A good place to get a feeling for UE4 from are also their content examples. You can download them from the launcher -> marketplace. There are also many other free demos.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ntentExamples/

So I opened the engine and started messing around with a first person template. I had a couple questions though as I don't really have time to do tutorials now while I work.

1. How do you import the DEM file? I downloaded the main one I wanted. It is titled South Twin Mountain and is in Grafton County. You mentioned a program called VUE to convert the DEM to an image, but it is a couple hundred dollar paid program.
    2. When it comes to the area I ultimately want to do, it appears that the area is split between two adjacent DEM files. Is there any way to combine the two. The final version may involve things like roads, trails, streams, etc. Once the terrain is down I would have to do these as well.
    3. When hiking in the mountains you might notice that as you get closer to treeline, the trees change. They become sparser and smaller. There is also a greater number of dead trees. How do you flag parts of the terrain mesh to generate differing types of terrain?

-k

You do it like this:

1. You do not import the DEM directly, but UE4 needs it to be converted to 16bit png image format. Vue is a professional tool and I import the DEM there, it exports 16bit tiff and then I convert this to 16bit png using ImageMagick. There must be also free solutions available with some googling. But do not worry, I can very quickly do it. It takes only a few minutes.
    Here is the south twin mountain.DEM converted to 16bit png for Unreal Engine. The edges are weird in Webgis. I removed them with the UE4 landscape tool for the Hike&Climb demo..
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_g...ew?usp=sharing

2. Either you simply use two landscapes and bring them close to each other in UE4, which will potentially leave some sharp edges at the transition because the heightmaps do not go smooth into each other. Or you manage to get into photoshop or any other programm that can handle 16png and merge them there, But this is generally a tricky thing.

3. That's the artistic part. (that I did not do yet for the hike&climb demo). For trees, you would create multiple procedural foliage spawners, each with different scales and denstities. After they did their procedurial work, you would go into the foliage tool and paint/erase manually until you are happy. Actually, maybe it is even possible to tell UE4 to consider density/scale vs. height in one procedural foliage spawner. I have to look that on up.
    Instead of trees, you can use simple spheres and cubes to test all this. Also the underlying material textures would ideally be matched to height (less greenish the higher it gets,....).

Alright, I just checked height dependent scale/density. Did not find anything. So you need multiple foliage spawner for different heights. I tried on the my test file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_g...ew?usp=sharing

It has a procedural foliage spawner set up now. Scattering Foliage in UE4 is either done manually with the foliage tool (top left, the leaf symbol) or automatically using foliage spawners. To check out the spawner, go top right in the list to find it, then scroll down its details panel until you see 'resimulate'. Press it, wait a bit and there will be scots pines and cube/sphere dummies scattered on the terrain. You can edit/delete them then with the foliage tool (top left corner leaf). Quite simple, it is for artists really.

Thank you for the converted file. Unfortunately I haven't had time this weekend to really get into it. I'm only online at the moment to send my timesheet in as I have to be on site tomorrow at a drilling project. I will definately check it out.

-k

Le sigh Nafets4u

"Aggressive steep defenders" "smash rage"....i was thinking about it, afterall it wasnt too difficult to find out everything i needed to know. But then i read about the accident aaaaand it all made sense. So i wont...one powder hound to another. Its cool that you made an enviornment to hike around in...im an avid hiker as well so i can appreciate these things. I certainly cant however fully appreciate lines of code and physics integration into a game. I experience them and get enjoyment from such events in game but cant really know the struggles of integrating such motions into a game. Clearly you can. I just likes what i likes to put it simply. I guess then in that aspect im lucky....im not tortured with such burdens because i dont goof around with such engines. Im sure a simple search could reveal me and what i do so ill save you the trouble....i build homes. So when i see ****ty construction and things done not up to my standards it boils my blood. I get now thats why you feel it necessary to run on and on about Steep. You were freaking pumped!! And it let you down...but unlike others without a vested interest who just put the game down it ate at you. Hence the alternate accounts, the flaming, the relentless banter etc. I feel for you man, but you gotta let this go. The game wont ever live up to your expectations.

I wish i could play your trail runner game as i said i freaking love the outdoors...but my machine absolutely sucks. I can barely run gmod on it :/
    Good luck on your endeavors, i really do hope though that you stop the trolling on reddit with alt accounts though as it isnt becoming and i think you are smarter than that (even though others arent)

That's what I was afraid of when posting my stuff here, people finding my true identity. Now I am exposed! But I do not come from 3D/CGI background. It is only hobby for me. I was a heavy scientist rocking ivy league universities, then I switched to become an ridiculously overpaid engineer. So lucky me, I work with my head, not my legs, and all is good.
    Yes, I am a mountain sports man, I guess all of us here are. And even if I can not snowboard or hike anymore, there is the bike and the kayaks. And they will be in Trailrunner. In fact, the kayak is almost ready. I photoscanned one of my Inflatable Kayaks on a soccer pitch last week and it turned out well.

Top Image is from Agisoft Photoscan, next two from trailrunner, and the last two I took when kayaking on the Plansee/Alps, which is only 1 hour by car for me.
    There we go.

btw, I am really not this guy theshow/prettyboy or whatever his name. Last month I opened two accounts on reddit because they banned me here and I got Steep-bored, but that's it really. The mods can definitely check it. TheShow seems to be from the US, I am from Europe.The IPs should be completely different. As opposed to theshow I also only critize steep. I never took a shot at any user.

gnarlyDUCK's Avatar Member

Kayaking is done, and also swimming.
    Now there are four means of reaching your goal: Walking/Running, Climbing, Kayaking, Swimming. This adds a lot of tactics when it comes to finding the best route to reach the goal.

Saving/Loading a trip is also possible now. Much better this way, since trips can take easily more than 3 hours across the map and now you can stop and continue later, which actually feels like taking a hiking break in real life.

Mid-ground vegetation (bushes,...) is also done now. Looks much more diverse now. Also a huge background terrain is in there now. You can free-look while kayaking to check out the cool nature, much like in real life. All is 60fps on my GTX980 in 1920x1080.

Everything around the Kayak is photoscanned in Agisoft Photoscan. I hate modelling and the models do not have much mesh clean up on them. Good enough for me. Kayak/Paddle water effects are recorded with my Tascam Recorder. I kayak in real life and took it with my on the water the other day.

(no upload yet, still need to finish some bits here and there in the gameplay logic)

https://vimeo.com/237224874

gnarlyDUCK's Avatar Member
    That is impressive. I bet you could start a patreon and start funding for your project.