Myst III Exile - Windows 10 - Installs But Won't Run

I have the original 4 CD set of Myst III: Exile. I recently bought a new computer and upgraded to Windows 10 Professional. Myst III installs just fine, but when I go to actually run the game, nothing happens. I have tried a full and recommended install, as well as tweaking compatibility settings. I have installed an old version of QuickTime. Nothing has worked. If anyone has any idea as to what the cause is, please let me know. I would really like to get this game running.
     1 people found this helpful

same problem

Originally Posted by jbreeding28 Go to original post
    I have the original 4 CD set of Myst III: Exile. I recently bought a new computer and upgraded to Windows 10 Professional. Myst III installs just fine, but when I go to actually run the game, nothing happens. I have tried a full and recommended install, as well as tweaking compatibility settings. I have installed an old version of QuickTime. Nothing has worked. If anyone has any idea as to what the cause is, please let me know. I would really like to get this game running.
    Worked fine on Win 7.

It says to log in as administrator but I am already shown as administrator but not with full privileges.

Welcome to the Forums - both of you!

In general,
    -- a. Install Exile to your C: drive.
    ----- 1. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install Exile to D:.
    ----- 2. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    -- b. Start Exile from a fresh boot.
    ----- 1. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications. (Open the Control Panel, and select User Accounts. Your User Name should show Administrators under Group.)
    ----- 2. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 3. If you have only a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, for example), do NOT disable it!
    ----- 4. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Exile.
    -- c. Do NOT boot up with a CD or DVD in any drive.
    -- d. If the Exile disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- e. Start the game using the Exile icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the Exile disc.

Questions:

1. From which version of Windows did you upgrade to Win 10?

2. Are you trying to start Exile from a Desktop start icon, or from the disc?

3. If from an icon, right-click on it, and select Properties. What is the Target?

OK, did all that. The stupid Windows 10 spinny thingy appears for a second, then . . . nada.

So answer your question about path:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Myst III Exile\Bin\M3.exe"

Also tried compatibility mode set to XP SP 2 as well, nada.

I'd go to Linux but we wouldn't get stuff like this. :-P
    Okay. Did all that. Still doesn't work. Stupid Windows 10 spinny thingy appears for a second and then . . . . nothing.

Oh, never mind. I reverted from windows 10 back to 7, and this program still won't run. It's not worth the effort, I'll sell it on Craigslist or something, someone else's problem now. Thanks for not playing.

Before you give up, try running Exile specifically as an Administrator.
    -- a. Go to Run as Administrator in Windows 10.
    -- b. Scroll down to CONTENTS:.
    -- c. Choose an option.

Also, try more compatibility settings than just XP SP 2.
    -- a. Go to How to Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10.
    -- b. Scroll down to CONTENTS:.
    -- c. Choose an option.
    -- d. Try the various settings.

TO ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MYST 3 NOT LAUNCHING IN WINDOWS 10

After a while I finally figured out how to fix it. You have to install a nocd patch. After that, it works just fine & has the added benefit of not needing to have the CD in the computer to play it.

Where can I get this NOCD patch?
     1 people found this helpful

Welcome to the Forums!

Use Google to search for Myst III Exile no cd patch or Myst III Exile no-cd patch. Several choices, take your pick.

thank you
    Maybe you could offer me some advise on myst masterpiece 10th anniversay edition. I now have 2, 3, 4, 5 all working on windows 10 but cant get a picture on myst the beginning plays fine until the book hits the ground then I get a tiny picture 1by 2 inches in the top right corner. sound is ok.I have tried all the settings no luck.