late and in a sense this is the only option to parry a sudden 400ms attack from a different direction.

Jazz117Volkov's Avatar Senior Member
    For Honor has a really sturdy set of core rules. If you can react to the white indicator flash, you can parry the attack, provided you're not in the middle of something else. This means parrying immediately after a feint, from any direction, regardless of where you were guarding.

Also, parrying too soon/late will get you a partial parry animation (has no parry properties at all). Don't try to do it, but just as a reminder, hitting the parry button too early/late will still "snap" your guard to the desired direction and defend against whatever is coming--this is especially useful for slow heroes.
     1 people found this helpful

It is a game. I have to accept its bad values of physics. But faking an attack should not give you the ability to parry.

Jazz117Volkov's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Howard_T_J Go to original post
    It is a game. I have to accept its bad values of physics. But faking an attack should not give you the ability to parry.
    Uh, yes it should.

Feinting to bait a parry, then parrying or guardbreaking the parry attempt is one of fundamentals at mid-level play.

You'll even catch a turtle-master with it on occasion.
     1 people found this helpful

I guess i'm being to literal with my expectation. If you want to see what I mean. Go grab a baseball bat. Feint an attack with it and try to move it to the other side of your body with any power behind it at all. There should be a delay behind feints. The recovery time is too fast.

I don't know if we're on the same page either.

apples and oranges I fear.. You are talking now about two swings in your example whilst a parry is not a(n attack) swing at all. Besides, if you're practiced in martial arts (or just know how you move your body for simple dynamics) you can also chain from a stop into a swing on a different side may it be with a full body rotation or overhead swing as the two simplest examples. There are also some nice certain stopping techniques that enable you to do that even much faster than normal. Only if the weapon is extremely heavy (not baseball bat level) then this might not be possible/very difficult to pull off. But I am getting offtopic here. You can parry in normal fights in any given situation to basically any side. If your point is sth else you might wanna try explaining yourself with a different example

Grab a friend. Get two bokken. Try taking a top swing and then try to block an incoming attack from your friend to the side. You'll mostly likely never be fast enough to get your bokken there to even block. Let alone intercept an attack and repel it. Your footing while taking a top swing is not prime for that for one. Most of your momentum is moving in a forward motion. Jo staff on the other hand felt more like this was possible than a bokken.

I would understand if there was a class that had the ability to heavy into a parry (feint). Just like the classes that can go form heavy to a light attack.

Hell the reason I like Orochi so much is. He's probably the most accurately designed character. You're suppose to end a match in one swing. Not many.

I indeed own a few bokken and I have also trained plenty of people in my life in the very thing you are describing. It's just basic stuff. I assume by "taking a top swing" you say that I should attack. What is true that I might have issues (but not really that much) to defend my side if I dedicated myself entirely to that top swing. But then again, what does the opponent do? He either has to block that attack or try to escape it by dodging. If hedodges and then attacks I have plenty of time to defend myself again, as I have control over the center, he had to go out of it and attack from a different angle. The only scenario for him to strike most likely home easily is by a cheeky dodge attack (dodging barely and attacking at the same time, which falls under a the counter category and counters have in general different timings and follow a different set of rules). But even then, if not caught by surprise one can still manage to move their own body out of the way (but that is sth that comes with experience and practice).

Anyhow as I far as I understood we said we would not do that, we would feint, hence stop at a certain point with the intend to bait our opponent into attacking the seemingly open side. There are plenty of options on how to get your sword back from top to the side. I usually teach 3 possibilities as basic blocks (with the incentive on how to swap most dynamically to the right choice to always defend on time) and then on top you also get some more time for yourself if you know how to use evasive/defensive body movement and then you still can go for even more fancy stuff.. but that of course also depends on the nature of the opponent's swing. If you even think it is/or might be possible with the less maneuverable Jo (a short "wanderer" staff for those who don't know) then it always possible with the shorter and hence more maneuverable bokken.

And yes Orochi's two handed Lightning Strikes are very well done I can agree on that. The one-handed double lights however not so much though imho..

I agree with OP. In terms of the game balance and the mind games aspect you shouldn't be able to feint and bait a heavy for a particular direction but then recover when the enemy does something unexpected.
    If you bait a top heavy but then get thrown a side heavy then it's clear the enemy was anticipating your feint. You shouldn't be able to recover and parry that side heavy since you already gambled on the feint drawing a top heavy.