Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative

Future Assassin's Creed Games Location & Setting Discussion

Since Assassin's Creed Syndicate has been released and the settings are known, please use this thread for further speculation.

You can find the previous threads here:

Thanks!

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Continuing a topic brought up on the previous thread that is still relevant:
    Originally Posted by reptilis91 Go to original post
    Concerning the environment, I don't really know if I would prefer an urban or a wilderness area.
    I hope it will be more diversified than London. Paris was more enjoyable from that perspective. London was kind of dull.
    Personally, I would love to see a sort conglomeration of some of the best things that we've seen from the past in a new setting. Both London and Paris were somewhat dull to me, but they did bring unique things to the table. For a future setting, I'd like to see:

Bustling streets/ rivers like the Thames in Syndicate.

NPCs that are as busy and humanized as those in Unity, but still react realistically and interact with players like in AC1-ACR.

Effective and engaging random encounters, like the ship battles in Black Flag.

A good mix of both urban and wilderness environments like in ACIII (though, hopefully with even better urban environments, if that's the case).

A variety of locations across the globe, like Rogue and Liberation.

Was this a hackneyed way of showing how each game has in its own way contributed to the best assets of the series? Maybe.

But in actuality, most of these did come to me naturally as a sort of "all star" list of things that I'd like to see adapted from previous games.

So, any ideas on a setting that could offer both strong rural and urban environments, large interactive crowds, bustling traffic, interactive events, and some globetrotting features?

WWI Europe still comes to mind for me, but something really bizarre (like the hypothized Wild West/India Frye sequel) would be fantastic too!

Thanks cawatrooper9

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    No poll this time.

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Originally Posted by ze_topazio Go to original post
    No poll this time.
    True- though, honestly, I found the poll kind of limiting. I'd rather see what people can come up with on their own.

Originally Posted by ze_topazio Go to original post
    No poll this time.
    Originally Posted by cawatrooper9 Go to original post
    True- though, honestly, I found the poll kind of limiting. I'd rather see what people can come up with on their own.
    This is the problem. There's so many different locations/settings suggested and discussed that the poll didn't really reflect everything that was being said. I'm more than willing to update the OP and add one but I don't think it would represent everyone. Or I could start adding them to the OP as a list? I'm open to suggestions at this point.

I was half joking, I don't think is essential, I'm not against it either.

Kiroku's Avatar Member
    For me the location is not that important as long as they would start a deeper story telling about the protagonist. Like in AC2. We didn't see much about the twins past. Same goes for Unity (for me the worst title so far). But still Syndicate is a really good game after the escapade in 2014 because of the gameplay. A lot of stuff to do.

In my eyes as a player it is important to feel and perceive that you change the area/world around you the more you play. Syndicate was a good example for that even if it wasnt perfect at all. It gave me the feeling like AC Brotherhood. Back then you had to free rome and it felt awesome to do that.

The two playable character thing was nice. First I was a bit sceptical about it but after some hours playing I noticed that each of them has their own strenghts and personalities which was really awesome to notice while playing the game.

I would love to play a character as a child growing into something really nasty. Your friends and family is getting killed while you hide somewhere and saw everything that happened. the only one left is you and a friend from your childhood. An Assassin adopted you and teaches you the skills and the credo. But you never forgot about the day back then when your whole family got killed by some templars. On the one hand you are an assassin but on the other hand you see how much the templars influence the world you live in. They use people for their own benefits and once they got what they aimed for those people get killed. Your personality gets darker and darker and you start to be full of hatred to lose your mind and start killing everyone of this organization for revenge. You lose yourself. You will relegated from the credo. The only one person that can help you is a friend (i prefer female) from your childhood.

And yeah would love to see an AC in Japan ofc. But the problem is. Templars in Japan? when? I guess back in history there were plenty templars around europe and the united states but asia? I dont know. Maybe some US Templars could start invade Japan like in the movie "Last Samurai". That could be a setup. But its difficult for me.

I hope the next AC wont take place in Spain. We already got enough spanish voices in ACBF.

This is just a thought I would love to see. Its like a mix between AC2 and Unity. More or less.

But independently of that I whish to see more of these things listed below:

• Deeper story telling (Protagonist, people around you like friends, family and even your enemies!) I mean something like "Vas" from Far Cry. Now that was a bad ***. Because this would make me as a player feel more connected to the world. People start building sympathy or antipathy regarding the protagonist, friends, enemies n stuff.

• Side missions that are even more vary than in syndicate ! Even if some of them are just to find some stuff for old grannies.

• More interactions and connection to the world like those 2 examples above. (A Pub where you can drink and play some mini games with friends in the game.

• A sneak system like we saw in Syndicate with some more aspects. Enemies should start fear you and run away if they notice that friends around them vanish because of your hidden blade etc. I mean cmon ! We play an Assassin ! A freakin shadow that kills enemies without being detected.. In Syndicate I tried every mission in sneak mode. Go in kill the target and go out. It felt still bad. On the one hand I was like YEAH no one saw me. On the other hand yeah.. and no one cares about that ! No fear or stuff like that.

• Maybe something like a more detailed crafting system. You can create your own weapons regarding the design and properties of them. Like there are swords and daggers for example. Depending on what crafting material you use and find in the world your weapons are more or less effective in stealth, deadliness etc. Same goes for your clothes. In every single AC game there where awesome costumes and everytime there was something on them I didnt like. More customization. You can decide which form the hood or your boots have etc. Even this you can connect to the crafting system. Depending on the materials your clothes get a different look!

• Like in ACS more ways to get some money ! The Train as your base was nice ! But sadly we couldnt improve it like the mansion in Monteriggioni. And here we go again. More influence in the world ! In ACB we bought some nice buildings to beautify rome. It was an awesome feeling !

• Forgot another point here: The NPC's around you should start react to your actions ! If you start doing weird stuff they wont do they should comment that. For example climbing a building or killing people next to them etc. And in ACS I noticed that if you drive a carriage people dont care about that. They cross the streets no matter what. More realism please.

At the end I want to say (even if Im still playing ACS and didnt finish it yet) that ACS was a really good title after Unity. I love the tall buildings and the atmosphere. In Unity it felt like there were tons of people around you. Yeah it was for the french revo but still it felt weird to me. ACS is so colorfull and so full of live. The dark alleys, the rain and so on. Really good work here ! In my eyes ACS was a step back in the right direction.

Originally Posted by Kiroku Go to original post
    And yeah would love to see an AC in Japan ofc. But the problem is. Templars in Japan? when? I guess back in history there were plenty templars around europe and the united states but asia? I dont know. Maybe some US Templars could start invade Japan like in the movie "Last Samurai". That could be a setup. But its difficult for me.
    According to that cellphone game, AC Memories, there was indeed no Assassins and Templars in Japan until the Portuguese introduced them in 1543.

Considering there was Assassins and Templars in nearby China is a bit weird how the Chinese Assassins and Templars never attempted to established themselves in that country before 1543, but that can be easily retconned if they want to make a game in Japan set before that date, by discovering that the original Japanese Assassins and Templars simply killed each other leaving no trace and memory decades before the arrival of the Europeans, that could actually be a pretty cool story.

JamesFaith007's Avatar Member
    Time to bring back my personal champion AC Bangkok.

Era: 1850 - 1880

In this era was Siam reigned by two reformators - kings Mongkut (known from Anna and the King of Siam) and his son Chulalongkorn. Siam was surrounded by European colonies but thanks clever politics of these kings was never colonized, even when country was opened for Western technologies and culture. Thanks to this even in this late era would AC Bangkok offer natural combination of firearms and swords and other cold weapons.

Bangkok

City offers many tall temple buildings with unique architecture like Wat Arun with more then 80 meters tall central tower or royal Grand Palace. City had relatively small population in this era (about 50 000 people) yet it was quite big because many huge buildings were religious. There was great river port and nearby sea port.

Wat Arun

Grand Palace

Angkor Wat

Rediscovered for Western world in 1860 by French explorer and naturalist Henri Mouhot who started all his expedition in Bangkok. Huge temple city, nearly abandoned in
    19th century, should work as connection with First civilization.

Photograph from 1870

Aerial view

Lack of clichés

Contrary to other demanded Asian setting of China and Japan Siam isn't burdened by "movie clichés" like ninjas and samurai. Both using and lacking of these clichés can be seen negatively by fans which made them double edged sword above devs heads. But Indochinese peninsula was luckily spared of them.

AC Bangkok by my opinion have great potential and offers ideal combination of exotic city with unique and parkour friendly architecture, rich and relatively unknown history and both firearm and cold weapons fights.
     1 people found this helpful

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... Last ►►