I really hope they improve the side missions

In Unity they are so uninteresting because you are basically a silent protagonist being given things to do by strangers.

During my first play through I played a lot of them but whenever I replay it I lose motivation to do them again once I have enough money for the weapons I want

Say in like AC3 the homestead missions weren't always that fun to play but because it felt like part of Connors story so whenever I replay it I always do them

I suppose I want them to feel a bit more of an organic story than silently walking up to someone listing to their request then doing it.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah the Paris Stories f***ing sucked. From what I saw, the preorder bonus Darwin/author-of-Oliver-Twist-whose-name-is-stupidly-censored-here mission is going to be fully mocapped/voice-acted by both the mission givers and the protagonists, unlike the Chemical Revolution one last year which was just another generic Paris Story, so that's good news at least.

Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    Yeah the Paris Stories f***ing sucked. From what I saw, the preorder bonus Darwin/author-of-Oliver-Twist-whose-name-is-stupidly-censored-here mission is going to be fully mocapped/voice-acted by both the mission givers and the protagonists, unlike the Chemical Revolution one last year which was just another generic Paris Story, so that's good news at least.
    They managed to shell out good hard cash for voice actors for these two figures (and from what I can tell they have other historical figures...including possibly Karl Marx). UNITY generally cut corners on story so its side missions with these Paris Stories generally have nonsense NPCs rather than full models.

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    They didn't do cut scenes for Unity's Paris Story missions because they were trying to make it more like AC1.
    Indeed, they were tedious because Arno never really spoke to the people he was helping and there were just too many of them. It became torturous.

Yeah, my favorite side-missions in Unity are ones in which it feels like Arno is directly participating (and where he's actually talking). Like the one where he trains a girl who wants to take back her home, or the one where he rescues the Prince, etc. Plus there were some missions that had nice touches in the environment, like there was a poster about a killer on the loose and that's how the mission activates, implying that Arno saw the poster and decided to find him and take care of it.

Napoleon side-missions were ridiculous. The way the four-mission love story between several characters is handled is... I don't even know a proper word to say it.

And generally speaking there's just too damn much historical people in the side-missions. It's like they went from one extreme in AC3 where they tried to incorporate as much history as possible into the main story, to another extreme in ACU where they try to incorporate as much history as possible in the side-missions, and to hell that you can use side-missions to support the main story and flesh out the characters and the antagonists, all those people we see for just one mission and don't even properly understand who they are unless we know history of the period or read the database are far more important.

RobbbarN's Avatar Junior Member
    Some of the Paris Stories was good, but far from good! There was more Chest then mission in all Assassins creed games together.. Which was to ***** boring!!

Originally Posted by EmptyCrustacean Go to original post
    They didn't do cut scenes for Unity's Paris Story missions because they were trying to make it more like AC1.
    AC1 had cutscenes. Like every time you met a Novice or had to beat up a herald or spy on informers, there was a short cutscene and unique dialogue, as well as lip movement. And some of these side-missions even filtered into the main missions like when Sibrand shows up in the middle of an interrogation (my favorite part of AC1).

AC1 still had variety compared to ACU. Like it had good voiceover work for the Novices Altair talks to and some of them even have weird personalities, like that dude by the docks of Acre who apparently is on the run from two Templars he ran into at a brothel, likewise all the herald Altair beats up have unique voice work and Altair threatens and beats them up in ways which vary slightly.

UNITY's Side Stories can be compared to the people who give letters to Ezio or ask Connor to deliver goods and services, random NPCs, no unique character models and errands that really didn't add to the story.

Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    And generally speaking there's just too damn much historical people in the side-missions. It's like they went from one extreme in AC3 where they tried to incorporate as much history as possible into the main story, to another extreme in ACU where they try to incorporate as much history as possible in the side-missions, and to hell that you can use side-missions to support the main story and flesh out the characters and the antagonists, all those people we see for just one mission and don't even properly understand who they are unless we know history of the period or read the database are far more important.
    And of course its worthless because the history in those side missions are thoroughly false as is the database, which is not true of AC3. I mean they make basic errors in facts in these missions, like calling Josephine a divorcee or having you work with the Egyptologist Champollion who was born in 1790.

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by VestigialLlama4 Go to original post
    AC1 had cutscenes. Like every time you met a Novice or had to beat up a herald or spy on informers, there was a short cutscene and unique dialogue, as well as lip movement. And some of these side-missions even filtered into the main missions like when Sibrand shows up in the middle of an interrogation (my favorite part of AC1).
    You're actually trailing off my point but I'll bite: no there wasn't. They were not cinematic. And no, I will not explain to you what 'cinematic' means because I think we all know the difference between a cinematic cut scene and an in-game dialogue exchange which is what you're referring to.

And when I talk about Altair and Arno not talking in some of the in-game side missions and I'm referring to, for instance, in AC1 when you save a woman from being molested by a bunch of soldiers and she thanks you.

Furthermore, the examples you've given actually prove my point about Unity adopting a similar method to AC1 when Arno actually does get to speak, for instance, when you're training Marianne - although the camera in Unity is more free and actually allows you to move about more when you do.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    Agreed. Purposeful story context is essential to enjoyable side missions and this is precisely what ACU lacked. The missions never advanced Arno's character or built a connection with the world in any way. They were just a sequence of unrelated events, which isn't bad in and of itself. The Witcher 3's side missions are largely irrelevant to the main story, but they introduce interesting characters and stories on their own which makes the game world feel varied, vibrant, humorous and ambiguous. The Paris stories are the polar opposite, stock NPC models or worse, text messages, give us the dry, mundane exposition and then we run to a green circle, turn on eagle vision and steal from/kill/tail/chase some guy(s). Every mission feels repetitive, there only to pad out game hours or as a means to make money instead of trying to me meaningfully engage the player.

Originally Posted by EmptyCrustacean Go to original post
    You're actually trailing off my point but I'll bite: no there wasn't. They were not cinematic. And no, I will not explain to you what 'cinematic' means because I think we all know the difference between a cinematic cut scene and an in-game dialogue exchange which is what you're referring to.

And when I talk about Altair and Arno not talking in some of the in-game side missions and I'm referring to, for instance, in AC1 when you save a woman from being molested by a bunch of soldiers and she thanks you.

Furthermore, the examples you've given actually prove my point about Unity adopting a similar method to AC1 when Arno actually does get to speak, for instance, when you're training Marianne - although the camera in Unity is more free and actually allows you to move about more when you do.
    You are right, and that's one thing that was lost in Assassin's Creed 2, out of cut-scenes dialogue got full of bad animations, and it went to such lenghts that in AC3, when connor is explaining the fat native how to move in the forest, he's doing some of the weirdest animations i've ever seen, not even original Tomb Raider would have animations that weird xD

In Ac1, while they weren't Cut-Scenes, they were well animated.

Don't know about Unity cause i dropped the game after the first assassination mission, i'll play it soon (replaying whole series, i'm at Ac3 now).
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

Now about #1, i agree with you, the Homestead was a great idea, and, in my opinion, those who hated at Connor when Ac3 was released didn't really play this missions.