View Poll Results: This post goes out to all who use both. I have the opportunity to only buy one or the other. My gam

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • CH Pedals

7 22.58%
  • Track IR

24 77.42%

Get the pedals for now, and just use "Freelook", which, although a pain to set up, works just as good once you get it right !!

Thanks Skullin. I use mouse view on my X-45 right now (is that the same as free look?).

I've gotten pretty good at keeping track of enemies with the hat or mouse view. That's why I am leaning a bit toward the pedals. I've also read that Track IR is not recommended for playing through a USB Hub, which I would have to do.

Every now and then I get a hankering to buy a new gadget, and well, flight sims have kept me busy the past few months.

Guys, trust me. Not Freelook, not X45 mouse view can not substitute Track IR.

Freelook is like trackIR, but works from your webcam... any cheapone will do. If you put some effort into setting it up, it really is just as good. I took the power LED from my case, extended the wires about 4 feet, put the LED into a small plastic tube (the end of a cigar tube), and have it protuding through the bill of a cap. If you just use a piece of white paper like it suggests, then yes, it sux... but with the LED, you can turn the "threshhold" all the way up, which just blackens out everything except the LED.

I'm telling you, it works absolutely flaweless for me now !!!! The settings are another pain, but well worth the effort once they are perfect. Occasionally on a really sunny day i have to shut all the curtains etc... but thats the only problem i ever have !!

Freelook is utter ****! Get TIR. Stuff the pedals, or get them later.

BaldieJr's Avatar Senior Member
    Treat yourself to TiR.

You could always build pedals for cheap. You can continue rudder'ing as you have been, but TiR just makes the sim-pilots life so much easier.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    Specs:
    More expensive than the dining set.
    Less expensive than the couch.
    Smaller than the dishwasher.
    Just as noisy as the refridgerator.
    Faster than the cars' computer.
    Less practical than the car.
    Face it, people who put thier computer specs in thier signature are pretty ****ing wierd.

</pre>

Thanks for all of the opinions! Baldie seemed to answer what I was asking without me asking: which makes my sim experience easier or more efficient.

Thanks to all, pro pedal or pro tir!

BTW: anybody use TIR through a USB hub? I've heard that I should avoid that but may have to anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Freelook is utter ****! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you sat at my computer and put my hat on, you would obviously be amazed at how good it works. I wonder if you ever used it at all... maybe just don't want to hear that there is something out there for free after you spent your money on the same thing ?

LIke i said, it works flawslessly for me. Therefore, you either have no idea what your talking about, or your calling me a liar. Either way - you seem like a real swell guy.