PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to start Rogue over the weekend, what say you?

wildp1tch
01-16-2015, 02:28 AM
So I'm diving into Rogue over the weekend, any remarks?

JustPlainQuirky
01-16-2015, 02:31 AM
How about you just play it and form a non-biased opinion?

Better than letting people's views influence yours thus possibly hindering your experience.

Unless this thread has other intentions?

wildp1tch
01-16-2015, 02:33 AM
I just wanted to gauge the general feelings towards it.

JustPlainQuirky
01-16-2015, 02:36 AM
general feelings from the public if my research is correct:

>Story is good, but not great
>Gameplay is good
>too short
>not much to do in overworld
>feels too much like a DLC for black flag

basically it's black flag but shorter and more focused on assassin/templar conflict

GoldenBoy9999
01-16-2015, 02:37 AM
Um, Awesomeness!!!

Make sure you wear a headset or are in a quiet environment so you can hear all the dialogue. And whenever you aren't in a cut scene but someone is talking, slow down so their conversation isn't interrupted by the next cut scene, whether that be in ship or on foot.

Overall it's a great experience that is great for AC fans. The setting may be one of my favorites as well and I haven't even visited all the locations yet. The gameplay is 7 years in the making and that shows. I'd say the sandbox gameplay really shines, and the overall level design is awesome, like breaking into a fort through the natural environment.

I can provide more info for you if you ask a specific question.

JustPlainQuirky
01-16-2015, 02:40 AM
I'd say the sandbox gameplay really shines, and the overall level design is awesome,

I disagree.

I love Rogue but IMO the overworld has little to offer and level design hardly matters when you can kill enemies so easily with little consequence.

GoldenBoy9999
01-16-2015, 03:13 AM
I disagree.

I love Rogue but IMO the overworld has little to offer and level design hardly matters when you can kill enemies so easily with little consequence.

I liked how the world looked. You know the first location in Rogue? Or Halifax, or some of the forts... I like how nature and man-made structures blend. There is one location (can't remember the name) where I just looked at it for a while and soaked it in. I imagined myself in that place, because it seemed realistic.

There is a fort and to get in there are multiple ways. You can find a hole, go into the woods and climb a tree in, or go into an underground cave. At one point I docked the Morrigan near some sheet ice to see if it had geometry and it did. I ran on it all the way until I found the fort I mentioned. The world seemed very seamless and connected, with attention to detail. I felt like I was there and I could do whatever I wanted. Just maybe the world didn't seem "alive". I was amazed at how many little routes there were between places and all the little tree paths and such. I felt like the devs spent a lot of time on that.

That's just about the level design. I could type up a post over gameplay in a bit, but I might need a refresher. I wouldn't mind if this turned into a discussion because this is one of my favorite things about Rogue that I haven't seen touched on yet.

EaglePrince25
01-16-2015, 03:24 AM
Great game, they should've put all of their focus towards developing it more and done away with Unity completely.

RADAR__4077
01-16-2015, 03:42 AM
I enjoyed it. IMO they took black flag, made some improvements to the naval combat, moved the location north, and added a story that was more relevant to the assassin/templar conflict.
Unfortunately it was a little short for my liking.

Thankfully it's not stuffed with multimedia garbage like unity.

erbkaiser
01-16-2015, 04:14 AM
Black Flag 1.5: a more refined, streamlined version of it that keeps everything that worked and adds some nice new stuff. The downside is that it is a smaller game as others here have mentioned.
It also concludes the Modern Day storyline (which is missing in Unity).

I enjoyed my time in Rogue more than I did with Unity so far.

Fatal-Feit
01-16-2015, 05:24 AM
Here

Reviews and debates over Rogue.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/992173-My-Assassin-s-Creed-Rogue-Review?highlight=rogue+review

cawatrooper9
01-16-2015, 06:38 AM
My only complaint against Rogue is how short the campaign is... short, but man is it sweet! One of my favorite storylines of any AC game out there!
Hope you enjoy it!

Kiltraki
01-16-2015, 10:44 AM
I didn't really enjoy it too much.

Felt like a re-hash of old games without adding enough that's new to justify the price tag.

The plot itself is pretty interesting but not only was it not presented well in my opinion but it was just too short. It's impossible to tell a compelling narrative with the depth of AC lore in 6 hours. It just cannot be done.

In the forums at least I seem to be in the minority, because many people claim it's better than Unity.

But I hope you enjoy it.

Aphex_Tim
01-16-2015, 10:46 AM
I liked how the world looked. You know the first location in Rogue? Or Halifax, or some of the forts... I like how nature and man-made structures blend. There is one location (can't remember the name) where I just looked at it for a while and soaked it in. I imagined myself in that place, because it seemed realistic.

I would've loved how it looked if I wasn't already spoiled by Black Flag's beautiful visuals on PS4.
When playing Rogue, I just can't help but think that it could've looked so much better...

wildp1tch
01-16-2015, 12:28 PM
Thank you everyone for weighing in. I'm looking forward to it even more now. I shall let you know my thoughts when I played it.

DynaRider
01-16-2015, 12:42 PM
I certainly enjoyed it. As others have pointed out, sometimes the countryside and surroundings are so detailed and realistic you can almost imagine yourself actually being there. I have played through it twice now and like it much more than Unity.

DGEKSTROM
01-16-2015, 01:57 PM
I really enjoyed Rogue. Oddly enough, the "direct to video, cash-in sequel to Black Flag" was the better(imo)Assassin Creed game released last year. Plus it continues the present day storyline whereas AC: Unity completely abandoned it.

GoldenBoy9999
01-16-2015, 02:33 PM
I would've loved how it looked if I wasn't already spoiled by Black Flag's beautiful visuals on PS4.
When playing Rogue, I just can't help but think that it could've looked so much better...

I can see that. The shadows really got me at first but I got used to it after a while. I just tried not to play on my X1 and that worked pretty good.

MenocidiX
01-16-2015, 07:31 PM
I've had no bugs or problems with Rogue, which was an awesome, nearly unknown feeling. Overall it was a great game, but yeah, very short.

EmptyCrustacean
01-16-2015, 09:07 PM
I really enjoyed Rogue. Oddly enough, the "direct to video, cash-in sequel to Black Flag" was the better(imo)Assassin Creed game released last year. Plus it continues the present day storyline whereas AC: Unity completely abandoned it.

I remember making jokes a while back: 'what if Rogue is better than Unity? LOL' not thinking it would actually be the case!
But I wouldn't say it continues the present day story line. It gives us some cut little audio tapes and stuff but doesn't advance the story line at all.

JustPlainQuirky
01-16-2015, 10:45 PM

Rogue just looked overall less polished than Black Flag tbh

even on last gen consoles

the skin looks so dry