A nice little coincidence

I just got back from a long trip around the Middle East - Lebanon, Cyprus and Turkey mainly, coincidentally crossing off more Assassin's Creed locations off the list (also managed to go to Syria before the war - including Masyaf and Damascus - but that's by the by).

Anyway, I was in Diyarbekir in southern Turkey and just so happened to come across this, hidden in an old khan. I saw others like this in the city, as well as in other cities like Mardin and Gaziantep. Which got me thinking of the Levantine Assassin's insignia. Weirdly I don't recall ever seeing this in Syria, but it's an interesting feature nonetheless. I always wondered what it meant and where it came from. Any ideas welcome!

Iirc, it's based on kufic calligraphy (when you draw a line through the maze you're forming the character). It's a flipped mirror image two of arabic characters, but how I interpret it is that it represents the idea of the Creed, our free will, our mind.

Huh, that's genuinely interesting! Thanks.

Ubi-Banshee's Avatar Community Manager
    wOW I love your interpretation!

RinoTheBouncer's Avatar Senior Member
    Wonderful find!

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Originally Posted by Ureh Go to original post
    how I interpret it is that it represents the idea of the Creed, our free will, our mind.
    Ah, I like that!
    But it does come with some dark implications. We do have free will... to follow a predetermined path through the characters, guided along a path rather than truly trailblazing.