Fatal-Feit's Avatar Senior Member

One problem that sets AC's core gameplay experience apart from other AAA games.

It's not snappy enough. It's too... *gulps*...cinematic. Don't close the page, HEAR ME OUT!

There's a saying that's been repeated many times with AC throughout the years. Unity, especially. When the game works, IT REALLY WORKS. It's gorgeous. And there's really no other sensation like it. Not in any other game. AC has this unique touch with its quality that truly makes you feel immersed in its world. A real visceral world. That's why demos, despite playing the same, often looks absolutely outstanding compared to the final product. Why gameplay gifs and pro gameplay videos make the games look incredible. But for most of the experience, YOUR EXPERIENCE, you have endure a batch of awkward controls, sluggish animations, etc, etc. Even the best of players are often running into strange, klutzy situations. It's always inevitable in Let's Plays or Live Streams. You guys know what I'm talking about. This is something that's been present in every entry. And it's the very reason why many people feel the gameplay is becoming worse and worse, despite the clear improvements in every aspect.

I've been messing around in other games, especially the big hitters like Witcher, Arkham, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Solid, and one of my favorite series, DMC. There's something all of these games have in common with their core gameplay that, IMO, makes other AAA games feel superior to AC. Almost everything related to gameplay is snappy. Controls are punctual. Press the attack button and the characters does it in an instant. It's expeditious. --Heck, even The Order: 1886 got it right. It's obvious, and you're probably shaking your heads at me, but you know what, the developers don't seem to get it. The demos of the new games surely looks fantastic, and I'm sure the game can play exactly like that, or even better, but first-hand gameplay comes off delayed... sluggish. This needs to be a topic. Every single time they rebuild the engine and deliver a completely new entry, this is one of the biggest problems with the gameplay. This is why, even though Unity blows Black Flag out of the water (pun intended) with its level designs, superior mechanics, etc, I can't help but believe Black Flag has better gameplay. It just does. And I mean, I HAVE spent a long time mastering the gameplay mechanics in BF and Unity. 600+ hours in BF and 350+ in Unity, if that means anything. Let's, for example, compare taking down a sniper from a watch tower and escaping. Unity SHOULD be better. It has upper-left/right climbing, super jumps, farther ledge grab distance, and controlled descent. And FAR superior animation quality. What can go wrong, am I right? Well, unfortunately everything. Animations are beautiful, but the controls are a lot more sticky and sluggish. When I boot up Black Flag and do the same thing, I'm just mesmerized by how much better it felt, despite not having any of the advantages Unity had. And worse quality animations. Climbing and pressing the X button to the kill the sniper was no longer a gamble of expectation, it was something more precise. And if I boot up Brotherhood and compare Black Flag to Brotherhood in this test, I may think the same thing too.

TLDR; The next major title desperately needs better focus on gameplay responsiveness over animation quality. These are games, not movies. Spontaneous visuals can only get you so far.

[EDIT] OFF TOPIC: The thread about Horizon: Zero Dawn being the AC3 sequel someone wanted compelled me to write this thread. The game doesn't interest me at all, TBH, and replaying the gameplay trailer made me echo in my head ''honestly, aesthetics aside, everything in the gameplay is samey stuff with seemingly outdated animations, physics, etc'', but in the back of my head, I just knew it will be an amazing game. And that's because the developers focused on precise and snappy controls. Watching the character hide in the bushes or switching to another weapon wasn't as visually spontaneous as what's in AC, but it obviously played heck of a lot better. That is exactly what I want to see in the next major AC game.

X_xWolverinEx_X's Avatar Senior Member
    u ***in wot m8

Namikaze_17's Avatar Senior Member
    Good post.

I mean ever since AC3, the developers have been fixing mistakes of the past. I personally believe the next game will get feedback from Unity and fix the issue(s).

But as ever, It'll be filled with negative comments and ends on conversations on how "things have turned for the worse" later on.

Originally Posted by X_xWolverinEx_X Go to original post
    u ***in wot m8
    i dun did a thread. shocking, amirite?

X_xWolverinEx_X's Avatar Senior Member
    very shocking

Originally Posted by Namikaze_17 Go to original post
    But as ever, It'll be filled with negative comments and ends on conversations on how "things have turned for the worse" later on.
    Yeah, I mean, I'll still defend the later titles to the death. They're not worse games. I would argue they're better. Like I said, the devs improved almost every single aspect. However, this is the one thing that seemingly gets worse and is really holding back the gameplay.

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    I honestly think a bigger problem is story and removing little features for no reason.

Human Shield? Rock Climbing? Picking up bodies/weapons?

Theres probably much more that they remove that annoys me. They never build on top of stuff, they remove stuff and add new stuff.

Im replaying AC4 right now and am just going mission to mission and this game I think has one of the longest stories that also flows the best in any AC game.... then you get Unity which is shorter, a revenge story and just isn't as cohesive.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've always thought that AC just doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth and responsive as other stealth-action titles and the controls have always been awkward. Unity was the worst in this regard what with the horrible cover system. The inconsistent and highly unrealistic AI just adds to the games roughness.

After nearly a decade it's really disheartening that the core mechanics in still pale in AC comparison to pretty much every AAA title in its genre. As long as they are the only ones creating historical open worlds though, I'll still buy the games. Perhaps they need competition of that sort in order to raise their game.

Interesting... Since I haven't played Unity I can't really comment. But I think I have played a game with similar issues as you describe: GTA V. The movement in that game is just awkward compared to better playing TPS games, but the animations frequently look great. It's probably a technically difficult dilemma. If you want more natural animations they need to be longer. And it's harder to snap between animations because they are so detailed that the transition looks less natural if the game allows it. (I'm just guessing here obv lol). So the "solution" is less responsiveness.

I'm with you though, snappiness is super important quality that feeds feel-good-hormons into my brain !

Oh and that "someone" was me ! I agree that H looks a bit choppier, but gameplaywise more fun for sure. I mean compare the hunting scenario in the demo with one in AC3....

Originally Posted by pacmanate Go to original post
    I honestly think a bigger problem is story and removing little features for no reason.

Human Shield? Rock Climbing? Picking up bodies/weapons?
    Didn't they have pretty good resons to remove these though? I mean Human Shield was removed to make combat harder and promote stealth. Rock Climbing was removed because they needed a natural way to block the interior of the islands. Picking up bodies/weapons served almost no purpose, because guards didn't react to dead bodies anyway and their weapons were poor.

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by sushiglutton Go to original post
    Didn't they have pretty good resons to remove these though? I mean Human Shield was removed to make combat harder and promote stealth. Rock Climbing was removed because they needed a natural way to block the interior of the islands. Picking up bodies/weapons served almost no purpose, because guards didn't react to dead bodies anyway and their weapons were poor.
    Human shield removal doesn't prompt stealth at all, it's simple a good way to survive if things go to crap.
    Rock climbing to "block"stuff is just silly, they made a big deal in AC3 how "Rocks always block stuff, people don't like that so now you can climb rocks", then they remove it...
    Picking up bodies did serve a purpose as guards always get attracted to them? It makes them go off path, you can use it strategically.
    Picking up weapons is actually a good feature because although they might be "poor", its fun to use other things in combat. This whole "poor" thing only accounts to Unity anyway, stats for weapons in other games really didnt mean much.