View Poll Results: Who is the Father of Understanding?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aita (Sages)

4 12.12%
  • Juno

3 9.09%
  • Cain

13 39.39%
  • Adam

2 6.06%
  • Another First Civilization Member

10 30.30%
  • Lucifer / Satan

0 0%
  • Extraterrestrial (Alien)

0 0%
  • Minerva

0 0%
  • Jupiter

1 3.03%
  • Eve

0 0%

Thread: The Identity of The Father of Understanding (Spoilers) | Forums

Originally Posted by dxsxhxcx Go to original post
    http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Calculations

Let's not forget that Juno also "helped" Ratonhnhak�:ton at some point, who knows what Consus' "aid" might have put in motion...
    We already had an indication that Juno hated humans, remember all the harsh words she said in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, but in terms of Consus' alliegiance all signs are pointing to the Assassins rather than the Templars.

HDinHB's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by X_xWolverinEx_X Go to original post
    i am the father of understanding guys ..i know its a lot to take in

I don't think it's an entity, but a concept. Like necessity is the mother of invention. Wisdom is the father of understanding.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by HDinHB Go to original post

I don't think it's an entity, but a concept. Like necessity is the mother of invention. Wisdom is the father of understanding.
    This is what I thought and hoped it would be, but Darby confirmed it IS someone.

Man that gif is creepy.
    Originally Posted by Shahkulu101 Go to original post
    This is what I thought and hoped it would be, but Darby confirmed it IS someone.
    Did he? If you mean the tweet reply in the OP, it's hardly confirmation. the OT (original tweeter?) asked two questions: "What is the father of understanding?" and "Is he a first civ member?" Darby only replied that he knows the answer and isn't telling. He didn't say "I know who [or what] it is..." so that doesn't confirm anything.

Did he confirm it somewhere else?

If it is one of the entities in the poll, I'll be disappointed.

Sorrosyss's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by X_xWolverinEx_X Go to original post
    i am the father of understanding guys ..i know its a lot to take in
    Thread over. Mind blown. Your grace, it is an honor. *curtsey*

Originally Posted by HDinHB Go to original post
    Man that gif is creepy.

Did he? If you mean the tweet reply in the OP, it's hardly confirmation. the OT (original tweeter?) asked two questions: "What is the father of understanding?" and "Is he a first civ member?" Darby only replied that he knows the answer and isn't telling. He didn't say "I know who [or what] it is..." so that doesn't confirm anything.

Did he confirm it somewhere else?

If it is one of the entities in the poll, I'll be disappointed.
    This is true, but there were further tweets along the same lines, and as you saw the teaser from the video that he urged us to find no less, stated Who, rather than What, is the Father of Understanding. If you want my honest assessment, I think whatever the Father was in the early games, be it metaphysical or person, has since been rewritten to suit the narrative development of an existing threat.

Going back to Consus, there are some interesting points I may have glossed over on. I mean yes, he has allied with the Assassins many times, as I stated in the OP, but if it serves a greater goal, as others have said like Juno did, it could make sense.

In Legacy for example, we see a couple of other points of interest.

1) Using the Shroud, he was able to enter the conciousness of Giovanni. How else would he have been able to keep communicating with him, and ultimately take control of him? This has some interesting ramifications for any whom come into contact with the Shroud in Syndicate.

2) "I am the Erudite god". Not so subtle reference to Erudito? Think about it, he ultimately reached a vault of data, and as with Juno, he presumably was able to access the Internet once it was created. Whilst Erudito does have genuine human hackers, if Consus is pulling the strings it would be a very interesting twist. We have seen Erudito since AC1 plaguing Abstergo with e-mails and attacks. If it were to unsettle Abstergo because they have perverted the true vision of the Templars (as the Instruments suggest they have), then in this vein it makes sense if Consus was the Father, trying to put things back on course. I admit it is a stretch, but as I said Erudito has been there since AC1. If you re-read those e-mails from a First Civ viewpoint, it may reveal some interesting foreshadowing.

RA503's Avatar Senior Member
    Darby said that the father is not baphomet,but this don't make sense, the father IS baphomet !!!,I think that Darby know that if he says that The Father is Baphomet people will think about that famous goat image,and will be hard to explain in a limited space as tweeter why that goat image is a hoax and why until now days people belive in that.

resuming, the father is baphomet only not that goat baphomet...

Originally Posted by Sorrosyss Go to original post
    This is true, but there were further tweets along the same lines, and as you saw the teaser from the video that he urged us to find no less, stated Who, rather than What, is the Father of Understanding.
    Meh, I'm not convinced by a phrase translated from English (or French?) to Latin to barcode back to Latin to English again. Pronouns are the first casualty of online translation.

If you want my honest assessment, I think whatever the Father was in the early games, be it metaphysical or person, has since been rewritten to suit the narrative development of an existing threat.
    Or forgotten entirely. Juno was supposed to be an existential threat, but she has faded into the grey with barely a whimper. (I think she finally got wiped out in the Ashley Madison hack.) TFOU will live longer if he's not an entity.

Originally Posted by RA503 Go to original post
    Darby said that the father is not baphomet,but this don't make sense, the father IS baphomet !!!,I think that Darby know that if he says that The Father is Baphomet people will think about that famous goat image,and will be hard to explain in a limited space as tweeter why that goat image is a hoax and why until now days people belive in that.

resuming, the father is baphomet only not that goat baphomet...
    Depending on what origin you choose, you may be literally correct:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphom...ve_etymologies
    Among others: "Baphomet" may derive from the Arabic word أبو فهمة Abu fihama(t), meaning "The Father of Understanding"

Thread over. Mind blown. Your grace, it is an honor. *curtsey*

Going back to Consus, there are some interesting points I may have glossed over on. I mean yes, he has allied with the Assassins many times, as I stated in the OP, but if it serves a greater goal, as others have said like Juno did, it could make sense.

In Legacy for example, we see a couple of other points of interest.

1) Using the Shroud, he was able to enter the conciousness of Giovanni. How else would he have been able to keep communicating with him, and ultimately take control of him? This has some interesting ramifications for any whom come into contact with the Shroud in Syndicate.

2) "I am the Erudite god". Not so subtle reference to Erudito? Think about it, he ultimately reached a vault of data, and as with Juno, he presumably was able to access the Internet once it was created. Whilst Erudito does have genuine human hackers, if Consus is pulling the strings it would be a very interesting twist. We have seen Erudito since AC1 plaguing Abstergo with e-mails and attacks. If it were to unsettle Abstergo because they have perverted the true vision of the Templars (as the Instruments suggest they have), then in this vein it makes sense if Consus was the Father, trying to put things back on course. I admit it is a stretch, but as I said Erudito has been there since AC1. If you re-read those e-mails from a First Civ viewpoint, it may reveal some interesting foreshadowing.
    There is still do evidence to suggest that Consus is alined with the Templars. "I am the Erudite god" is a reference to the Erudito, and Erudito do not like the Templars and always try to sabotage their plans. They don't share the same ideology or the same methods, it would not make sense for Consus.

Sorrosyss's Avatar Senior Member
    Le bump. Any new thoughts on this age old speculation following Syndicate? Specifically Juno directly referring to herself as the Mother of Wisdom?

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Le bump. Any new thoughts on this age old speculation following Syndicate? Specifically Juno directly referring to herself as the Mother of Wisdom?
    That's a good catch. I wouldn't be surprised if TFoU is a female entity, since "Father" is such a gendered word, and would make for an interesting twist.

I think this is a sort of almost Lovecraftian theme- the Templars pay respect for the Father of Understanding because they know of his (or her) power, but their support is misguided- she's not going to favor them when the time comes.

Also, observe the common Templar phrase: "The Father of Understanding Guides Us". Now, throughout all of the eras (for the most part), whose hand has seemed to guide the fate of history most in these games?
    Juno has specifically reached out (as far as we know) to Desmond, Connor, the Black Flag Protagonist, and others, spanning even more games (it's heavily implied that she also influenced Ezio, and her will through sages heavily affected both Edward and Arno).