Thread: Rocksmith on iOS: Official Feedback Thread | Forums

Hi,

thanks for creating an iPad app. I am looking forward to the global release.

I was able to test the software and it worked nicely with the built in microphone and my Lakewood acoustic guitar.

I also tried the software by connecting two different guitars via the Sonic Port VX from Line6 to the lightning port but I failed to pass the calibration step since the volume was too low. Is this the Sonic Port VX simply not supported?

One last thing is that there is a minor translation glitch in the riff-repeater settings screen of the German version. The button at the bottom right which starts the riff-repeater is named "Neustart" which means "restart". It took me some time to find out that "Neustart" meant "Start Riff-Repeater".

Thanks again for building the app! I am definitely going to enjoy it.

Cheers,
    Hauke

Just wanted to give a bit of an update to my progress with Rocksmith for iOS so far (about 2 or 3 weeks in):

1) The free songs (Ode To Joy, Frere Jacques, The Saints Go Marching In, Amazing Grace) were excellent choices! I know that they might not seem "rock" on the surface, but once you start to play them, you realize the notetrackers hit the jackpot with what I presume are "public domain" (i.e free to license) songs. I saw a post on FB regarding the free songs, and as is typical in this day and age, someone was butthurt about the lack of "free" songs (they wanted more! It's a free app, and they wanted more free songs!! I weep for our future.....). These songs are instantly familiar, yet challenging. Some of the arrangements are simple (I maxed out the difficulty to 100% and am able to get 99 or 100% and I'm an advanced beginner, at best), but some of the alternate arrangements are tricky (I'm at 75% to 90% on those). "Frere Jacques" starts off as a bit of a sleeper (almost songs like one of those rock songs made into a lullaby for babies) but then you get a bit of a metal rhythm going and you can head bang to it (a bit).

2) Some of the songs/packs are definitely not worth the money, but that is kind of a given, depending on your taste in music. David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World" (made popular by Nirvana in the 90's) is pretty much the easiest song to play ever, right next to The Black Key's "Next Girl". I guess if you want to stroke your ego and be able to say to got 99.9% on a song after 3 or 4 tries (or your first try, maybe), go ahead and buy them, but....

3) The song/pack prices are a little high, IMO. They are higher than what I'm paying on Steam (I think it's $3.29 CDN per song normally on Steam, and $3.99 CDN on iOS) and there are no lyrics provided. Not sure if that is only for the soft release, but it seems like a bit of a rip-off. Granted, the app is free (for now), so if you factor that into the price-per-song, I guess it evens out in the short term.

4) The lack of games (skill development) is a bit of a disappointment, as I feel that it would really be a good selling point (along with the freebie songs that are provided, it would be a pretty easy sell to school music departments to invest in the app/songs for school music programs, since it seems that a lot of schools have iPads for educational purposes, as well as a lot of students having access to iPads from home). If you were to throw in Session Mode, the potential for students is incredible.

If the app itself is to remain free (not sure what the road map is for this app, so it's just conjecture on my part....), and add-on's (in the form of DLC) were to include Session Mode and the arcade games (for skill development) were to be added on for a reasonable price (let's say $15-$20 CDN, or $12-$15 US) per, that would be a pretty decent deal. I'm not going to get into the "I already paid for RS2014 (and DLC) on PC/PSx/XBox/etc!!! Why do I have to pay again?!?" argument, because I understand it's a licensing issue, and people need to get paid. Anybody who thinks that there is such thing as a free lunch needs to wake up and move out of their parents basement and into the real world. Besides, if you don't have an iPad, and don't NEED RS2014 for iOS, don't get it: no one is forcing you. The market will decide if it survives, and expecting something for nothing isn't reality.

Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience with RS2014 for iOS so far, and hope to watch it evolve.

Allan

What's going on? Everything seems to be working fine ... get to calibration and all of a sudden my guitar goes silent and I cannot play my songs ? What's going on ?

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith ComDev
    Originally Posted by flipper153 Go to original post
    What's going on? Everything seems to be working fine ... get to calibration and all of a sudden my guitar goes silent and I cannot play my songs ? What's going on ?
    We're going to need more info to try to help.

Are you playing electric or acoustic?
    What kind of guitar is it?
    Does your guitar use active electronics (onboard 9-volt battery)?
    What interface are you using to connect, or are you using the internal microphone?
    What iPad hardware are you using?
    What version of iOS are you using?

Let's start there and see what we can figure out together.

After the latest update (.92?!?) my Rocksmith app lost all my saved file data: had to go through set-up again and all my saved games (i.e progress on each song) was reset to 0. Not a big deal, except for the progress on a few of the trickier songs (Megadeath "Symphony of Destruction"), but I decided to ramp it up to 100% for difficulty and slow down sections that need work.

The volume seems louder now and acoustic tones seem better, but that could just be me.

UbiVertigo's Avatar Community Manager
    Originally Posted by ALuomala68 Go to original post
    After the latest update (.92?!?) my Rocksmith app lost all my saved file data: had to go through set-up again and all my saved games (i.e progress on each song) was reset to 0. Not a big deal, except for the progress on a few of the trickier songs (Megadeath "Symphony of Destruction"), but I decided to ramp it up to 100% for difficulty and slow down sections that need work.

The volume seems louder now and acoustic tones seem better, but that could just be me.
    Hi ALuomaLa68, thanks very much for bringing up the save issue, this information is really helpful to us. We pushed the issue to the team yesterday, and they are actively investigating.

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith ComDev
    Originally Posted by ALuomala68 Go to original post
    Thank you for this feedback. You were totally right and the team was able to implement a hotfix for this -- it's live now. Save games should no longer be reset, and we really appreciate the heads-up about this -- it led directly to the solution!

Dan

Just checking in after the latest update (.93).

These are general observations, not really serious issues:

1) The lack of lyrics is a little disconcerting. Will there be lyrics in the finished product? I mentioned this in a previous post but it wasn't addressed.

2) I'm not sure if I'm using the right term, but the chord name isn't given for when there is an arpeggio, only the fingering. I was struggling to do some of the arpeggios, and if I knew what the chord was (when it was traveling down the note highway, I could focus on forming the chord shape and not looking at the recommended fingering (for the arpeggio).

3) Has there been any thought to a "network/2-player mode"? I have never played 2-player on PS3/4 or PC, but I was thinking it would be nice to at least being able to sync the start of the song with another person who is near you (i.e one person is playing lead, and the other is playing rhythm or bass, etc). Each person would be on their own device, and perhaps plugged into an amp, monitor, etc. It would be hard, and sound horrible, if each person started their own session (without the syncing) and the 2 versions were even slightly off.

Anyway, those are a few things that came to mind when I was playing tonight. The HUGE Rush pack that was released today was like Christmas in July for me!!!! I have spent a TON of money on the Rush releases (plus on other apps, devices, etc), so I don't mind spending it yet again (the boys [in Rush] need bigger mansions, you know!!!)

Thanks again for a great product, and a platform to get feedback.

Allan

Bluetooth headphones supported?

Have just tried RS iOS for the past hour and the only thing I couldn't get to work were my Bose Bluetooth earbuds. Ideas?

Oh, generally very happy with quality of app on my iPad Pro. Compared to PC version, am equally impressed with controls and sound quality. Have electric guitar connected using RS cable via USB to Lighting adapter. No noticeable latency. Would just really like my earbuds to work so as not to disturb entire house with my scratching

I couldn't get my Bluetooth speakers to work with it either. I am using a SonicPort interface, and I thought that might have something to do with it (the SonicPort has a headphone jack, and I was thinking that maybe that took priority over Bluetooth or something along that lines). It may be that there is too much lag with Bluetooth so the Rocksmith iOS app just doesn't allow for it. Hopefully they give us an answer on what types of devices are supported.