Thread: New Skill Ideas! | Forums

Originally Posted by akilyoung Go to original post
    I will say, Primal pretty much invented anything I can even think of...there were so many!

I dont even know what they could add to FC5...

I guess plane related stuff, bombs, guns, etc.

Maybe skydive out of flying plane strapped with explosives to use the plane as a missile?
    The only reason Primal had so many skills is because they took the basic necessities that players would normally have in the other games and made them a skill. Some I agree with, others I don't. Like players needed actually needed a skill to tag enemies and a whole other skill to tag animals. So, a lot of them were pathetic.

The modern day FC games should make the carrying enemies a skill, without doubt. As well as the driving and shooting, that should've been a skill.

HorTyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Viragoxv535 Go to original post
    Of Far Cry i prefer the arcade and straightforward shooter side. I'm not very fond of RPG elements with one rare exception being Shenmue who had skills embedded cleverly into the side quests.
    Huh, I see it very differently. I think some lite-RPG elements are a good thing and add depth to the gameplay. I prefer games where you are more capable at the end than you were at the start, as it demonstrates that the character grew & learned through the experience. If there was no skill system and we could do everything from the outset it would, I feel, diminish the journey our character goes though, and also reduce incentive to try things in multiple ways utilizing a variety of new abilities.

When you can do everything the entire time, it's going to fall very quickly into the routine of simply going with the path of least resistance. I very much enjoy the lite-RPG mechanics, and honestly I feel like if they're going to do clothing options for character customization they could sprinkle a bit of RPG elements in there as well and have the various items provide buffs like increased default carry limits or faster sprinting. At least then the customization might serve a purpose.

Originally Posted by Canadian Beer42 Go to original post
    The only reason Primal had so many skills is because they took the basic necessities that players would normally have in the other games and made them a skill. Some I agree with, others I don't. Like players needed actually needed a skill to tag enemies and a whole other skill to tag animals. So, a lot of them were pathetic.

The modern day FC games should make the carrying enemies a skill, without doubt. As well as the driving and shooting, that should've been a skill.
    Yeah, they cut some of the skills into chunks & made what was one skill into 2. Then they just had lame skills as well like increased radius for unfogging the map as you explored and more resources gathered at a time, and then more items crafted at a time, the only reason that game had SO many skills is because they just split them up way more than they needed to be... Primal was, IMO, a misstep. It wasn't a terrible game, I still bought it and played through it, but definitely less so than any FC before it...

Some good ideas here, though I do think we should have control over the 'for hire' crew, animals AND humans, simply to add more depth to the game.

As for specific skills, id like to see the following:

-Side strafing
    -Reverse strafing
    -multiple levels of speed (running faster)
    -rolling after falling to break fall and minimize/eliminate fall damage
    -swimming speed
    -flying ability (GTAV style)
    -certain parkour moves
    -multiple rear takedown animation, randomized, keeping the same controller function (R3)

Originally Posted by HorTyS Go to original post
    Not sure what you mean by skills being limited similarly to carrying weapons, but since FC3 introduced skills there have always been some that require specific actions to unlock, not unlike the challenges in DOOM, however there are also others that do not have those requirements. However FC games are more centered around the skills and it is not a linear game like DOOM, so I don't know that skill acquisition is something that should work similarly as just the basic structures of the game differ so much you need to be able to get skills in different ways & at different times etc.

If I remember weren't the skill challenges on specific levels in specific areas? Or was that for something else? I can't remember, been a while now. I do hope they sort of "open up" the skill tree a bit more now though & don't gate certain skills behind less desirable ones so much. I do seem to recall hearing Dan Hay say that the GFH/FFH "grow with you" as you level up and such, not sure if that means they have skills you can unlock for them or not, but it sounds like there will at least be new things they're able to do later in the game that they weren't when you first started using them..
    For me skills are things you learn or become adept at doing. If you need specific equipment but don't have it then naturally you cannot perform the skill even though you have developed it. My main point about acquiring the skills is to make it something you must work at to earn. In Doom the Rune challenges were spread across all the initial levels until you had them all. There were two challenges per level and available on all but the last couple levels or thereabouts. I think they were ordered deliberately so you didn't get the really good ones until later in the game. They all have some application and can be employed to your benefit as you become familiar with the overall story development and what things unlock at what points.

Thinking about it, I don't know if Doom would make a good sandbox game. The game would have to be such that you could still experience the story unfolding linearly while completing missions at random. Might be interesting if sandbox games become more prevalent.

Originally Posted by scrapser Go to original post
    For me skills are things you learn or become adept at doing. If you need specific equipment but don't have it then naturally you cannot perform the skill even though you have developed it. My main point about acquiring the skills is to make it something you must work at to earn. In Doom the Rune challenges were spread across all the initial levels until you had them all. There were two challenges per level and available on all but the last couple levels or thereabouts. I think they were ordered deliberately so you didn't get the really good ones until later in the game. They all have some application and can be employed to your benefit as you become familiar with the overall story development and what things unlock at what points.

Thinking about it, I don't know if Doom would make a good sandbox game. The game would have to be such that you could still experience the story unfolding linearly while completing missions at random. Might be interesting if sandbox games become more prevalent.
    I feel like sandbox games are more prevalent now than ever, but DOOM to me doesn't seem like a franchise that needs to nor should get in on it. These days games are taking the open world approach just for the sake of it and to the detriment of the product, just look at Sniper Ghost Warrior 3. DOOM and it's gameplay just don't seem like something that would gel well with an open world structure, and thats fine.

FC though I think is in a unique position among shooters. For one thing, it is not a military centered game and I love that about it. Honestly with FC5 I was actually a bit disappointed that we are playing as someone in law enforcement because to me that sort of goes against what I really enjoyed about FC3/4 in that we are not a person trained for firearms use or someone who has rules or orders to follow. We played an average Joe thrown into an extreme situation where we have to take up arms just to survive.

The skill system I think really goes a long way in showing that the protagonist is learning new abilities and growing and progressing throughout their journey. It's implementation and being done through menus is sort of just an aspect of being a videogame, there isn't really an elegant way of unlocking that type of thing in gameplay. Even if it was done via a gameplay trial as in DOOM, confining it to a mission marker potentially halfway across the map is as much a game-ism as doing it via a skills menu...

As for new skills, I think a sliding takedown would be a cool new addition, but I think they should also make it so we can still shoot whilst sliding!

MikeJDRW's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by HorTyS Go to original post
    From what I gather, the start of the game has you & 2 other deputies coming to investigate accusations against Joseph Seed with the intent on arresting him. I don't think the story is set up in a way that they really expect much resistance (hence just sending 3 deputies) so they're probably ill-prepared for the situation. Probably just showing up with side arms and maybe a shotgun & an AR in the truck ya know? I also get the vibe that the weapons in the game will be more of the makeshift variety than the tactical SWAT/ Military type gear, though one of the Seed brothers is supposedly ex-military so he probably is the source of all the firepower for the cultists... just some hypothesizing, but...
    You should see Wal-mart at the start of hunting season - everyone from their kids, to parents have camouflage pants, shirts, jackets and do-rags on their heads - and I mean everyone! Even the babies have cammies on....So why not implement those garments on the town folk? As for deputies? They regularly carry pistols, shotguns and M-4s even while on the street. Had them in a neighborhood S of me once looking for some bank robbers and the M-4's were out in plain view. So don't think deputies around here aren't armed to the teeth. What about an armored car or so that the Federal Govt was giving to Sheriff Depts around the country a couple of years ago?

I doubt many folks have tear gas, but how about fashioning a bee hive that one can grab by a branch and throw into a window or down a chimney? That would be more realistic.

Originally Posted by MikeJDRW Go to original post
    You should see Wal-mart at the start of hunting season - everyone from their kids, to parents have camouflage pants, shirts, jackets and do-rags on their heads - and I mean everyone! Even the babies have cammies on....So why not implement those garments on the town folk? As for deputies? They regularly carry pistols, shotguns and M-4s even while on the street. Had them in a neighborhood S of me once looking for some bank robbers and the M-4's were out in plain view. So don't think deputies around here aren't armed to the teeth. What about an armored car or so that the Federal Govt was giving to Sheriff Depts around the country a couple of years ago?

I doubt many folks have tear gas, but how about fashioning a bee hive that one can grab by a branch and throw into a window or down a chimney? That would be more realistic.
    Pistol, shotgun & rifle are exactly the examples I mentioned, so I don't have any disillusions about what the rural law enforcement pack. I live in MT, I know what they got. My point was that based on the limited info we have about the early part of the game and a bit of speculation on my part, I was just hypothesizing the potential reason why we are so woefully unprepared to handle the situation the game puts us in.

Page 5 of 5 ◄◄  First ... 345