PDA

View Full Version : updated top 40

DREWBAA
01-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Does anyone have an updated top 40?

Ubi has knocked a bunch of them out recently so it is hard to tell.

I though of this cause someone said soundharden wasn't top 40 and I'm betting they were on an updated list.

This list I have access to you van cross off a ton of bands.

Wavey_Dave_76
01-16-2015, 06:02 PM
I would guess nobody has at the moment. I would be willing to bet that some of those bands may even still be very highly requested. Remember that we only get a few tracks and there are probably a few others outstanding. It isn't beyond belief that one of the top 40's is still there based on the number of requests for other tracks, so not sure they have actually knocked them all out. - Case in point. I count 8 bands in that top 40 that had already had a pack at the time that was produced

Dan did say a while back that they had to do quite a bit of work to get that list. I don't think the site is designed to produce reports and stats like that. Think he said it is something he will probably update but not for a while. He has kinda got a lot on his plate with DLC issues from every angle at the moment.

It would be great if the request screen took you to a stats page that showed trending requests or facts and figures about bands or tracks requested updated as you ask for stuff, but something like that is probably at the bottom of their list of things that need doing.

Hermitian
01-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised of Rusty Cage is trending right now either. Then again... they might be saving it for Rocksmith 2016!

DanAmrich
01-16-2015, 06:41 PM
The top 40 is not a living document that is constantly updated; we chase multiple artists at once and have dozens of licensing requests in motion at any given time. We might put out a revised list in 2015, but its purpose was really just to show you "yes, we hear you, we are listening, this is a mirror." A real-time updated list is not in the plans -- honestly, we need to spend time doing other things.

infocat1
01-17-2015, 06:19 AM
Here are some possibly interesting statistics about the "top 40".

AC/DC - none
Aerosmith - 1 on-disc, 5 DLC
Alice In Chains - 1 on-disc, 5 DLC
Avenged Sevenfold - 1 on-disc, 3 DLC
The Beatles - none
Black Sabbath - none
Bon Jovi - 5 DLC
Bullet For My Valentine - 5 DLC
Def Leppard - 1 on-disc
Dire Straits - none
Disturbed - 3 DLC
Eagles - none
Foo Fighters - 1 on-disc, 10 DLC
Green Day - 1 on-disc, 3 DLC
Guns n' Roses - none
Jimi Hendrix - 12 DLC
Iron Maiden - 1 on-disc, 5 DLC
Kiss - 1 on-disc, 3 DLC
Led Zeppelin - none
Linkin Park - 6 DLC
Megadeth - 3 DLC
Metallica - none
Mötley Crüe - none
Muse - 3 on-disc, 5 DLC
Nirvana - 3 on-disc
Ozzy Osbourne - none
Pink Floyd - none
Queens Of The Stone Age - 1 on-disc, 1 DLC
Rage Against The Machine - 7 DLC
Red Hot Chili Peppers - 1 on-disc
Rise Against - 1 on-disc, 6 DLC
The Rolling Stones - 4 on-disc
Scorpions - none
Slayer - 1 on-disc
Slipknot - none
System Of A Down - 1 on-disc, 3 DLC
Tool - none
Van Halen - none
Stevie Ray Vaughan - 1/2 DLC
ZZ Top - none

All corrections are welcome.

chris60119
01-17-2015, 09:16 AM
I'd like to know how many votes is needed to make the top 40?

There is only 9 bands up there that would make my top 40..

DeityCAN
01-17-2015, 06:45 PM
I find it hard to believe that Rob Zombie, Pearl Jam, and The Black Keys aren't on the list.

chris60119
01-17-2015, 09:53 PM
I find it hard to believe that Rob Zombie, Pearl Jam, and The Black Keys aren't on the list.

RZ and PJ would be in mine

toymachinesh
01-18-2015, 01:29 AM
I'd like to know how many votes is needed to make the top 40?

There is only 9 bands up there that would make my top 40..

and?

Danny-Ramone
01-18-2015, 12:51 PM

I'd never heard of Rob Zombie before today, so it doesn't surprise me at all that he's not on the list.

chris60119
01-18-2015, 10:10 PM
I'd never heard of Rob Zombie before today, so it doesn't surprise me at all that he's not on the list.

I'm surprised you have never herd of Rob until today with all the music and movies he has done. I think he is one of the most well rounded talented musicians out there cause of everything he does. He is easily in my top 15.

Danny-Ramone
01-18-2015, 10:57 PM
I'm surprised you have never herd of Rob until today with all the music and movies he has done. I think he is one of the most well rounded talented musicians out there cause of everything he does. He is easily in my top 15.

There are huge regional variations in the popularity of artists. What's popular in the US may not get much airplay in Europe and the other way round. The simple fact that you like his music and that he's popular where you live does not make him a universally well-known artist. Then again, my taste certainly isn't universal: I own exactly one CD by an artist from the top 40, and that's not because I hold back on buying CDs...

futile67
01-18-2015, 11:34 PM
There are huge regional variations in the popularity of artists. What's popular in the US may not get much airplay in Europe and the other way round. The simple fact that you like his music and that he's popular where you live does not make him a universally well-known artist. Then again, my taste certainly isn't universal: I own exactly one CD by an artist from the top 40, and that's not because I hold back on buying CDs...

White Zombie (Rob Zombie's old band) were quite popular in the UK in the mid 90's. I saw them at the Reading Festival and a couple of years later in a sold-out gig at the Brixton Academy and they were awesome.

DREWBAA
01-20-2015, 04:51 PM
The top 40 is not a living document that is constantly updated; we chase multiple artists at once and have dozens of licensing requests in motion at any given time. We might put out a revised list in 2015, but its purpose was really just to show you "yes, we hear you, we are listening, this is a mirror." A real-time updated list is not in the plans -- honestly, we need to spend time doing other things.

Thanks, Dan. That makes perfect sense.

We can't talk you guys up for coming out with so many top requested artists if we don't know who they are ;-)

Keep up the good work.

DREWBAA
01-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Here are some possibly interesting statistics about the "top 40".

AC/DC - none
Aerosmith - 1 on-disc, 5 DLC
Alice In Chains - 1 on-disc, 5 DLC
Avenged Sevenfold - 1 on-disc, 3 DLC
The Beatles - none
Black Sabbath - none
Bon Jovi - 5 DLC
Bullet For My Valentine - 5 DLC
Def Leppard - 1 on-disc
Dire Straits - none
Disturbed - 3 DLC
Eagles - none
Foo Fighters - 1 on-disc, 10 DLC
Green Day - 1 on-disc, 3 DLC
Guns n' Roses - none
Jimi Hendrix - 12 DLC
Iron Maiden - 1 on-disc, 5 DLC
Kiss - 1 on-disc, 3 DLC
Led Zeppelin - none
Linkin Park - 6 DLC
Megadeth - 3 DLC
Metallica - none
Mötley Crüe - none
Muse - 3 on-disc, 5 DLC
Nirvana - 3 on-disc
Ozzy Osbourne - none
Pink Floyd - none
Queens Of The Stone Age - 1 on-disc, 1 DLC
Rage Against The Machine - 7 DLC
Red Hot Chili Peppers - 1 on-disc
Rise Against - 1 on-disc, 6 DLC
The Rolling Stones - 4 on-disc
Scorpions - none
Slayer - 1 on-disc
Slipknot - none
System Of A Down - 1 on-disc, 3 DLC
Tool - none
Van Halen - none
Stevie Ray Vaughan - 1/2 DLC
ZZ Top - none

All corrections are welcome.

Pretty sweet. Thanks for that.

Mycall1983
10-06-2015, 02:59 AM

Any chance of an updated list?

ghmorello
10-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Any chance of an updated list?

You just ignored what Dan said.

Dragonteeth-SE
10-06-2015, 07:36 AM
You just ignored what Dan said.

..We might put out a revised list in 2015..

Actually,.. No.
You just did though.

ghmorello
10-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Actually,.. No.
You just did though.

In the end, Dan said a list is not in their plans right now as they need to focus on other things.

Dragonteeth-SE
10-06-2015, 08:18 AM
In the end, Dan said a list is not in their plans right now as they need to focus on other things.

..A real-time updated list is not in the plans..

And again, no.
Quite a big difference between a "real-time updated" list and "revised" list.

I'm not trying to be an *** here, I appreciate the work you do.
But I'm just having a go at you, like you just did on Mycall1983. Just chill and back off a bit.
And yes. I'm right, you're wrong.
Have a good day.

Gerkeey
10-06-2015, 08:36 AM
A real-time updated list is not in the plans -- honestly, we need to spend time doing other things.

When I read this, it again makes me question the request app. Are you trying to tell me you designed a program to collect thousands of requests but the app doesn't give you a simple way to read the results at the end of every week, month or year?

Kynlore
10-06-2015, 12:51 PM
When I read this, it again makes me question the request app. Are you trying to tell me you designed a program to collect thousands of requests but the app doesn't give you a simple way to read the results at the end of every week, month or year?

I'm sure what he means is that they have no intention of sharing the information with the public on a real-time basis.

IzzyAckmed
10-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Not sure why you would want a list of what's requested, as what's closer to having the rights acquired would be more relevant. I myself would just be angry that a song/artist has multiple requests in, but has yet to say yes to.

DanAmrich
10-06-2015, 08:06 PM

No, it does exactly what you describe -- we look at the results every week, discuss them, and prioritize our requests to the licensing team accordingly. The licensing team also meets with our crew every week to get updates on current requests we've made.

At no point was the lack of desire to invest the time, money, and energy to present that information publicly on a weekly basis supposed to suggest that information did not exist or that the request app is not a valuable tool -- I don't follow your logical leap there or how you came to think that was what I was trying to tell you.

A real-time updated list is still not in the plans for public sharing not only because we do not want to spend the time building an automatic (or worse, manual) system to offer that data, but also for the reasons explained here (http://ubi.li/ve98n).

Gerkeey
10-06-2015, 11:40 PM
No, it does exactly what you describe -- we look at the results every week, discuss them, and prioritize our requests to the licensing team accordingly. The licensing team also meets with our crew every week to get updates on current requests we've made.

At no point was the lack of desire to invest the time, money, and energy to present that information publicly on a weekly basis supposed to suggest that information did not exist or that the request app is not a valuable tool -- I don't follow your logical leap there or how you came to think that was what I was trying to tell you.

A real-time updated list is still not in the plans for public sharing not only because we do not want to spend the time building an automatic (or worse, manual) system to offer that data, but also for the reasons explained here (http://ubi.li/ve98n).

How can you not understand my logical leap? I quoted you saying how it would take too much time to give us a updated list but if the app works like you say it does why would it take too much time to give us an update?

I don't think anyone is asking for a real time updated list. Just give us a yearly one, I understand why you want to protect artists and such but how about thinking about the consumers point of view for once.

Bob_Sacamano
10-07-2015, 03:57 AM
I've got two points-
1. We aren't likely to get an updated list soon.
2. An updated list is very likely to look a lot like the first list. Not sure why anyone would get so worked up over not seeing it.

TheJohnNewton
10-07-2015, 04:18 AM
I've got two points-
1. We aren't likely to get an updated list soon.
2. An updated list is very likely to look a lot like the first list. Not sure why anyone would get so worked up over not seeing it.

It's the internet. People would get worked up if you told them you were giving them free money. I would also assume the list would tend to be similar over time.

dallasdave22
10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
There are two different things being discussed here:

1. Updated top 40 most requested band list with the bands in RS crossed out (and really some of the ones we will never get could be too). That's easy to do.
2. Updated top 40 most requested band list with the bands in RS removed, and bands shifted up to create a brand new top 40 bands not in RS list. This is something that could be automatic with visual basic in Excel, but Ubi doesn't want to take the time to do. Would be nice to get it updated once a year though (on Oct 22???).

If UbiSF is short staff would you want them working on that, or something really needed like DLC or the new SP game?

Of course I could say it's a perfect task for an intern, but I won't go there.

DREWBAA
10-08-2015, 07:06 AM
The original reason I made this post was so that we could have a list to cross off the artists from like we had before.

Kudos to ubi SF for releasing a ton of artists off of the original top 40 list. There are so few left from the original that is why I was asking for a new list. Just so we could see what is most requested and check em off/ give pats on the back when they are released.

I guess the first post in this thread sums it up. I am sure they have better things to worry about.

Dragonteeth-SE
10-08-2015, 08:32 AM
So.. I don't get this.
With some of the reasoning going on here it would suggest something like..

No new RS-users. No new bands. No new albums. No new songs.
Same old RS-users requesting the same old songs as others have before them.

I'm guessing RockSmith is getting new users every day. I'm preatty sure there is new music released every week.
And I bet some of us would like to play the new stuff and therefor request the songs. At the same time, UBI is doing one hell of a job fulfilling our deep, dark wishes.

I'd appreciate a yearly list if possible. Just to compare what's been released in RS and also to find new music to check out.
I personally find a few new artists/bands each year that I would love to learn to play on Rocksmith; some of them are already DLC.

Also, the list that's been around for a while has been a lot of fun to everyone. Fun and anguish..

Dragonteeth-SE
10-08-2015, 01:25 PM
And to prove my point, I just added 80 new song requests.
Mostly by artists that don't have any material in the game.. ;)

fwhite69
10-09-2015, 03:07 AM
How can you not understand my logical leap? I quoted you saying how it would take too much time to give us a updated list but if the app works like you say it does why would it take too much time to give us an update?

I don't think anyone is asking for a real time updated list. Just give us a yearly one, I understand why you want to protect artists and such but how about thinking about the consumers point of view for once.

So you do realize that the biggest reason for Ubisoft to NOT give us this list is that it would ruin negotiations for rights for the songs, right? I mean can you imagine the discussion?

Ubisoft negotiators: "Mr. Rights holder we would like to include some of your songs in RockSmith. We are willing to offer you $x for the rights."
Rights holder: "Dude, are you insane?!?! According to the most recent updated list by your own app request app we have the #20 most requested song. We won't give you the rights for less than $x*20"

It honestly makes good business sense for them not to release too many (if any) updates to the list. I hate it as much as anyone else, but as long as music is a non-rival, non-excludable product (meaning local popular band #100000 is no substitute for Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc.), we're all at the mercy of the rights holders.

Gerkeey
10-09-2015, 05:51 AM
So you do realize that the biggest reason for Ubisoft to NOT give us this list is that it would ruin negotiations for rights for the songs, right? I mean can you imagine the discussion?

Ubisoft negotiators: "Mr. Rights holder we would like to include some of your songs in RockSmith. We are willing to offer you $x for the rights."
Rights holder: "Dude, are you insane?!?! According to the most recent updated list by your own app request app we have the #20 most requested song. We won't give you the rights for less than $x*20"

It honestly makes good business sense for them not to release too many (if any) updates to the list. I hate it as much as anyone else, but as long as music is a non-rival, non-excludable product (meaning local popular band #100000 is no substitute for Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc.), we're all at the mercy of the rights holders.

You would make a perfectly good argument except for one thing, they have already done a top 40. If they have done it once why not do it again? If the request app works as they say it does gathering the info would be simple.

eb4ss
10-09-2015, 02:43 PM
They probably have business reasons for not releasing that data. It was done the first time as proof that they use the suggestions, and despite a few naysayers here, I think it succeeded. They don't need to do it again, at least not for a long while.