I am a newbie from Falcon 4.0 country with a bunch of questions. (1)What are the rules for locking and unlocking the tail wheel? (2)Is it possible to begin a Quick Mission from take-off? (3)I have really been spoiled by ATC directions and the forward placement of the F-16 cockpit. How in the world does one visually acquire landing strips in this sim? I usually end up swinging all over the sky until I stumble across one by dumb luck (when I don't fly into the ground because I am too low and slow). [p.s.-I have only had IL2:FB for 2 weeks, but I am already becoming obsessed with it. The graphics and flight realism are too, too much]

I am a newbie from Falcon 4.0 country with a bunch of questions. (1)What are the rules for locking and unlocking the tail wheel? (2)Is it possible to begin a Quick Mission from take-off? (3)I have really been spoiled by ATC directions and the forward placement of the F-16 cockpit. How in the world does one visually acquire landing strips in this sim? I usually end up swinging all over the sky until I stumble across one by dumb luck (when I don't fly into the ground because I am too low and slow). [p.s.-I have only had IL2:FB for 2 weeks, but I am already becoming obsessed with it. The graphics and flight realism are too, too much]

(1) the tailwheel usually doen't need to be locked unless you're taxiing with a crosswind. Leave it free castering and you'll be just fine. Be advised, however, that tailwheel steering is not implemented in this sim. The wheel's either locked or free castering. You have to steer via differential braking.

(2) Unfortunately, no quick missions from the ground. If you're feeling up to it, check out the full mission builder (FMB). You can build any mission imaginable and once you get up over the hump in the FMB learning curve it takes no time to whip up quick QMB-like missions with the FMB.

(2) As an F-16 jock, you're probably quite familiar with a standard overhead approach, right? You can land WW2 warbirds the same way. Break over the numbers on the far end of the runway and dirty up on your downwind leg. Then do not square off your base leg but instead fly a big round curved approach all the way in to touchdown. If the engine turns left, fly a lefthand pattern and vice-versa, so that you're not fighting the torque. With 10-15 degrees of bank and a gradual curved approach you can see the runway until the last minute... then level off and flare over the numbers and you should be able to feel your way down by looking at visual cues to either side. One other thing, don't drop full landing flaps until you are commited to landing. The "takeoff" setting is plenty until you are certain the landing is going to be good. Otherwise you'll be very slow and precarious if you need to go around. Giving full power to go around when you're hanging on the edge of a stall with full flaps can flip you over (although torque is rather tame in this sim).

if you think visibility is bad now, wait until you try to land a bird with a quart of oil of the windsheild, a bullet in your gunsight, your climb meter, alitimeter, and spedometer nothing but holes, a bullet in your arm, and a good square meter of holes in one of your wings. In a crosswind. In a thunderstorm.

There are few things more fun than that, and even fewer thing that leave you with the same "wipe sweaty palms on pants" feeling of satisfaction if you do it correctly.

I think I'm spoiled by FB.

Tailwheel lock is useful at takeoff. Go into your "controls" section in the sim to check what the comand is for tailwheel lock. I've got it as Ctrl T. Works well for me.

Gyre

3ghz Northwood on a gig of fast rambus stuff. Mitsu 930sb and 9700pro. Saitek x36usb, WinXP, TBSC sound, and a partridge in a pear tree.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    u can ease yourself down by raising flaps, i do this on touchdown to avoid boucning

Cosmo--

"You have to steer via differential braking" is not modelled in this sim, either. This is a minor gripe and one of the few that I have with IL2:FB. Brakes for both wheels are ON or OFF together unless I'm totally missing something (like when I try to shoot something ).

To steer when on the ground, judicious use of the brakes, rudder, and throttle are the way to go, and practicing how fast you can make turns while taxiing. On a close in carriage like the spit or the 109s, turning hard is not an option. For a wide stance aircraft like a P51, you can turn harder/faster.

Back to the poster's questions:
    1. I never lock the tail wheel
    2. No (see cosmo's post)
    3. Learn to use the Delete-End-PageDn keys (or have them mapped to your stick for easy access) as well as get used to looking out at 45 and 90 degrees from your cockpit (either hat switch, mouse, or TrackIR2 if you have the $$$). You can then scan across the horizon and when you see something remotely resembling an airfield, zoom in and look. You have to do lots of gradual banking and looking anyway to check your six, just do it forward. Also, use the map if you let yourself. That's the easiest way to find the bases.

Welcome to the Prop Addicts (not-) Anonymous!

* _54th_Speeder *

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    I rarely lock my tail wheel.
    I find that differential braking though not modeled can be simulated by hitting the brakes when you use full rudder in whatever direction you want to turn. I can do doughnuts in the dirt.
    As far as the take off thing... you should download the UQMG ASAP. Basically wht it is is a tool that gives you QMB ease of use with FMB power. It is an indispensible tool IMO for anyone who flies in FB and wants to take more control over how they fly. The FMB though a little intimidating at first is not as hard as it may seem. Try to get on some kind of voicre com with someone who knows how to use it and have them talk you through it. Thats how I learned. You can get the UQMG from the link in my sig. I also suggest you go through the Sturmovik Essentials thread at the top of this forum.

Landing. Just practice. You will get the hang of it. I like to look at the map I am flying in before I take off. I find that in FR servers or offline in FR settings, by looking at the map every few minutes I can keep track of where I am better.

Welcome aboard.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>vflyer@comcast.net[/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>99thPursuit Squadron IL2 Forgotten Battles[/list]
    UDQMG | HYPERLOBBY | IL2 Manager | MUDMOVERS

SithSpeeder - brakes are proportioned according to the position of the rudder pedals.

If you keep the pedals centered when applying the brakes, the braking force will be even.

If you kick the right pedal all the way, 100% of the braking force goes to the right main wheel, etc... maybe it's no apparent to folks without twist sticks and/or pedals. They're missing out on a very cool feature of this sim

Russian and British fighters did had hand brakes, not toe brakes. The sim accurately models Russian/British style where the rudder pedals themselves control proportioning, while the brake lever itself is squeezed by hand. German and US planes with the more familiar toe brake system have to suffer through a minor inaccuracy, but it's not the end of the world.

Cosmo--

I think we're both kinda right. I'm just being a jerk on semantics (re: differential braking). So to quote Tully in a Febuary 13, 2004 post:

"CH or Simped, get the USB versions rather than the gameport.

Differential toe brakes aren't (directly) supported because the sim uses the UK/Russian braking mode. In aircraft of those nations, the common method was to have a brake lever on the control column (you can see it move when you apply brakes on Russian a/c in the game) with left/right balance controlled by the rudder pedals." (see http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=t...83&m=464107642 )

The bottom line is what you said, though. Those who do not have rudder pedals are missing out

Also, apparently the sensitivity is tweakable? I'll have to try that, as my left rudder pedal seems to have a better effect on quick turning on the ground (whether rudder left or right).

* _54th_Speeder *