TheBlazeJp's Avatar Senior Member

The ghost System in TBD - Only Shows each players "Last Run"

As we all know with blood dragon there is no replays for each mission.
    So you can't watch the #1 time on each track.

It was mentioned to me that it was attempted to be implemented but it couldn't be done.

With this the only real way to see how you measure up while competing and going for records is to take advantage of the ghosts.

However last night Vantier figured out that your PB ghost is overwritten when you complete the track in a slower time.
    We tested this on stream and indeed this is true.
    When you race against ghosts you are racing against users last run, not necessarily the personal best of that user or that users world or platform record.

Why this is bad?

Without replays in the game this makes it extremely difficult to gauge where you may or not be loosing time when attempting to compete against another player.
    Personally I have always used the ghost system to keep up with a ghost and if suddenly fall behind, even by a little you know that you have done something wrong, approached an obstacle wrong or not seen a time saver and that you can act on this in your following run.

Users with the way it is can hide their ghosts if they choose by simply playing the track again. One can simply wait at the start line for 10 seconds before beginning, finish out the track and that is the ghost you will be racing against.

Is this intended to be the way the ghosts work in blood dragon or is this something the developers are not aware of and is therefore a bug?
    If it is intentional, why?
    Without replays, to have the ghost system like this imo takes a serious dent out of the competitive edge in the game.

Ghosts in any trials game are a fundamental part of the user experience.

Blaze

Hi, Blaze.

Thanks for bringing this up.

This is not intentional, the ghost was supposed to show personal best (and I remember seeing it working as intended without being overwritten with worse times, so not sure why this happened). That said, I'm not sure if we're gonna have a patch for TBD in particular, so this might remain unfixed, but we will keep this in mind for the future.

But, can you please tell us to help us find why this is happening, if the run with lower times has a higher overall score (because this is possible in certain situations depending on faults, though not in 0-faulted situations of course) or if you complete a level without beating your high score it still overwrites the ghost?

TheBlazeJp's Avatar Senior Member
    Thanks for the reply Farlander,
    Can I ask why this wont be addressed? or even looked at for a potential patch
    I think it has a big impact on user experience
    The game is still very new

Blaze

Edit:

To answer the question,
    it happens regardless of score.
    All that has to be done is a player to complete a mission again and it will overwrite their best ghost.

For someone like me who does full game speedruns, I am always going through the game with worse individual level times.
    And even for those who don't. When they try to beat their best time but fail, their best ghost will be overwritten.

Well, it depends if the issue has to be fixed client-side or server-side. If it's server-side, then I think it can be addressed (but I need to ask and find out precisely). But if it's client-side, then I don't know, since we didn't plan to have any post-launch client patches for TBD.

Since release the client-side development team moved to other projects, and while uploading a client patch might be simple enough on PC, it's a whole process to go through on consoles. So for TBD a client patch needs to have a really high impact, and I'm not sure if for TBD in particular this issue alone is enough to be high impact. In short, it's a matter of resources.

But, at any rate, I'll get back to you later with more information regarding this particular issue.

I can tell you that this happens on Xbox as well as PC so if this helps matters anymore then good.