Thread: Fan feedback | Forums

x Caboose 24 x's Avatar Junior Member

Fan feedback

First of all I would like to start by saying I love the work your studios do. I have been a huge fan of the AC games since the first. Having said that, Iím older now with a family and would love if there was an option to skip or leave adult content out of games. Itís been done in the Call of Duty franchise so I know itís possible. Reason being is I enjoy playing the games with my kids, they actually like watching me be an assassin. And I know there is some content in Origins my wife would care too much for. So I for one will not be purchasing or playing AC origins. I do not play video games with nudity or sexual content in them and I am really bummed about origins because I was really looking forward to running around Egypt. Iíve said since the first game that I hope you guys go to ancient Egypt one day and was very excited when I saw the trailers. I hope someone reads this and considers players with children. Love the universe though so I hope the lore in origins is good.
    Thank you for letting me rant a little.
    Caboose

UbiChrisMANG's Avatar Community Representative
    Moving this thread to the Assassin's Creed forum.
     1 people found this helpful

strigoi1958's Avatar Senior Member
    I have no problem with it being optional but these are games rated mature and as an adult, I exercise my own censorship around my grand children... I do not play mature rated games in front of them even if they had the option to hide any sexual content while showing murder. There are thousands of games to play and the games designed for mature I play in solitude and I'm not selfish enough to want to play them in front of my grandchildren, I play racing games or games that are rated for all ages.

As I said, I have no problem with games having these things as optional but it is not the responsibility of game makers to protect the children whose parents do not exercise their own parental control.

RedSpider's Avatar Member
    @Caboose why don't you just play the game when your children are in bed? You could complete it, then (knowing where the content is that you wish to avoid) play certain parts that your children can watch and enjoy too. Or you could still run around and explore Egypt without doing the missions (this is what I used to do when gaming in front of my considerably younger sibling, complete with giving her the other pad, so that she thought she was playing too).

As @Strigoi1958 has pointed out, it's the responsibility of the parents to know what's suitable and what's not around minors. The game makers rate the game appropriately for this very reason.

x Caboose 24 x's Avatar Junior Member
    Like I said in the post, itís not just the children. I am married and my wife wouldnít be happy with me looking at nude women real or virtual.

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Everybody has their boundaries. Some would be totally fine with the sexual content, but appalled at the violence in Assassins Creed, too.

x Caboose 24 x, I'd suggest checking out reviews when the game comes out. A lot of time, these kind of things are played up to be a lot bigger than they are- they're just talked about so much because the rating systems have to list anything that corresponds to their listed offenses.

It might just turn out that this aspect of the game isn't as intense as you might have initially thought.

SofaJockey's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by x Caboose 24 x Go to original post
    Like I said in the post, it’s not just the children. I am married and my wife wouldn’t be happy with me looking at nude women real or virtual.
    I understand your position, Caboose, but there's an issue with your request, sadly.

It's a mature game, ESRB/PEGI at ages 17-18+
    So why would there need to be a content toggle if it's adults playing the game?

And what would you do, put nude Egyptians in underwear? In a sack? Hard to do.

As RedSpider said, if it's an issue for you kids, wait until they are in bed.
    I have three daughters, all of whom are gamer daughters (they have a gamer dad).
    I introduced all of them to a variety of games when I thought they were ready, in some cases earlier than the 'official' classification, because I know my kids and it's my choice.
    They are now well-balanced teen gamers.

As far as your wife is concerned, hey they're just pixels and I'm sure any nudity is relevant to the plot and setting.
     2 people found this helpful

RedSpider's Avatar Member
    Here is what the ratings summary has stated:

Spoiler:  Show
    "Some cutscenes also depict intense acts of violence: a man beaten to death with an orb; a child getting stabbed. Assassinations and fights are highlighted by cries of pain and large blood-splatter effects. One sequence depicts human body parts and blood in a cave; another scene briefly depicts a headless corpse impaled on a stake. The game includes a mission involving prostitutes and a brothel in which a couple can be partially observed having sex (i.e., moaning sounds).
    Spoiler:  Show
    Female characters are sometimes depicted topless in the brothel; some rooms contain drawings of figures engaged in various sex acts... The words “f**k,” “sh*t,” and “c*nt” appear in the dialogue".

I don't know if we're allowed to post links, but just type "Assassin's Creed Origins esrb rating" into Google to get the full thing. It should give you a rough idea about the content.

strigoi1958's Avatar Senior Member
    @Caboose

Why not just google which mission has the brothel and only play that mission when neither your children or wife is in the room.