What is an ideal setup to run IL2 on full (or near full) graphics with no stuttering when you go over cities?

I have old spec:

1.6ghz (AMD 1900+)
    64meg Nvidia MX440
    1024mb ddr ram

I know I will need to upgrade mobo and the processor and graphics, fan etc but what setup to people recommend? Prices also and from where?

Want to get the performance from this game that it deserves

Cheers.

Rob

What is an ideal setup to run IL2 on full (or near full) graphics with no stuttering when you go over cities?

I have old spec:

1.6ghz (AMD 1900+)
    64meg Nvidia MX440
    1024mb ddr ram

I know I will need to upgrade mobo and the processor and graphics, fan etc but what setup to people recommend? Prices also and from where?

Want to get the performance from this game that it deserves

Cheers.

Rob

I run IL2 FB with a fair amount of detail.

I only have an AMD 1.8
    512 pc3200 ram
    Geforce 4200ti 128 8x

So if I was you for now Id just buy a Radeon 9600xt you can get them for around â£110. There as good as a Geforce 5700 ultra which is about â£140.

Wotan111

Start from video card mate... just that can make you happy.
    Nvidia FX5700 Utra and up.
    ATI 9700 Pro and up.
    Those two will be in $200 range

You`ll be surprized As for major upgrade, wait another year...for BOB perhaps. I have a feeling that top of the line rig today will hardly meet minimum system requirements for BOB

Think Future! You want PC that will last 2 years without looking back.

V!
    Regards,

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

do you intend to re-use any of your previous gear, such as ram or motherboard?

If so what is your ddr ram's spec? pc2100? 2700? 3200?

what is your present sound device?

The Mx440 is a horrible gaming card (no offense) so there is much room for improvement.

I recommend a 9800pro, $208.00 w/free shipping at newegg,

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...102-268&DEPA=0

What country are you in? If the answer is USA, Newegg.com is unbeatable with respect to prices, service, fast shipping, product availability, order tracking, etc.

Newegg has a cult following. Awesome company.

Save a few bucks for TrackIR2.

Jumoschwanz's Avatar Banned
    JUst get a good video card. You want a 9700 or 9800 Pro if you can find one. New Egg had a card with 9700pro chipset for $199 a few days ago.

YOur system will run AEP great then.

Whatever you do do not build a 64bit computer now. They are shaking out the bugs in this stuff. Everyone like you who can run FB with just adding a card or something should do just that. IN a year and a half we will have DDR2 or 3 for ram, pci express for all video cards, 64bit processors with their pin counts stabilized, and new 64bit operating systems and flight sims.
    IF you put a 64bit machine together now it will not be much more powerful than a top of the line 32bit machine for a lot more money. And it will be a real white elephant in a year. Like the first socket 423 P4 that had rambus. A real piece of crap that you can't even upgrade because they only sold it for a few months.

Who knows what INtel will do in a desktop 64 bit processor, and AMD is changing pinouts every month.

If you have to have a new rig you can put together an AMD xp3200/nforce2 now for a third or a quarter what you could do it for when the xp3200 first came out. The 3.0 and 3.2ghz P4s will benchmark a little better but not enough to worry about it.
    I am not going to build another system hopfully until the new 64bit technology is all stabilized, probably toward the very end of 2005 or early 2006.

Jumoschwanz

Cheers folks.

Was ideally gonna upgrade mobo cos it is only 4x agp compatible I think and if I got an 8x graphics card then it wouldn't really benefit as much as it could. The mem I have is DDR 2700mhz i think and has sped it up a little in terms of being able to handle more planes etc. The game runs okay as it is but full graphics screen shots look awesome and this has what has persuaded me.

I have been meaning to upgrade for a while and don't think I will bother with 64bit processors etc till they are mainstream and, as you say, they have ironed out problems etc.

The thing is, whenever I upgrade and whatevery I upgrade to, whether it be top of the range or not, it will always be near obselite in a months time . This means that not too bothered when I upgrade but have had this system for over 18 months now and has lasted pretty well. Can still run most games coming out on high graphics etc.

I live in the sunny UK so that site would prob be no good, but thanks very much anyway. Will have a look around but usually buy my stuff off of novatech. They are quite good. Will look into the cards that you have recommended though, so thanks.

Rob

Fehler's Avatar Senior Member
    The ASUS A7V8X-X is a great motherboard for around $50.00. It has pretty good onboard sound, 6 USB ports, 8X AGP, will run your current CPU and Ram and will be fairly upgradable for the near future should you decide to add a faster CPU. You can even do a little overclocking very easily with this board. Stay away from ECS boards.. you have been warned! LOL

Asus boards are rock solid. I have built 6 machines with the A7V8X-X board now and have had no complaints from the people I built rigs for.

That and a good video card and you will be running FB very well.

Just my suggestion.

Here is a list of manufacturers that I use exclusively because of great products, longevity and lack of problems.

ASUS - Motherboards
    WesternDigital - Hard drives (Yes some are faster, but I havent burnt a WD out yet!)
    ATI - Fast
    NVidia - Better color than ATI IMHO
    Panasonic (CD, DVD, and Floppy drives)
    ThermalTake (Fans) <Best in the market, but a little loud.

www.pricewatch.com is a great place to look for good pricing.

www.newegg.com is Super duper in my book!

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/9JG54.html

I love my Athlon 64 and I personaly have experienced no bug's. Performance is exceptional.

Price per performance wise though, the athlon XP is hard to beat right now.

a nice athlon xp, an Nvidia nforce 2 motherboard with soundstorm, and a 9800pro would be the ticket.

leet_haxxor's Avatar Banned
    LOL

optimal = leik 13.37 ghz amd pwn

leik 1337 mb RAM
    y radeon 1337 with 1337 mb PWN DDR RAM
    y leik 13 fans ( so yuo doent overheat)
    y leik 13 gb hd (enuf foer winblowz aend il2)
    y yuoast haev everyting 1337 aend yuoor comp will be 1337 !!!L!OL!OL!OL!OLOL 1!!1111 eleven