PDA

View Full Version : Unity: To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Norrin_Radd_1966
01-20-2015, 01:44 AM
I'm a little new to this series so I don't have a lot of history with the franchise to rely upon. I very much enjoyed Black Flag. III, not so much.

I have read that stealth is much more difficult in Unity than it was in IV (no whistling, no body pickup & hiding, hiding is very difficult, etc...). That play style was perfect for me and right up my alley. I'm also not opposed to going in guns blazing all the time if that is really is what is required. So first question, is Unity playable in a stealthy manner or is that just a pipe dream?

Also, (well aware of launch issues) is the game FUN to play, particularly on PS4? I've heard the story is okay, not spectacular (and that won't be a detracting factor for me if true) but all I really want is some great game play. So what I really want to know is, is this game worth the full price purchase at this point?

Thanks for any help!

Altair1789
01-20-2015, 01:49 AM
The stealth is weird, but it's doable. Sometimes it's really annoying though, if you alert one guy, he can alert people from very very far away. I'm not sure about the bugs since I play on PC. If you're playing this for the story, I wouldn't get it, but if you only care about the gameplay, I'd say buy it. This is just my personal opinion, and I'd recommend hearing the opinions of others

Perk89
01-20-2015, 02:14 AM
I'd actually recommend going back and playing some of the older games before you make the next-gen jump. The original game may not interest you (though if you dig the AC narrative as a whole or the setting, nab it) as it hasn't aged wonderfully in terms of the series' mechanics, but the following games would. You can get them all pretty cheap too.

HeJePi
01-20-2015, 04:27 AM
So first question, is Unity playable in a stealthy manner or is that just a pipe dream?
IMHO, concerning stealth, nothing comes near to Thief 4, that I just played while waiting for Unity.

The 'stealth' components in Unity are archaic ... need an example ? On PS4, when you press X near a wall, Arno goes in 'cover' mode ... but you cannot turn around corner while in cover mode. You have to exit the cover mode ... move near to the next vertical surface, then press X again. Arno does not exit cover mode automatically ... it must be done manually ... sometimes he sticks to the wall :) And above all, not all vertical surface / obstacle are suitable for 'cover' ... so good lucky if you want to take cover when some enemies detects you.

There are also some awkward situations like: you take 'cover' behind a crate, but your head is visible to the guard ... of course the guard becomes instantly blind and cannot see you !

If you pull R2 + X it is for climbing up ... but if you accidentally release R2 a bit to much ... then if you pass a vertical surface, Arno will suddenly take cover ... it happens to me too many times in the middle of the streets of Paris :rolleyes:

RADAR__4077
01-20-2015, 05:11 AM
Hold off till the end of April. By then the nightmare they call club competitions will be over.

Silly me preordered so I get punished by not being able to access all of the content until 6 months after release.

GolfPro72
01-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Wait until it's $20. Then it will be worth it.

ManiacalSoup
01-20-2015, 03:02 PM
The stealth is very buggy.

For example, I was running a mission last night where I needed 3 cover kills. So I stealthed up to a crate, tried to 'cover' and got stuck in some weird animation bug...looked like I was dry humping a crate. Had to break stealth (which got me spotted and I restarted from last checkpoint) then it was fine.

m4r-k7
01-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Its less polished and more clunky than AC 3 and AC 4.

However, it is fun if you enjoy the series and you can get it dead cheap now.

EmptyCrustacean
01-20-2015, 05:16 PM
I'd actually recommend going back and playing some of the older games before you make the next-gen jump. The original game may not interest you (though if you dig the AC narrative as a whole or the setting, nab it) as it hasn't aged wonderfully in terms of the series' mechanics, but the following games would. You can get them all pretty cheap too.

This. Do not play Unity until you've played previous AC games otherwise it's going to put you off the franchise altogether.

DragonAgeLegend
01-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Personally, if you love the modern story then do not buy this. If you don't mind them, well then the gameplay is not that good. Buggy as always and still lags slightly. If I wasn't invested into the series I would not have bought it at all. Luckily I bought the Standard version, if I were ever to purchase another AC game then Standard is the way to go since the quality of the games now are Standard or less than.

Defalt221
01-20-2015, 05:45 PM
I played it. And I personally liked the stealth.Especially when you can walk in a heavily restricted area wearing a disguise for the first time as you watch a poisoned guard killing his comrades unaware of how you did it to them.

mrbrightside2011
01-20-2015, 06:11 PM
I'm a little new to this series so I don't have a lot of history with the franchise to rely upon. I very much enjoyed Black Flag. III, not so much.

I have read that stealth is much more difficult in Unity than it was in IV (no whistling, no body pickup & hiding, hiding is very difficult, etc...). That play style was perfect for me and right up my alley. I'm also not opposed to going in guns blazing all the time if that is really is what is required. So first question, is Unity playable in a stealthy manner or is that just a pipe dream?

Also, (well aware of launch issues) is the game FUN to play, particularly on PS4? I've heard the story is okay, not spectacular (and that won't be a detracting factor for me if true) but all I really want is some great game play. So what I really want to know is, is this game worth the full price purchase at this point?

Thanks for any help!

If you want a game that's fun to play, grab a copy of Shadow of Mordor. Both the stealth and combat show Unity up for the failed experiment that it is and it's ridiculously good fun running around Mordor beheading uruks like a bad ***. I think one of the developers actually worked on one of the early AC games, so it feels similar, but the combat is snappy and free-flowing like the Batman Arkham games.

Give Unity 6 months or so to drop down to the 10 that it's worth and hopefully by then they'll also have unlocked all of the content that suckers like me can't currently access.