Thread: Rocksmith on iOS: General Questions & Answers | Forums

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith ComDev

Rocksmith on iOS: General Questions & Answers

Rocksmith for iOS is currently only available in Canada and can only be played on an iPad. It will be made available worldwide with support for additional iOS devices at a date to be announced later.

You can find a detailed FAQ at rocksmith.com under the Support section. For convenience I'm reposting it here, but if you are a Canadian player seeking this FAQ in French, please check rocksmith.com in your region -- there's a localized version waiting for you.

Hopefully this handles the big stuff, but if you have additional questions or need clarifications after reading the FAQ, please post them in this thread and the Ubi folks will do our best to answer them. If you have specific feedback, bug reports, or other comments related to your experience after using the app, please post those in our official feedback thread, as the dev team is watching that thread specifically. Thanks!

Rocksmith iOS – Soft Launch FAQ

What is Rocksmith?

Rocksmith is the fastest way to learn to play guitar on your iOS device. Use your device’s microphone with your acoustic guitar or connect your electric guitar or bass through an iOS audio interface and learn to play at your own pace. We’ve licensed a growing library of popular songs recorded by their original artists, so you’ll be able to learn to play the music you already know and love.

Rocksmith is currently in a limited soft launch release in Canada on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch A worldwide release and iPhone/iPod Touch compatibility are planned for the future.

I’ve never touched a guitar before. Will this really teach me to play?
    Yes! Like any teaching method, you’ll need to put some effort into it, but Rocksmith was designed to make the usually boring parts fun. It will also adjust the difficulty so you’re challenged but not overwhelmed, and it will offer feedback to help you improve your playing.

I already know how to play. What can Rocksmith offer me?

Rocksmith listens to you play and adjusts to your skill level. If you’re an experienced player, Rocksmith will recognize this and adjust its complexity accordingly. You can also manually adjust the difficulty, and Rocksmith will guide you from there, either way, you’ll be able to learn at a pace and practice at a level that’s right for you. Plus, as an experienced player, you can use Rocksmith to slow down, repeat, and refine your performances on the more complicated segments of your favorite songs from a growing library of popular tracks. You can also dive straight into the advanced techniques detailed in Rocksmith’s interactive lessons.

How much does the iOS edition of Rocksmith cost?

The iOS edition of Rocksmith is a free app; it comes with four songs, which are exclusive to Rocksmith. Additional songs are available as in-app purchases.

How is the iOS edition different from other editions of Rocksmith?

The core experience of learning to play guitar will feel familiar to players of other editions; the proven Rocksmith teaching method remains. Some of the interface has been redesigned to better fit the iOS platform. As time goes on, we plan to expand the functionality of the iOS edition, so you’ll see more features appear over time.

Will my iOS device run Rocksmith 2014?
    The iOS edition of Rocksmith was designed for devices running iOS 9.0 and later. Older devices or devices running earlier versions of iOS are not supported and not recommended.

Does Rocksmith support iPads with a 30-pin connector?

Yes, as long as that iOS device supports iOS 9.0 or later. Check your device for its OS compatibility.

Does Rocksmith work with my iPhone?

During the period of limited availability, the iOS edition of Rocksmith will only support iPad devices. However, we are planning to add iPhone support when the app is released worldwide.

Does Rocksmith work with my iPod Touch?

During the period of limited availability, the iOS edition of Rocksmith will only support iPad devices. However, we are planning to add iPod Touch support when the app is released worldwide.

Can I play Rocksmith offline or in airplane mode?

The initial setup requires an internet connection, but after that, you can play offline or in airplane mode. You’ll also need an internet connection if you’d like to download additional songs, but once downloaded, those can also be learned offline.

Can I use an acoustic guitar with my iOS device to play Rocksmith?

Yes! The iOS edition of Rocksmith uses the integrated microphone on your iOS device to hear your acoustic guitar. Make sure your guitar is positioned close enough to your device’s microphone for best results.

Will my electric guitar work with Rocksmith?

As long as your six-string guitar has a standard ¼” output jack – which is the vast majority of electric guitars out there! – you should have no troubles.

How can I connect my electric guitar to my iOS device?

You can use a Rocksmith Real Tone Cable from the console and PC versions of Rocksmith, and connect it via the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter. Any Real Tone Cable from any edition of Rocksmith will work this way.

The iOS edition of Rocksmith also supports a wide variety of third-party audio interfaces that support Apple’s CoreAudio. These interfaces may connect in different ways, including the Lightning port, 30-pin connector, or headphone jack – it will depend on the iOS device you’re using. If you already use an audio interface with other software like GarageBand and it supports 48KHz audio (most do), you should be able to use that with the Rocksmith app, too. Make sure your firmware on those devices is up to date – check the manufacturer’s website.

Does Rocksmith work with my electric bass?
    Yes – all songs include basslines, arranged for standard four-string bass guitars. Connect your bass via a standard ¼” output jack, using the same methods mentioned above for six-string guitars, and you’re all set.

Does Rocksmith support seven-string guitars and five-string basses?

If you have a seven-string guitar or five-string bass, you can play the six-string guitar and four-string bass arrangements in Rocksmith just fine; you won’t need to use the additional strings.

Are there any guitars that will not work?

Rocksmith is designed to work with six-string guitars and four-string basses. We don’t recommend using specialty instruments like 12-string guitars or baritone guitars, and the app is not compatible with MIDI instruments.

Which input method is best?

For acoustic guitars, the device’s microphone works quite well when you use it in a quiet room. For electric instruments, a direct connection with a cable will send the cleanest signal to your iOS device, so we recommend audio interfaces that connect via your device’s data port. Headphone-jack adapters work too, but they can sometimes add unwanted noise to the signal, so we suggest using another connection method if at all possible.

Can I use the Real Tone Cable I already own and use with my PC/console version?

Yes. Connect it to your iOS device using the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, and the iOS edition of Rocksmith will recognize your existing Real Tone Cable for input just fine.

Can I use my electric guitar and amplifier with the iOS device’s built-in microphone to play Rocksmith?

We didn’t design it with that in mind, but it’d probably work. It won’t hurt to try, but for the best results, we’d still recommend something from the list above.

How many songs are included with the Rocksmith app?

The app includes original arrangements and performances of four well-known songs: “Amazing Grace,” “When the Saints Go Marching In,” “Frère Jacques,” and “Ode to Joy.” These song arrangements have been specially crafted by the Rocksmith music team to be very approachable for beginners while also offering challenges for more experienced players. Additional songs are available as in-app purchases.

How do I download additional songs?

Select the Shop icon on Rocksmith’s main menu to browse the song library; you can buy individual songs or specially priced Song Packs and Bundles. Additional songs, Song Packs, and Bundles will be added to our library on a regular basis.

What is the difference between a Song Pack and a Bundle?

Both will offer you a discount on multiple songs, but there is a subtle difference. Song Pack is a term used in the console and PC editions of Rocksmith, so for consistency, we’ve made sure a Song Pack features the same songs across all platforms. For instance, The Offspring Song Pack contains “Come Out And Play (Keep ‘Em Separated),” “Gone Away,” and “Self Esteem” on iOS, just like it does on the Microsoft, Sony, and Steam editions. Some artists might have multiple Song Packs, so you could see “Song Pack I” and “Song Pack II,” each containing different songs, or even “Song Pack (I-II)” which contains both for an even greater discount.

Bundles are unique to iOS; they also contain multiple songs for a discounted price, but the songs they offer don’t align with the Song Pack collections you’ll find on all other platforms.

You’ll always be able to see a track list of what’s included in any Song Pack or Bundle before you buy it.

If I buy a few singles from an artist that has a Song Pack or Bundle, can I upgrade to the full Song Pack or Bundle for a discounted rate?

Sorry, no – each item in the store is a separate purchase, so there’s no way to credit earlier purchases.

If I buy songs on iOS, do I also get to use them on other platforms?

No, sorry – iOS Song Packs, Bundles and singles only work with the iOS edition of Rocksmith.

Will the songs that come with the iOS edition appear in other editions of Rocksmith?

The Rocksmith-exclusive version of Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy” is also available in the Bachsmith II song pack for PC and consoles. We do not have plans to release the other three songs in other editions at this time.

Can I use songs from my iTunes library?

Sorry, no – standard songs in your iTunes library do not contain any of the instructional notetracks that the Rocksmith team creates to teach you how to play the song. You’ll need to use Rocksmith song files that have been designed to work with the iOS edition of Rocksmith.

If I bought additional songs for one of the console or PC versions of Rocksmith, can I use those with the iOS app?

Sorry, no. Apple’s App Store is independent of Microsoft, Sony, and Valve’s businesses, so they do not honor purchases you’ve made from other digital stores. Here’s an analogy: McDonald's and Burger King might both serve Coca-Cola, but you can't go to Burger King and get a refill for your McDonald's cup. It’s a bit like that.

Will the full song library from the console and PC editions of Rocksmith be released for mobile?

We’ll bring out as much as we can, but since the mobile edition requires a different licensing agreement some tracks may not be available. We are constantly adding new songs to the mobile library; be sure to check back again and see what’s new. You can also suggest songs to be added in the future at our website, Rocksmith.com.

What do all these knobs and switches on my electric guitar do?

They generally control the volume and tone of your sound. For the best Rocksmith experience, you should always have the knobs turned all the way up (clockwise) so the software can hear you loud and clear.

What is a Rocksmith ID?
    Your Rocksmith ID (RSID) is your player profile – your identity within the app. You’ll be asked to create one the first time you use Rocksmith. It will be linked to your Ubisoft account. In addition to tracking your progress, your RSID is used to keep track of which songs you own.

Do I have to create a Rocksmith ID to use the app?

No, but you won’t be able to purchase additional songs without one. If you decide to create a Rocksmith ID after playing for a bit, your progress up to that point will carry forward to your RSID.

If I select the lead guitar path at the start, can I choose rhythm or bass later?

Sure. You can easily change your path as often as you want, and you can hop between arrangements whenever you like, without changing your primary path.

What is this “calibration” step?

Calibration does three things:

1) It determines how loud your guitar input can be turned up, so that we’re getting the best signal possible.
    2) It establishes how loud your guitar can possibly get, so we can better evaluate your signal.
    3) It establishes how loud your input is when you aren’t playing, so we know what’s you and what’s background noise.

If you use multiple guitars with Rocksmith, or if you switch between guitar and bass, you’ll want to recalibrate each time you switch, since every guitar is different. You can always recalibrate from the tuner – just look for the teal Calibrate button in the lower right of the Tuner screen. Info on how to access the tuner is below.

What do these symbols on the note highway mean?

Rocksmith uses a variety of different note heads and tails to represent the vast array of guitar techniques needed to learn to play songs the way they were played by the original artists. Click here to download a PDF guide which explains all of the different symbols and techniques used in Rocksmith. Check out the Lessons section of the app to learn how to play them and see them in action.

What is Riff Repeater and how do I access it?

Riff Repeater is a tool for customizing your practice experience for every song. You can select a phrase in a song, slow it down, repeat it as many times as you like, adjust the difficulty, and have Rocksmith slowly build you up to full speed or higher difficulty. It’s an extremely flexible way to focus on just the parts of song you’d like to practice. To bring up Riff Repeater, tap the screen while playing any song. The song will pause and the Riff Repeater menu will appear.

What do all these Riff Repeater controls do?

At the top of the screen, you’ll see a series of rectangles. Those represent the various segments of the song, in order, from left to right. The taller the rectangle, the more difficult that section of the song will be – it might have more notes the other segments, or more complex combinations of notes by comparison. Your current level of difficulty in each section is shown by how much of the rectangle is filled in. Orange means you’re making progress but there are still notes you have not seen yet; purple means you’ll be playing at max difficulty, with all the notes in that phrase fully represented.

To start, drag the white triangles to highlight some or all segments of the song. When using Riff Repeater, you’ll only practice those specific highlighted sections. (This is also the easiest way to navigate within a song, if you just want to skip ahead to a specific section – just select the phrase you like, tap Resume Song, and you’ll play the song from that point on.)

Difficulty adjusts the complexity of the arrangements – how many notes you’ll be asked to play. 100 is all of the notes in the song. If you turn the Level Up switch on (it will turn green), Riff Repeater will gradually increase the difficulty automatically when you play your selection accurately. You can also use this to set the overall difficulty of the song. Highlight the entire song, drag the difficulty slider to whatever level you’d like, then resume the song.

Speed
    adjusts the speed of the song. 100 means the song is playing at full speed; if you’d like to slow it down a bit, just choose a lower number that feels comfortable. Turn the Accelerate switch on to increase the speed whenever you play your selection accurately.

Difficulty Repeats
    lets you choose how many times you want your selection to play, between 1 and 5 times. For instance, if you’d like to try to play a phrase three times correctly before the difficulty increases, set this slider to 3. Toggle the Auto Continue switch if you want to resume playing the rest song once you’ve completed the selected number of repeats on your selected phrases.

Similarly, Speed Repeats lets you decide how many times you want to repeat a selection at the current speed -- between 1 and 5 times -- before the speed increases.

The Show Mistakes switch will put small exclamation points over the notes that you missed on the previous playthrough.

Tolerance
    determines how strict the Riff Repeater will be when you make a mistake. If you want to get every note right before progressing any further, select None. If you’re okay missing a few notes, select Low, Medium, or High. High Tolerance will let you move on with the highest number of mistakes.

When you have all the settings adjusted the way you want to practice, choose Start Repeater from the lower right.

Restart Song
    will leave Riff Repeater and start the track from the beginning. Resume Song leaves Riff Repeater, but starts at the phrase you’ve selected with the highlight triangles, and will apply your currently chosen Difficulty adjustment. .

Tuner
    will activate the in-game tuner – if you think your guitar’s strings have drifted a bit, it’s always worth checking them with this.

Mixer
    lets you adjust the volume of your guitar and the track behind it. If you’d like to hear more of your guitar and less of the track, this is where to adjust those levels.

Exit Song
    probably doesn’t need any explanation, does it?

Rocksmith keeps telling me I’m hitting the wrong fret, but I’m sure I’m on the right one. What’s up?
    There are a few things that could cause this:
    • Your bass or guitar could be out of tune, which would cause Rocksmith to think you’re playing the wrong note. There are three ways to access the tuner:
    1. The tuner automatically appears before you play a song
    2. You can tap the tuning fork icon on the menu bar
    3. If you pause a song, you can select Tuner from the menu

• You could be pressing down too hard on the string. If you press too hard, it can bend the string slightly, causing it to sound higher than it should. Try pressing a little lighter.

• Your bass or guitar’s intonation could be off. Adjustments can be made to basses and guitars that affect how in-tune they sound at different spots on the neck. Information on setting up a bass or guitar can be found online. If you’re unsure about doing it yourself, your local guitar shop can help you out.

I’m having trouble tuning my instrument. Any advice?
    Sure.

Make sure you’re on the right string. Sounds simple, but sometimes your fingers are simply in the wrong place. It’s okay to look!

Tune up in pitch, rather than down. Strings stay in tune better when you tune from a low pitch up to the note, adding tension to the string, rather than overshooting the note and releasing some of the string tension.

Make sure your volume and tone are all the way up. Rocksmith prefers having a loud, clear, bright tone. If it can’t hear you, it might not realize that you’re in tune after all.

Make sure you’re calibrated. Rocksmith works best when it knows the volume and dynamics of your specific guitar. The more information you can give it, the less likely it will mistake a good tuning for a bad one.

Change your strings. Low-quality or heavily worn strings are more likely to go out of tune. It might be time to put a new set on. It’s not hard, and there’s a lesson in the app to show you how to do it (we also have some advice in our forums), but you can also ask your local guitar shop to do it for a fee.

What’s the difference between mastery and accuracy?
    Accuracy is a gauge of how many notes you played correctly on your most recent playthrough. You’ll see this after each performance. Mastery, shown on the right side of a song’s list information, is an overall percentage that lets you know how far you have to go before you are playing all the notes in the song as they appear on the original recording of the song. So accuracy is specific to your most recent performance, while mastery is an overall progress gauge of how accurately you’ve played up to this point.

Is Rocksmith coming to other mobile platforms?

We are focused on making a high-quality iOS product at this time.

Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    Correct -- that's in the FAQ, but it's the same as all other platforms. To use the infamous fast food analogy: Even though McDonald's and Burger King might both serve Coca-Cola, you can't go to Burger King and get a refill for your McDonald's cup.
    I find this a poor analogy, Microsft, Adobe give me licenses that allow me to use the software on more than one computer, at the moment the "free" ipad Rocksmith will cost me some where around $500 and I don't use cdlc because I belive artists do need to pay - I could use my copy of a cd in more than one machine

Originally Posted by Spinner6969 Go to original post
    I find this a poor analogy, Microsft, Adobe give me licenses that allow me to use the software on more than one computer, at the moment the "free" ipad Rocksmith will cost me some where around $500 and I don't use cdlc because I belive artists do need to pay - I could use my copy of a cd in more than one machine
    And you can use your Rocksmith DLC on more than one computer, I have installed on 3 right now. You just cannot transfer it cross platform.

The Analogy of the coke works well because Steam, Xbox Live, iTunes etc are all stores. Stores cannot just handout free product because you already purchased the same product at a different store. Each on of those stores has to pay for the server space the product takes up, pay for the bandwidth to stream it you on request, pay the credit card processing fees for your purchase, as well as maintain a database on who has purchased what content. iTunes giving it to you for free would be exactly like Burger King letting you refill your McDonalds Coke for free. In both cases the store would be loosing money, and I imagine the artist whom you claim to believe need paid to would be loosing royalties(assuming royalties are part of the licensing agreements anyway)

SquirrellyNinja's Avatar RS Product Manager
    Originally Posted by bfors Go to original post
    The audio seems to be out of sync in the http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/16/ub...ocksmith-ipad/ video.

I could not detect any latency in my play testing. The Peavey interface I'm using is analog and works in Garageband. But it does introduce noticeable hiss into the guitar signal.

I'm assuming there is some latency caused by the app/iPad processing but it is not noticeable.
    I will note that the gameplay shown in the article was captured with an acoustic guitar playing so your not hearing any added guitar tone. If there's any perceivable latency it's a result of the video editing process.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    http://theriffrepeater.com/rocksmith...ada-exclusive/

here's my writeup for iOS Rocksmith

Originally Posted by Out_of_tune Go to original post
    And you can use your Rocksmith DLC on more than one computer, I have installed on 3 right now. You just cannot transfer it cross platform.

The Analogy of the coke works well because Steam, Xbox Live, iTunes etc are all stores. Stores cannot just handout free product because you already purchased the same product at a different store. Each on of those stores has to pay for the server space the product takes up, py)
    I understand you said, you use it across 3 computers, are they PC? I have a complete Apple environment and most of my apps work across multiple units, phone pad and computer. If i have been using one on my phone and come into the house I can seemlessly switch from cphone to computer, including my word apps etc. I understand about royalties but I have already paid for the saongs and for me the use of the software should work seemlessly as does iTunes. '

I understand it is there policy so I can live with that. I purchased and HD 2 fro iRig today and expect it will work much better with the game (not why I purchased it). From the use point of view I had only minor problems - I just cannot justify buying themusic I like to play twice. I am sure this will be a great platform for some.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    Wow, do you actually think iTunes and Steam are the same thing? Please stop clogging up this thread with your inane justification of why your content should be cross platform lol

Originally Posted by toymachinesh Go to original post
    Wow, do you actually think iTunes and Steam are the same thing? Please stop clogging up this thread with your inane justification of why your content should be cross platform lol
    I have a bus ticket for Mondays only. Why can't I use it on a Sunday?

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith ComDev
    Originally Posted by Spinner6969 Go to original post
    I understand you said, you use it across 3 computers, are they PC? I have a complete Apple environment and most of my apps work across multiple units, phone pad and computer. If i have been using one on my phone and come into the house I can seemlessly switch from cphone to computer, including my word apps etc. I understand about royalties but I have already paid for the saongs and for me the use of the software should work seemlessly as does iTunes.

The iOS edition is part of a different ecosystem -- and as an iOS user, you are intimately familiar with it already. But that app you have on your phone, pad and computer does not work on your game console, or your friend's phone with a different OS. This seems to be the core logical fallacy, a false equivalence. A just doesn't equal B here; software written for one device will not run on another, nor do I think that should be expected. DLC has never been platform agnostic -- a song bought for Steam does not grant you the license to play it on Xbox One, just as PS4 files don't play on Mac -- so suddenly expecting some interoperability there strikes me as unreasonable.

I just cannot justify buying themusic I like to play twice. I am sure this will be a great platform for some.
    I think part of the issue here is that some Rocksmith fans believe all Rocksmith releases are aimed at them, but if that were true...why would we put it out on six different platforms, and then add a seventh? We don't expect you to buy the same music seven times. The idea here is that we can expand and reach new people while still supporting the folks who have already learned what a valuable program it can be. If you are happy using PC or PS4 or Xbox 360, keep on doing so -- we are not suspending support for any existing platform. If you're interested in iOS, check it out too. But where does the expectation of "I have to buy my DLC all over again" come from? I don't see it.

Furthermore, the iOS edition is free to play; you can check out the app (and the new songs) without spending a dime. We'd like it if you tried it out when you have the opportunity to do so, tell us what you think of it (hence this thread being specifically created and, in its first post, overtly requesting feedback from people who have tried it -- since there is an entirely different thread for general questions about the app). If, after trying it, you find the iOS edition works better for you than the version you're using now -- more convenient, more portable, easier to use with headphones, whatever -- then sure, you face a personal choice, like any product you might try out. But you aren't obligated to drop what works for you just because we are creating an additional option for everyone. There's someone out there who wants to learn to play guitar who doesn't use game consoles and isn't a PC kind of person. Hopefully, there will be a lot of someones like that! For those folks, we're hoping the iOS edition introduces them to the Rocksmith method that has worked so well for so many others. You're living proof of what they can learn, on their platform, their way. After all, that's exactly what you did.

So, given the total lack of obligation and the fact that we're talking about a free app, the slightly grumbly expectation that a proprietary DLC file you bought from company A should work on company B's completely different proprietary device doesn't make much sense to me. It's questionable logic about an unrealistic expectation with no precedent. That's why you're getting resistance to your posts.

Please, let's return this thread to its intended purpose -- the devs are standing by and eager to hear experiential feedback, both positive and negative, so they can improve the app as we work toward a worldwide launch. Mods, feel free to move the derail over to the other thread.

I made positive comments regarding the software and took the time to resolve my sound problems. I will not be replying to this thread any longer as I do not intend to use the program. I truly understand royalties [removed].

Cheers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►