PDA

View Full Version : One of my biggest gripes with annual installments.

JoeRogo76
01-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Back in the days when the Assassin's Creed series was developed one game at a time, there was a much better continuity with the stories. This allowed the developer to have a pretty solid modern day story along with an engaging "assassin era" story line as well. The biggest problem I'm seeing now is even more apparent with the release of the Dead Kings DLC.

Beings that it seems the series wants to head to Egypt to cover how Napoleon's conquest went...

It is difficult to see how this will tie in with the Victorian setting that is set to launch later this year, especially since there was little to no modern day story told in ACU. Unless Ubi is planning another DLC segment for Unity, the series seems to be going into a Call of Duty style of story telling, where the continuous and relevant stories are released every other game.

The story just seems to be a freight train out of control and off the tracks. Ubi needs to slow down on production and focus on streamlining its ambitious and albeit confusing story.

All that being said, I'm a sucker for the series and wish it nothing but the best. :cool:

DemonLord4lf
01-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Back in the days when the Assassin's Creed series was developed one game at a time, there was a much better continuity with the stories. This allowed the developer to have a pretty solid modern day story along with an engaging "assassin era" story line as well. The biggest problem I'm seeing now is even more apparent with the release of the Dead Kings DLC.

Beings that it seems the series wants to head to Egypt to cover how Napoleon's conquest went...

It is difficult to see how this will tie in with the Victorian setting that is set to launch later this year, especially since there was little to no modern day story told in ACU. Unless Ubi is planning another DLC segment for Unity, the series seems to be going into a Call of Duty style of story telling, where the continuous and relevant stories are released every other game.

The story just seems to be a freight train out of control and off the tracks. Ubi needs to slow down on production and focus on streamlining its ambitious and albeit confusing story.

All that being said, I'm a sucker for the series and wish it nothing but the best. :cool:

I know i stated how i hated the combat system and everything, however i probably could've overlooked that if the storytelling was done better. I totally agree with you that it feels like they're giving us a story in a mixed order. I want a story that continues from game to game. Modern day gave that overall storyline. It was a different time period, but i knew why I was there. In Unity, i think i understand whats going on, but not really. Rouge did a better job, not as good as previous games, but far better then unity in telling me what i was looking for.

Farlander1991
01-21-2015, 10:42 PM
Well, there were only two AC titles that were developed one at a time: AC1 and AC2. And the matter of how well the continuity was is questionable in retrospective. AC2 had barely any modern day segments at all (though plenty of side lore related to Assassin/Templar history in terms of glyphs), and not only it didn't advance the main plot from the first game (the one about the satellite) at all, it introduced a 2nd plot point at the very end: the solar flare, barring a question how in the world the devs were planning to resolve both in AC3 if the game was to be a trilogy? (There are, of course, ways, like for example making the satellite the only thing that can stop the flare, but still, AC was planned as a trilogy, and game number 1 was used as a setup, game number 2 was used as another setup in terms of modern day, so game number 3 would have had to do all the heavy work in a very little time allocated for MD)

PS. Also, just in case, AC3 wasn't planned to be modern day only, some devs said in interviews and talks that they personally would want it to be, and that's two different things

DemonLord4lf
01-21-2015, 11:03 PM
Well, there were only two AC titles that were developed one at a time: AC1 and AC2. And the matter of how well the continuity was is questionable in retrospective. AC2 had barely any modern day segments at all (though plenty of side lore related to Assassin/Templar history in terms of glyphs), and not only it didn't advance the main plot from the first game (the one about the satellite) at all, it introduced a 2nd plot point at the very end: the solar flare, barring a question how in the world the devs were planning to resolve both in AC3 if the game was to be a trilogy? (There are, of course, ways, like for example making the satellite the only thing that can stop the flare, but still, AC was planned as a trilogy, and game number 1 was used as a setup, game number 2 was used as another setup in terms of modern day, so game number 3 would have had to do all the heavy work in a very little time allocated for MD)

PS. Also, just in case, AC3 wasn't planned to be modern day only, some devs said in interviews and talks that they personally would want it to be, and that's two different things

I had completely forgotten about the satellite. :-/ IIRC now they did say in AC3 that the satellite failed in some way. So they did take care of that item.

Farlander1991
01-21-2015, 11:25 PM
I had completely forgotten about the satellite. :-/ IIRC now they did say in AC3 that the satellite failed in some way. So they did take care of that item.

Yeah, there was an email in AC3 that with Vidic's death the satellite project was cancelled. "Take care" is not the same as "do it properly", though.

When AC1 was released, that was like, the big thing. The whole reason of us being in Abstergo in the game is because it searched for a map so it could find artifacts to launch the satellite with and take control of the human race. It was essentially the Assassin/Templar conflict escalated to a huge degree. But thanks to solar flare introduced in AC2, the representation of the Assassin/Templar conflict that we started with was marginalized to an email. That's a huge missed opportunity there.

DemonLord4lf
01-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Yeah, there was an email in AC3 that with Vidic's death the satellite project was cancelled. "Take care" is not the same as "do it properly", though.

When AC1 was released, that was like, the big thing. The whole reason of us being in Abstergo in the game is because it searched for a map so it could find artifacts to launch the satellite with and take control of the human race. It was essentially the Assassin/Templar conflict escalated to a huge degree. But thanks to solar flare introduced in AC2, the representation of the Assassin/Templar conflict that we started with was marginalized to an email. That's a huge missed opportunity there.

But wasn't Lucy trying to use Desmond and the other assassins to get a piece of Eden to help launch the satellite?

Farlander1991
01-21-2015, 11:58 PM
But wasn't Lucy trying to use Desmond and the other assassins to get a piece of Eden to help launch the satellite?

Yeah, but once again, that information's marginalized - it was stated only in ACR DLC (something a lot of people haven't played, because they didn't expect 'Revelations' from the title being in a side-story DLC and not in the main game), and also off-handedly mentioned in a sentence in AC3. (Also, while we're at it, that wasn't the original plan, the devs said the idea of Lucy being a traitor appeared mid-development of AC2, so originally in AC1 Lucy was genuinely on the Assassin side and not trying to make Desmond trust her for Templar ends) Two ongoing main plots in a 10% section of the game is just too much, and AC1-AC3 kinda proved it. Yes, technically most of the stuff was resolved, but did it always resolve in a quality way? Nope, especially the stuff that concerns the satellite plan.

DemonLord4lf
01-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Yeah, but once again, that information's marginalized - it was stated only in ACR DLC (something a lot of people haven't played, because they didn't expect 'Revelations' from the title being in a side-story DLC and not in the main game), and also off-handedly mentioned in a sentence in AC3. (Also, while we're at it, that wasn't the original plan, the devs said the idea of Lucy being a traitor appeared mid-development of AC2, so originally in AC1 Lucy was genuinely on the Assassin side and not trying to make Desmond trust her for Templar ends) Two ongoing main plots in a 10% section of the game is just too much, and AC1-AC3 kinda proved it. Yes, technically most of the stuff was resolved, but did it always resolve in a quality way? Nope, especially the stuff that concerns the satellite plan.

Hmmm... i guess that is true... i suppose the game was so much fun that i didn't really notice these things... They do need to figure out a single storyline and stick to it. Change it up here and there, but keep the core storyline going.