PERSIAforTW's Avatar Member

Prince of persia in modern day ?????

It was confirmed recently that Splinter Cell art and potential gameplay pitches about a possible new installment are being passed around the company
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ne.../1100-6451217/
    I have suspicions that Pop is in a similar state with the exception of Ubisoft looking to shift the franchise to modern day !
    Namely a Montreal based art school called Pivaut in collaboration with Ubisoft Montreal seem to have organized a project this past Spring called "Prince of Persia in 2017"
    These are examples of concept art pitches by a few of the students :
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bZGwm
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZWO38
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ymrZ9

It might just be an attempt at hiring some of the best students as new artists for the company but I find odd how specific the project is with the modern day setting,the same props and the names Benham for the prince and Ava for a princess being featured on all 3 versions

It does go to show though that Ubisoft IS looking at the possibility of finally making a new game.And the entire art project might be the Montreal studio looking for some fresh inspiration. The modern setting though is something that I am personally stricktly opposed to as it can easily mess up the DNA of the franchises gameplay with modern day schtick like gunplay and driving and bring it dangerously close to the generic parkour action standards of Assassin's Creed and Watch dogs with fully climable open world modern cities.

So what are thoughts on this ??Could it possibly be the real deal? I believe the fans should have some sort of say in the direction of the franchise,,,,

It's clear that Ubisoft has no clue about what to do with Prince of Persia (Look at the project: Prince of Persia -> Osiris -> Assassin's Creed Origin).
    The modern time Prince of Persia was an idea (maybe Desilets was the one who talked about it) but was dropped. I don't think a modern Prince of Persia would be a good idea (even a story in the modern time where the hero is sent to an Arabian nights universe seems not to fit the heart of the franchise). I'm pretty sure it's dead unless Mechner puts a little pressure. In 2015, he said that some stuff are going on about Prince of Persia but he can not talk about it: So, that project might be dead by now, or if it was a kick off, and knowing that games needs 3 years of development cycle, may be we will hear something by next year.
    But any way, I think it's a little bit late for this generation of consoles to announce any break through title including Prince of Persia...

Andorian's Avatar Member
    Though I didn’t like the most of the arts, I like the idea. As far as I remember Ubisoft team was thinking about moving SoT Prince to the modern day. It was going to be one of the sequels in the SoT series (not sure if it was PoP 3 or PoP 4).
    Sounds fun but too similar to Tomb Raider series.

I just hope they won’t turn PoP to a spin-off for AC series.

I came up with a similar idea 10 years ago and sent some pitches to Ubisoft as part of a project for one of my college classes...including the name Benham! ****ers stole my idea! I'll sue!

All kidding aside, most of the ideas I sent were either pitches for the plot of the 3rd game, and the other idea was a political/military thriller with a storyline that was loosely based on Sands of Time and Warrior Within. This is looks more Anime/Comic book. In all honesty, if they actually did use some of the pitches I sent, I'd be flattered even without acknowledgment.

Wouldn't that be theft of your intellectual property though ?? Other people sue for less. Look into it

Anyways, news broke it seems.Let's see if a big enough buzz could trigger a response from Ubisoft

Yes, the news is all over the internet. At least this shows that people are still waiting for a Prince of Persia return.
    And honestly, I still don´t understand what Ubisoft is waiting for, every time there is a rumor about Prince of Persia, the internet goes crazy, just give us some real news already!

@marouane87

What 2015 interview of Jordan Mechner are you reffering to ? The one at Gamelab ?

Originally Posted by PERSIAforTW Go to original post
    @marouane87

What 2015 interview of Jordan Mechner are you reffering to ? The one at Gamelab ?
    It´s with GameReactor, I reviewed the video and I´m sorry, he was just talking about getting back to video games and not specifically Prince of Persia (It seems that I was so excited at the time that my mind store as related to Prince of Persia...)
    Any way, this is the video (you can jump to last minute)

@marouane87

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Still, Ubisoft needs a AAA release for Q4 2018 and come to think of it they've released or announced new entries for all their franchises for these past two years(2016-2017) but for two(splinter cell,prince of persia).So who knows ? Maybe they've finally run out of other options

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►