Thread: PCConcerning Far Cry 4 removal from our libraries - Open letter | Forums

  1. #241
    Originally Posted by darji8114 Go to original post
    Already posted it with source ETC
    Interesting position. While re-selling the complete boxed game might not be illegal, re-selling just the key from the boxed product can indeed be (and certainly is in Germany):
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pc-co...or-not/0136141
    http://gamasutra.com/blogs/Konstanti..._Copyright.php
    Share this post

  2. #242
    nekov4ego's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    512
    This isn't the first time keys are revoked like this. It's happened before with other publishers and it always seems to affect unauthorized third-party resellers. I know why you buy from them and I don't think your reasons are invalid. However, maybe now you will learn not to buy from fishy websites OR at least when you do purchase from them, acknowledge the risks and then make the final decision. If this had happened to a Steam customer, Valve would have helped immediately, but there's no way it will happen to Steam customers because Ubisoft themselves sell their keys there - and they control the prices.

    Ubisoft puts prices on their products. If you don't think the set prices are appropriate, don't pay them - wait for a Steam sale or simply don't play the games. My personal opinion is that the quality of Ubisoft's games in the past few years has degraded while their PC prices increased by €10 for Europe. I strongly disagree with the way this has worked out and so I have stopped buying their games. I don't play them anymore. There are plenty of other games that are much better quality and cost less. That's all my personal view, make your own and make your purchase decisions based on it.

    Good luck to all who want to have this sorted out. However, I really doubt that Ubisoft care about this. Their CEO has said many times he doesn't give a duck for PC gamers and their actions display that unquestionably. At the end of the day, in my opinion, it's Ubisoft's responsibility to make sure their games are sold via their partners. One way to make sure this happens and people don't go to the fishy websites is to put competitive prices on their products, not overprice them. Some people really don't know that G2A is unauthorized, they don't bother to watch for the partnership licenses of the retailer. As it is, though, ignorance doesn't grant you the right to avoid their policies.

    Demand your refunds from G2A. They sold you products that they weren't allowed to and THEY AGREED to Ubisoft's policy when they mass-purchased the keys from wherever they did.
    Share this post

  3. #243
    Originally Posted by Fredetta Go to original post
    Interesting position. While re-selling the complete boxed game might not be illegal, re-selling just the key from the boxed product can indeed be (and certainly is in Germany):
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pc-co...or-not/0136141
    http://gamasutra.com/blogs/Konstanti..._Copyright.php

    Re-selling the key is legal, there is no "material difference", which is what you mentioned in this post, as consumers know perfectly what they are buying and are not confused, since those websites clearly state what you will get (the key and nothing else). I posted enough links about this before, so please go through it and see for yourself
    Share this post

  4. #244
    Hi guys,

    Just another update on my blog over at https://bellatrixblogs.wordpress.com...moval-of-2015/, this time with a statement from Ubisoft. The statement they have given is as follows:

    We regularly deactivate keys that were fraudulently obtained and resold. In this case, we are currently investigating the origin of the fraud, and will update customers as soon as we have more information to share. In the meantime, customers should contact the vendor from whom they purchased the key.
    So looks like your options are to sit tight and see what actions they take once they have finished their investigations or, try your luck with your vendor and see if they will offer a replacement key or a refund.
    Share this post

  5. #245
    Originally Posted by nekov4ego Go to original post
    However, maybe now you will learn not to buy from fishy websites OR at least when you do purchase from them, acknowledge the risks and then make the final decision.
    My key came from cjs-cdkeys.com. They seem far from fishy, having been established around five years ago, with over fifteen thousand reviews and a reasonable rating. They've even been featured on http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/y...epreneurs.html. I don't see how my due diligence when choosing a supplier could have gone further. It's not like Ubisoft publicise or even make available their list of approved suppliers.

    I'm just waiting to hear Trading Standards response on the matter.
    Share this post

  6. #246
    Originally Posted by Bellatryxx Go to original post
    Hi guys,

    Just another update on my blog over at https://bellatrixblogs.wordpress.com...moval-of-2015/, this time with a statement from Ubisoft. The statement they have given is as follows:



    So looks like your options are to sit tight and see what actions they take once they have finished their investigations or, try your luck with your vendor and see if they will offer a replacement key or a refund.
    when someone says "investigateing" it mean they are looking into it, not reached a conclusion, so why ban keys while curentlly investigating ? i mean really ?
    Share this post

  7. #247
    I can't see why all the butt hurt is being directed at Ubisoft ! Sure they put out broken unplayable games at launch that require 3-4 patches to fix,
    but that being said I can understand why they would block keys that were originally purchased using stolen credit/debit cards. The victims obviously had
    their banks reverse all fraudulent payments, so Ubisoft blocked the keys as they would do if anybody did a payment reverse!

    Selling cd keys is a good way for criminals to wash the money they are stealing from the victims banks as it makes it almost untraceable, so if anything you should be raging and
    threatening a lawsuit to the people who sold you the cd key in the first place! As much as Ubisoft pisses us off from time to time, I don't think it's their responsibility
    to replace the stolen goods sold to you. Would you like it if a thief stole your phone, sells it on then you find that person who bought it, but they refuse to
    give you back your phone because they have already paid for it? Of course not, they took back stolen property you paid for.

    I suggest people to do reverse payment with PayPal or your bank and explain to them that the seller sold you stolen goods; because when you went to a third party
    cd key supplier to buy games, you took that risk to do so in order to save yourself some money so it's your fault not Ubi's that you decided that and blaming them
    is wrong.
    Share this post

  8. #248
    Originally Posted by slump3r Go to original post
    Re-selling the key is legal, there is no "material difference", which is what you mentioned in this post, as consumers know perfectly what they are buying and are not confused, since those websites clearly state what you will get (the key and nothing else). I posted enough links about this before, so please go through it and see for yourself
    If the courts see it as copyright infringement your argument of no material difference won't get you far.
    Share this post

  9. #249
    xMiiSTY's Avatar Community Manager
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,508
    We regularly deactivate keys that were fraudulently obtained and resold. In this case, we are currently investigating the origin of the fraud, and will update customers as soon as we have more information to share. In the meantime, customers should contact the vendor from whom they purchased the key.
    Share this post

  10. #250
    Originally Posted by xMiiSTY Go to original post
    We regularly deactivate keys that were fraudulently obtained and resold. In this case, we are currently investigating the origin of the fraud, and will update customers as soon as we have more information to share. In the meantime, customers should contact the vendor from whom they purchased the key.
    Some Seller already said something about it:

    I just place an order at Ubisoft. I do millions in revenue each year for Ubisoft, so i buy directly from the source.
    I buy the boxed games. Ubisoft ships me the boxed games. I deliver the games to retailers (Amazon, G2A, Kinguin, FNAC, Media Markt etc). G2A / Kinguin sell the scanned codes out of the retail box.

    I have seen a transcript of a portugese customer with a banned code of Far Cry 4, a game i supplied to one of the key retailers.

    The question that arises here:

    What power does Ubisoft have to deactivate a product, that has been released in the EU economic market by themselves, and legitimately been sold to consumers within other EU countries.
    The product was not illegal. Its pretty black & white based on the EU regulations for freedom of goods. Ubisoft is handling illegally, for certain on the games i sold.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=685

    This was not a case of fraud.
    Share this post