...did you have to tweak your monitor a lot to get it to work right? How do you feel about some people making comments like these - would you agree or disagree? http://www.shopping.com/xPR-NEC_Mult...FP2141SB_22_in Thanks for any insight...!

...did you have to tweak your monitor a lot to get it to work right? How do you feel about some people making comments like these - would you agree or disagree? http://www.shopping.com/xPR-NEC_Mult...FP2141SB_22_in Thanks for any insight...!

I think this monitor is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is sharp, clear, bright, just about perfect. As with any monitor you have to adjust the screen geometry initially to each resolution and color depth you use. After that, just enjoy. Like any Trinitron type tube there are 2 faint horizontal screen lines caused by internal bracing wires inside the CRT. I never notice them at all even when using a white page document. I gusee I just tune them out. If I look for them they are visible but certainly not noticeable.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
    Intel D875PBZ
    ATI Radeon X800XT PT
    1.0GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
    W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
    Plextor PX-708A
    Lite-On 52x
    Creative Audigy2 ZS
    NEC FP2141SB

Since Sony stopped making the F520, the FP2141SB is arguably the best 21"/22" Crt monitor available anywhere at any price.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
    Intel D875PBZ
    ATI Radeon X800XT PT
    1.0GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
    W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
    Plextor PX-708A
    Lite-On 52x
    Creative Audigy2 ZS
    NEC FP2141SB

Well, I broke down and ordered the NEC 2141, and have had nothing but disappointment and problems, unfortunately. When bringing up vibrant white backgrounds, the white screen quickly washes out into a dull gray. I have returned the monitor, and received a replacement, which does exactly the same thing. NEC reports it may be a bad production line of monitors. Other than that, I am at a total loss as to why this is occuring. I hooked up my "old" Sony 19" Trinitron, and it looks and works great, with no loss in visual quality. I am going to try the monitor on another computer this weekend to see if it makes a difference. Well, anyone that might have any suggestions, I'm wide open. Otherwise, I might ship it back one final time and go for the ViewSonic P225FB instead. God, what a big let down...

I treated myself to the flatscreen Viewsonic 20.1" TFT and - WOW - it is great. FB has never looked so good. It's expensive but there is no slow down and it's highly recommended.

Jay

Forgotten Battles changed my life...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I have had nothing but perfect performance from mine. Recently, Maximum PC Magazine voted the NEC FE2111SB their "Best of the Best" hardware. That is the same monitor as the FB 2141SB only less expensive with slightly lower supported resolution and refresh rates. It uses the exact same picture tube. You might try that one.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
    Intel D875PBZ
    ATI Radeon X800XT PE
    1.0GB OCZ Platinum PC3200
    W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
    Plextor PX-708A
    Lite-On 52x
    Creative Audigy2 ZS
    NEC FP2141SB

I've got the 2111SB and it rocks - also looks quite cool.

It's not hype. The three different modes of brilliant illumination had a profound impact on how Il2 looks. The color is super rich with the NEC. I've had plenty of monitors (Dell, Gateway, and Viewsonic) and this by far blows them all way.

Maximum PC Magazine in their latest issue just reviewed the Viewsonic P225FP and did not have kind things to say about it compared to the NEC.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
    Intel D875PBZ
    ATI Radeon X800XT PE
    1.0GB OCZ Platinum PC3200
    W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
    Plextor PX-708A
    Lite-On 52x
    Creative Audigy2 ZS
    NEC FP2141SB