dread_stone's Avatar Banned

AC1 is still the best Assassin's Creed game

This is not an opinion; it is an objective fact. AC1 was the only game that was purely an Assassin simulator. I'd like to clarify something to the masses that seems to be a source of confusion: There is a difference between an <Assassin's Creed game> and a <game titled "Assassin's Creed">. The former is one that allows the player to be a purist Assassin and knows what it wants to be; it isn't riddled with immersion-ruining side activities and irrelevancies that aren't even remotely akin to a prototypical assassin's lifestyle. The latter is a game that, truth be told, isn't a very fulfilling or relative Assassin experience, one only sold under the franchise name "Assassin's Creed", but, at a fundamental level, is well-designed, functional and quite enjoyable for what it is (which is NOT an Assassin's Creed game) — like AC4 is enjoyable for being a game about pirates where you are well-nigh purely a pirate.

All of the games that followed AC1 were watered down incrementally until the "Assassin's Creed" part simply became a means of marketing games with nearly no relevance to the Creed. One can easily argue that AC2 or AC4 is the best <game titled "Assassin's Creed">, and I would also agree with the assertion that AC1 was a relatively poor <game titled "Assassin's Creed"> (due to some fundamental flaws); however, AC1 is unequivocally the best in regards the aforementioned former — an <Assassin's Creed game>.

The purpose of this post is not to rant, but to clarify a distinction that is often incorrectly bundled together. Looking at ACS, it doesn't seem like AC1 will be topped anytime soon as the best <Assassin's Creed game>. ACS does (kinda') looks like like a promising <game titled "Assassin's Creed">, though.

Here's to hoping that Ubisoft pays their respects to AC1 in 2017 by releasing a 10th anniversary remastered version of the game, since it's the only one they've done right, thus far, in regards to a good <Assassin's Creed game> (though Unity was at least a relevant <Assassin's Creed game>, despite being a terrible <game titled "Assassin's Creed"> (very broken on a fundamental level)).

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member

VitoAuditore's Avatar Member
    lol OP, what gives you the authority to define what an assassins creed game is? the fact that you dont call it an opinion but a fact shows you arent open to discussion. which-in my mind shows big signs of fanboyism and low iq. oh well.

Hans684's Avatar Senior Member
    Fan definitions of what AC is means nothing because Ubisoft call the shots. Are you by any means Yves? Or anyone else from Ubisoft? No, I guessed so. So get your head out of your own arce, pisspot.

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by dread_stone Go to original post
    This is not an opinion; it is an objective fact.
    lol
    I stopped reading after that sentence, sorry.

.................................................. ...........................

As a game in general the first AC was pretty bad. Repetitive missions, lackluster combat, lack of good stealth. The only good parts of the game were the assassination missions.

Also what "defines" an assassins creed game? Many people would disagree with you. Because its an opinion. Not a "fact".

Originally Posted by VitoAuditore Go to original post
    lol OP, what gives you the authority to define what an assassins creed game is? the fact that you dont call it an opinion but a fact shows you arent open to discussion. which-in my mind shows big signs of fanboyism and low iq. oh well.
    No authority is needed. A game about pirates where you play as a pirate isn't an Assassin's Creed game, regardless of how good it may be (I personally loved Black Flag for what it was; 10/10 pirate game, for sure). A game where you're nothing more than a Native American in Assassin's robes who runs around killing in open conflict with a tomahawk and blitzing platoons on the battlefield and in the American frontier is not an Assassin's Creed game. A game where you're nothing more than a gang leader who starts gang wars in open conflict and happens to have a hood on is not an Assassin's Creed game.

And no, this isn't fanboyism at all. I'm an AC2 fanboy and one of the many fans who believes it's still the best game titled "Assassin's Creed", mostly because it was fundamentally solid and was at least mostly relevant to the Creed, with a breathtaking world and atmosphere that has yet to be surpassed in the series. I said "objective fact" because it isn't at all debatable as to which game was most relevant to the Creed and the most purist Assassin experience.

For example: It's like calling a FIFA game where you shoot aliens and robots on Mars with beam rifles and futuristic gun turrets a football/soccer game just because it's titled "FIFA".

Originally Posted by EmbodyingSeven5 Go to original post
    As a game in general the first AC was pretty bad.
    I personally agree with that. As I said in the OP, "I would also agree with the assertion that AC1 was a relatively poor <game titled 'Assassin's Creed'> (due to some fundamental flaws)."

kosmoscreed's Avatar Member
    I don't think is the best game but is true or at least is true to me, AC1 is the purested form of what I call the essence of AC, how the story was told, the focus on the creed and the assassin's order and the free form assassinations. In my opinion none of the games after AC1 has captured that "feeling" for me, at least not fully. But from a gameplay point of view is clear AC1 was far from perfect, but it was the seed not only of the franchise but something new and fresh back in the day, and for that I can still enjoy it and overlook his flaws.

Originally Posted by kosmoscreed Go to original post
    I don't think is the best game but is true or at least is true to me, AC1 is the purest form of what I call the essence of AC, how the story was told, the focus on the creed and the assassin's order and the free form assassinations. But from a gameplay point of view is clear AC1 was far from perfect.
    This is honestly a more clear and succinct version of my OP.

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by VitoAuditore Go to original post
    the fact that you dont call it an opinion but a fact shows you arent open to discussion.
    Exactly. It renders the thread pointless.
    He/she acknowledges it's a fact so what's to discuss?