Thread: Underrated Guitarists | Forums

Here is one player that I recently discovered and was absolutely blown away by: Mark Reale of Riot

I would be willing to bet that quite a few people will have said "Who?", Well put it this way, this is a guy who came up with some truly astonishing riffs in his lifetime, but hardly received any recognition outside of a small inner circle, but those who have heard any of the songs he did would know that he was a special talent. Not only was his lead work remarkable yet highly musical, but he was also great at coming up with multiple top tier riffs

To me, Mark Reale is quite possibly the most underrated player ever, purely for the fact that I've never seen him mentioned in any lists of underrated players, despite a truly excellent and remarkably consistent output of work.

Jeff Beck:

Guthrie Govan:

R.J. Ronquillo:

Originally Posted by ThePresident777 Go to original post
    Jeff Beck:

Jeff Beck is under rated? I mean, he's great, but doesn't every guitar player in the world acknowledge that he's great?
     2 people found this helpful

Here's one that needs to be mentioned, Dave Meniketti of Y&T, holy moly, what a monster on guitar!

1 people found this helpful

infocat1's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Adem_H Go to original post
    Here's one that needs to be mentioned, Dave Meniketti of Y&T, holy moly, what a monster on guitar!

Yes!

Originally Posted by flynlion Go to original post
    Jeff Beck is under rated? I mean, he's great, but doesn't every guitar player in the world acknowledge that he's great?
    Seems to me that he's lost to the younger generation at this point.

one of underrated guitarists

I've recently searched through some videos in youtube and find a perfect guitarist in a video. though don't know the name!

Originally Posted by infocat1 Go to original post
    Yes!
    I know right? I've been requesting the hell out of Y&T ever since I discovered them, sadly I don't think they'll ever be included in Rocksmith since not a lot of people know them, which is the case for quite a few brilliant players

infocat1's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Adem_H Go to original post
    I know right? I've been requesting the hell out of Y&T ever since I discovered them, sadly I don't think they'll ever be included in Rocksmith since not a lot of people know them, which is the case for quite a few brilliant players
    I've been a fan since 1981. Mean Streak (1983) was the first album I bought (along with Never Surrender by Triumph).
    I don't think its impossible that they would get some songs in RS. Hope lives eternal!

It just struck me that there are literally dozens of artists and guitar players that are amazing and yet don't receive their due credit, so what I'm going to do from this point forth is make it a Monday tradition to include some of these players and to say a bit about them and also hope that some of them get into Rocksmith at some point in the future

Today's guitarist of focus is Ross Friedman, more commonly known as Ross the Boss. Aside from having such a cool nickname, the dude plays one mean guitar. He's had a diverse career across quite a few genres, however he's most well known for two bands in particular.

The first is the proto-punk band "The Dictators", who were a band that were, at least to my knowledge, the first band to try and fuse punk and metal together, Motorhead are often credited with being the successful experiment, however they were not the first to do it. Arguably the Dictators, in terms of sound were more on the punk side of things, but they did break the rule of punk music being sloppy and unschooled, as Ross and his bandmates were anything but unskilled

The second band is the mighty "Manowar", one of the first power metal bands. Sure the lyrics might be pretty silly and the image is ridiculous, but you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ross' playing on the early Manowar albums before his departure never cease to amaze, check it out