PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember the good old days of gaming?

RADAR__4077
01-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Remember when you put time and effort into unlocking functional and cosmetic items because it was fun?

I'll use Ace Combat 5 PS2 as an example.

You wanna unlock every plane? You have to play the campaign a few times to earn the in game cash, but you choose the order you unlock them.

You find out there is a secret super plane. You play missions on the highest difficulty and bomb specially marked hangars.

You want all of the paint schemes? You hunt all of the aces that fly through all of the levels, and complete the campaign with each of the play styles.

You didn't have to do any of these things. You did it because it was fun. And you didn't rely on other people, nor were you forced to complete these challenges in any set period of time.

Ahhhhh... good times....

ze_topazio
01-15-2015, 06:11 PM
This days is all about the money and easiness.

Altair1789
01-15-2015, 06:15 PM
I remember getting stuck on levels for very long amounts of time in Zelda games. That was back when I didn't understand this concept of "googling" an answer. I'm not sure if this relates to your point but I'm adding this on ;)

VoXngola
01-15-2015, 06:17 PM
We need another video game crash!

Numbtoyou
01-15-2015, 06:26 PM
I do...and I miss them. 2014 may be the year that breaks the camels back for me. Though I'm about to turn 30 as well, and being all "grown up" takes most my free time as is, and the new "give us your money for 40% of a nonfunctional game" just isn't fun and increasingly doesn't seem to be worth my time. I'd gladly pay more for a complete experience like the ones you refer to. Maybe they should do that now, let me pay you $80 upfront and stop bugging me for microtransactions, "app" tie-ins, and all the other garbage that aren't actually part of the games.

RADAR__4077
01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
I remember getting stuck on levels for very long amounts of time in Zelda games. That was back when I didn't understand this concept of "googling" an answer. I'm not sure if this relates to your point but I'm adding this on ;)

Just reminiscing man... talking about quality games with no distractions or boring filler... you come back anytime.

I also want to add that I miss the fact that we used to get finished products because they couldn't rely on patches to save them. You got it right the first time or sank.

xChip1998x
01-15-2015, 06:30 PM
I understand you completely. I remember the old Tomb Raider games - which I am still a fan of - and you would play for hours stuck on one part.

Its not the transition to easiness that annoys me though. Its how cheap games seem now. There is barely any work to the story in these new AC games. I don't actually play for the action or whatever; its the shocks, the ooooh parts and the ending that leaves you thinking.

SlyTrooper
01-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Dishonored did exactly this.

Hans684
01-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Increase the price and give us the entire game, they get more money and we get our full games.

Jackdaw951
01-15-2015, 07:36 PM

I was stuck for 2 days on ALttP. I was sitting on a toilet at work, taking care of business, when it suddenly hit me. The map changes across worlds! DUH! Spectacle Rock! I couldn't wait to get home. Yes, definitely good times.

Foamy53fsp
01-15-2015, 10:54 PM
Showing my age a little here. I bought the original Legend of Zelda the day it came out. Gold cartridge. Cheesy instruction manual. Spent HOURS playing it. There were no forums. There was no walkthru, there was no FAQ. And above all, the game WORKED. If it didn't, you took it out, and you blew the dust off the connections, and then it did. Or you took it back to the store and traded it on an another copy that did. No 40GB downloads, no patches. No half-finished games shipped with a "we'll fix it later" attitude. Yeah, games have come a long way since then in terms of the experience in immersive graphics and other capabilities, but back then, you could expect that when you bought a game, it would WORK.

wildp1tch
01-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Showing my age a little here. I bought the original Legend of Zelda the day it came out. Gold cartridge. Cheesy instruction manual. Spent HOURS playing it. There were no forums. There was no walkthru, there was no FAQ. And above all, the game WORKED. If it didn't, you took it out, and you blew the dust off the connections, and then it did. Or you took it back to the store and traded it on an another copy that did. No 40GB downloads, no patches. No half-finished games shipped with a "we'll fix it later" attitude. Yeah, games have come a long way since then in terms of the experience in immersive graphics and other capabilities, but back then, you could expect that when you bought a game, it would WORK.

I'm in my forties and I too remember those cartridge days of blowing over the connections. This thread makes me sentimental. I shall leave and play pacman now. Not very immersive still endless fun.

Farlander1991
01-15-2015, 11:05 PM
but back then, you could expect that when you bought a game, it would WORK.

I'm sorry, but that's kinda ********. Not only there were tons of ****ty games (there always were ****ty games, there always will be ****ty games) but there also was a lot of games that were incredibly buggy or even impossible to complete. It's just that nobody remembers them now, so by default in our minds there's more great stuff in the past than currently. But search beyond the beloved classics, and you uncover all sorts of rubbish.

wickywoowoo
01-15-2015, 11:09 PM
I am no huge fan of micro-transactions and apps and DLC (although DLC has a place for me) but lets not act like games back then did not have bugs or issues and were all great. Gaming is better than it's ever been, we just all get hyper focused on issues now because it is now and ignore all the problems back then. I keep mentioning how PS3 players could not play Skyrim for nearly a year because Bethesda botched so bad but no one remembers that when foaming about how Unity is the worst release ever..... when it isn't.

I also do not see the fun or enjoyment of being stuck on part of a game I paid good money for for hours, day and even weeks on end. I spent good money on a game and to be stuck when the game gives no idea what is going on or the controls are awful? That's as bad as any game breaking bug to me. Maybe I am more an "interactive story" type of guy than a gamer, I dunno.

wildp1tch
01-15-2015, 11:10 PM
I'm sorry, but that's kinda ********. Not only there were tons of ****ty games (there always were ****ty games, there always will be ****ty games) but there also was a lot of games that were incredibly buggy or even impossible to complete. It's just that nobody remembers them now, so by default in our minds there's more great stuff in the past than currently. But search beyond the beloved classics, and you uncover all sorts of rubbish.

You are of course right. But allow some old gentlemen to indulge in nostalgia please.

Foamy53fsp
01-15-2015, 11:17 PM
I'm sorry, but that's kinda ********. Not only there were tons of ****ty games (there always were ****ty games, there always will be ****ty games) but there also was a lot of games that were incredibly buggy or even impossible to complete. It's just that nobody remembers them now, so by default in our minds there's more great stuff in the past than currently. But search beyond the beloved classics, and you uncover all sorts of rubbish.Fair enough. But back on point - there in enough wrong and broken with this current version of Assassin's Creed and the associated DLC that there really is no comparison to any game that works the way it's supposed to.

I've been a fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise for a long time. I especially like Black Flag. I've been reluctant to jump on the "bash on Ubisoft" bandwagon in hopes that things would be made right, but it's been a long time, and things seem to be staying broken, and/or getting a little worse. I'm still hoping for a fix that will make me happy again, but right now, I'm not a happy assassin.

At the very least, whatever the next "new" Assassin's Creed title is, I won't be rushing to buy it until I read up on it and see if it's the same kind of cluster that Unity has been. I don't want to go through this kind of hair tearing experience again.

Foamy53fsp
01-15-2015, 11:19 PM
You are of course right. But allow some old gentlemen to indulge in nostalgia please.Or get off my lawn, you dang kids! :p

wildp1tch
01-15-2015, 11:27 PM
I am no huge fan of micro-transactions and apps and DLC (although DLC has a place for me) but lets not act like games back then did not have bugs or issues and were all great. Gaming is better than it's ever been, we just all get hyper focused on issues now because it is now and ignore all the problems back then. I keep mentioning how PS3 players could not play Skyrim for nearly a year because Bethesda botched so bad but no one remembers that when foaming about how Unity is the worst release ever..... when it isn't.

I also do not see the fun or enjoyment of being stuck on part of a game I paid good money for for hours, day and even weeks on end. I spent good money on a game and to be stuck when the game gives no idea what is going on or the controls are awful? That's as bad as any game breaking bug to me. Maybe I am more an "interactive story" type of guy than a gamer, I dunno.

I hear you. As with everything else, there are two sides to the medal of progress in gaming. doG, how I wish I could have had the level of immersion we get these days, back when I started playing games. I'm not saying there wasn't a ton of crap, because there was a ton and then some.

The older I become the less I'm willing to put up with mediocrity. I also think there was beauty in the simplicity of games back in the day.

That doesn't prevent me from liking any of the new games. In fact I'm one of the people that don't think ACU is complete and utter BS. I doubt some of the decisions taken by UBI and I'm affected by some of the technical issues. But I think that in game Paris for one is just marvelous and I have been to the real place. As I have been to the venues of ACII, ACB and ACR and all of them caught the vibe perfectly, which is possibly one of the reasons I love this franchise so much, because I can relate to it in real life. I'd hate to see it go down the sh***er.

JustPlainQuirky
01-15-2015, 11:29 PM
remember when people made lets play videos for fun (or attention admittedly) instead of money?

good times

Megas_Doux
01-15-2015, 11:32 PM
Yes farlander, there have always been bad and glitchy games, however:

In my days games used to arrive complete! No DLC, pre order before tuesady, and such,if I wanted that badzzz ultimate oufit/weapon you had to "work" and get it, now it costs $4.95.

wildp1tch
01-15-2015, 11:36 PM

In my days games used to arrive complete! No DLC, pre order before tuesday, and such,if I wanted that badzzz ultimate outfit/weapon you had to "work" and get it, now it costs $4.95.

Sad, isn't it?

RADAR__4077
01-15-2015, 11:38 PM
You are of course right. But allow some old gentlemen to indulge in nostalgia please.

Dear God... I'm 19 and I'm with the "old man" crowd! Idk if I should be sad or proud lol

The only video games I was ever given was a NES and a small collection of games to go with it when I was 4. Those games are the ****! Super Mario bros./Duck Hunt, Teenage mutant ninja turtles 1 and 2, double dribble, Tetris... you get the picture. Anyway I still have them and play them.

After that if I wanted a video game I had to save birthday and paper route money to get it myself. Obviously I was very careful when choosing what to spend my money on.

I'm starting to rant now, but my point is that there are very few games being made that we will remember years from now and say "remember how much time we spent playing that, and how much FUN it was."

And yes, there have always been bad games, but like you said. No one remembers them now!

aL_____eX
01-15-2015, 11:41 PM
@Megas: Sad thing is, there's absolutely no point in comparing those old gaming days with now. When I started gaming with my N64 and Super Mario, video games were more or less a side thing, now it's a global industry that uses all modern resources available.

wildp1tch
01-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Dear God... I'm 19 and I'm with the "old man" crowd! Idk if I should be sad or proud lol

Welcome to aging. You should be neither. Just treat us respectfully like human beings who need their arthrosis medication to pick up a controller.

Here's future me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RXzna_OiI

wickywoowoo
01-15-2015, 11:48 PM

The only video games I was ever given was a NES and a small collection of games to go with it when I was 4. Those games are the ****! Super Mario bros./Duck Hunt, Teenage mutant ninja turtles 1 and 2, double dribble, Tetris... you get the picture. Anyway I still have them and play them.

After that if I wanted a video game I had to save birthday and paper route money to get it myself. Obviously I was very careful when choosing what to spend my money on.

I'm starting to rant now, but my point is that there are very few games being made that we will remember years from now and say "remember how much time we spent playing that, and how much FUN it was."

And yes, there have always been bad games, but like you said. No one remembers them now!

That's an age thing. Kids growing up today will find the old games you love awful and have nostalgia for GTA and Assassins Creed, etc. If you want to use wrestling as an example, people my age loved Hulk Hogan and still have a soft spot for him but kids now find him boring and awful and think John Cena is the bees knees and in 15 years, he will be the legend they grew up with. Kids today love whatever kids TV shows are about but for me, Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers (in their prime) were untouchable.

Gaming is not getting worse or changing, most of us are moving out of the target demographic and feel like gaming is getting worse when we're just too old for who most aim at.

wildp1tch
01-15-2015, 11:56 PM
That's an age thing. Kids growing up today will find the old games you love awful and have nostalgia for GTA and Assassins Creed, etc. If you want to use wrestling as an example, people my age loved Hulk Hogan and still have a soft spot for him but kids now find him boring and awful and think John Cena is the bees knees and in 15 years, he will be the legend they grew up with. Kids today love whatever kids TV shows are about but for me, Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers (in their prime) were untouchable.

Gaming is not getting worse or changing, most of us are moving out of the target demographic and feel like gaming is getting worse when we're just too old for who most aim at.

I realized how I was getting old when radio started giving the impression of being mostly targeted at ADHD patients and I therefore had to stop listening to contemporary music. That would be shortly before Rhianna and Lady Gaga became a thing. I'm happy I missed out on Justin Bieber though. He seems to be a right a**e.

ze_topazio
01-16-2015, 12:02 AM
Blowing cartridges, those were good days.

Yes, there was a lot of ****ty games, but usually AAA super hyped games were released finely tuned and polished.

Farlander1991
01-16-2015, 12:59 AM

In my days games used to arrive complete! No DLC, pre order before tuesady, and such,if I wanted that badzzz ultimate oufit/weapon you had to "work" and get it, now it costs $4.95.

If games at that time had a way to distribute DLCs, they would've had DLCs. But because they didn't, they have stuff and ideas that ended up on the cutting room floor.
Sure, there were expansion packs (which essentially are big DLCs or a bundle of DLCs, depending on the expansion pack), but even then rarely the amount of added content justified the price in comparison to amount of content in original game (but, hey, due to manufacturing reasons you couldn't really make prices lower).
I don't agree with all the marketing practices going on in the industry today, but the "4.95$ for badzzz ultimate weapon" is more of an exaggeration (though, sadly far from always, there are a lot of cases where this is true but luckily for us it's still the minority, at least when it comes to AAA titles). Also the days of old had plenty of unhelpful practices too, for example arcade games that had difficulty artificially cranked up at certain points so people would die and pay coins (essentially the proto-F2P, though not all F2P practices are bad, they can be abused).
And having said all that, none of these practices would stick if the audience wouldn't pay in the first place. But they do.

Blowing cartridges, those were good days.

Yes, there was a lot of ****ty games, but usually AAA super hyped games were released finely tuned and polished.

Eh... far from always. Daikatana, anyone? :p Okay, that's an extreme example. But there was the hyped Myth II that could delete the whole hard drive when uninstalling (and good luck catching all the prints of the buggy version!), Pool of Radiance bug that "just" deleted Windows, Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall was known as "Buggerfall" for a reason, Ultima IX was so unpolished and buggy that it essentially put an end to a whole popular franchise, in Unreal there was a frequent bug that led to all your weapons just disappearing or the game crashing, one of the Soul Calibur games could corrupt console's memory, and this list is not even the beginning.

RADAR__4077
01-16-2015, 01:09 AM

I agree with you to a point. Some things are timeless, ageless classics. I have never met anyone who doesn't like old Looney tunes, M*A*S*H, etc. And anyone who doesn't like pacman or the original super Mario bros doesn't play video games at all.

There are some newer games that I will be playing years from now. The assassin's creed franchise (up until 3), skyrim (lucky for me I waited until the glitches were fixed) just to name a few. I will not, however, be playing games severely diluted with multimedia, and forced integration of sp/mp. The only reason I play unity is because I have already spent the money, so I'm gonna ride this ill-fated rollercoaster a while longer and see where it goes.

ze_topazio
01-16-2015, 01:22 AM
Eh... far from always. Daikatana, anyone? :p Okay, that's an extreme example. But there was the hyped Myth II that could delete the whole hard drive when uninstalling (and good luck catching all the prints of the buggy version!), Pool of Radiance bug that "just" deleted Windows, Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall was known as "Buggerfall" for a reason, Ultima IX was so unpolished and buggy that it essentially put an end to a whole popular franchise, in Unreal there was a frequent bug that led to all your weapons just disappearing or the game crashing, one of the Soul Calibur games could corrupt console's memory, and this list is not even the beginning.

That's why I said usually, lol

BTW, how are things going? have you started working on something big already?

Farlander1991
01-16-2015, 01:24 AM
That's why I said usually, lol

Usually there were still many bugs overall :p And plenty of disasters too, as I pointed out.

Foamy53fsp
01-16-2015, 01:46 AM
"it's not that I'm old. Your music really does suck."
-Unattributed

:p

wildp1tch
01-16-2015, 01:49 AM
Can anyone today imagine doing more than one round with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm_W_OKX7Vo

Because I spent hours with it, which makes me happy of where we are today.

RADAR__4077
01-16-2015, 02:26 AM

Because I spent hours with it, which makes me happy of where we are today.

Idk I think I would play it if it was put in front of me.

Has anyone else found the path in super Mario bros that lets you skip 3/4 of the game?

Maybe it is well known, but I was very excited when I discovered it by accident years ago.

Foamy53fsp
01-16-2015, 02:29 AM

Because I spent hours with it, which makes me happy of where we are today.Maybe. But I spent what seemed like a lifetime playing Pitfall.

Altair1789
01-16-2015, 04:15 AM
I was stuck for 2 days on ALttP. I was sitting on a toilet at work, taking care of business, when it suddenly hit me. The map changes across worlds! DUH! Spectacle Rock! I couldn't wait to get home. Yes, definitely good times.

Psh, I was stuck for 3 months in the wind temple in Zelda Twilight Princess. The answer to my problems was pick up a damn chicken. Can you imagine how stupid I felt?