PDA

View Full Version : PS4 Unity Users Please Read

Zial-
01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Hello,

While playing AC Unity on PS4 I noticed that the fan revs up to full whenever a menu is open, which is strange. I've checked online and found others complaining about the same thing but it looks like Ubisoft is ignoring this issue.

I've tried the game on 3 different PS4s. My own which is brand new, a friends console which is a few months old and my cousins console which is also brand new. This issue is present on all 3. Despite this, Ubisoft is trying to push this off as a Sony problem and to contact them...
This issue is most likely a glitch/bug or just a result of poor optimization, nothing to do with the console, its AC Unity.

So if you own Unity on PS4 can you please check if you are also encountering this issue? All you need to do is boot up the game and when you have control of Arno, go into the menu (where you can select skills or change equipment) and wait a few seconds to see if the PS4 fan starts to rev up to full speed. It should stop when you drop out of the menu and continue playing.

I try to avoid the menu as much as possible because I don't want to start damaging my new PS4 because of this game. Constantly having the fan rev up to full speed just to resupply items is ridiculous. How can the menu be more demanding then the actual game?

If your fan does go nuts in the menu, please reply and file a report with support (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/) and tweet @UbisoftSupport (http://twitter.com/ubisoftsupport)
I've tried but have only been ignored.

Thank you.

MenocidiX
01-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Yep, same.

aL_____eX
01-15-2015, 07:33 PM
It's because of framerate not being locked in menus. The fans goes up because of a higher performance. This issue has been addressed months ago, yet it has to be fixed.

Aphex_Tim
01-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Indeed, I'm always half expecting my PS4 to take off and fly out of my window when I'm in the menus for too long...

Zial-
01-15-2015, 08:33 PM
It's because of framerate not being locked in menus. The fans goes up because of a higher performance. This issue has been addressed months ago, yet it has to be fixed.

Do you have a link to where Ubisoft said this?

vegetollo7
01-15-2015, 09:23 PM
This happens to me as well. At first I thought there was something wrong with my system until I realized it only happened when I was playing Unity and specifically playing around in the menus.

Zial-
01-16-2015, 05:50 PM
I've tried the game on 3 consoles and all are experiencing this issue and I just got a 4th confirmation from a friend who also owns the game that this is happening for him as well.
This needs to be fixed.

aL_____eX
01-16-2015, 05:58 PM
This bug happens to every single person on PS4. Like I said it's because the menus are running at a higher performance which let's the fans kick in. My suggestion is not too idle in menus until it's fixed.

Zial-
01-16-2015, 06:32 PM
This bug happens to every single person on PS4. Like I said it's because the menus are running at a higher performance which let's the fans kick in. My suggestion is not too idle in menus until it's fixed.

And I've asked you for a link to where Ubisoft stated this. So can you provide me with a link to that information?
Plus I don't understand how a menu can be more demanding than the game, it makes no sense.

xPLAY3R1x
01-16-2015, 06:40 PM
And I've asked you for a link to where Ubisoft stated this. So can you provide me with a link to that information?
Plus I don't understand how a menu can be more demanding than the game, it makes no sense.

When there is no frame lock, the GPU can pump out as many frames as possible... Well over 100, I'm guessing... But when this happens, the GPU gets hot. Thus, the fans kick in to cool it down while it is rendering those unlocked frames.

PC gamers don't have to worry about this because most games run well over 100fps, but their video cards are designed to withstand the prolonged heat / usage this kind of high performance demands.

aL_____eX
01-16-2015, 06:44 PM
There is no official source or statement. I understand your doubts, but trust me, I'm pretty sure I'm right with this. It's not about how demanding the game really is in this particular moment, but that there's an 'unlimited' framerate which causes higher GPU usage. So the PS4 is kind of trying to compensate.

edit: DMoudry explained it.

rrebe
01-16-2015, 06:46 PM
No FPS lock in game menu -> FPS goes sky high -> fans go crazy

Zial-
01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Thank you DMoundry74, aL___eX and rrebe for clearing that up.
I love how Ubisoft support is trying to tell me my console is defective, and after explaining that I've tried the game on multiple consoles with the same result and giving them links to other users who complain about the same issue, they have yet to reply. I've asked Ubisoft support on twitter about this also with no reply.
I also sent both Mr_Shade and EscoBlades a private message asking them to look into this issue and to find out if the dev team is working on a fix, but they both have also not replied.
I'm getting really frustrated about all of this. It just never ends with Unity.

aL_____eX
01-16-2015, 07:01 PM
One last thing: It's nothing on your end.Your PS4 is fine (at least if the fans are only reving up like a jet in menus). Promise! ;-)

Zial-
01-16-2015, 11:12 PM
One last thing: It's nothing on your end.Your PS4 is fine (at least if the fans are only reving up like a jet in menus). Promise! ;-)

I never thought it was my PS4. All I'm really worried about is causing any damage to my system because of this poorly optimized game.
I hate how quiet Ubisoft is about this issue and I wish the gaming media would report on this.

BloodyAugust
01-16-2015, 11:28 PM
I never thought it was my PS4. All I'm really worried about is causing any damage to my system because of this poorly optimized game.
I hate how quiet Ubisoft is about this issue and I wish the gaming media would report on this.

This. I don't stay in menus more then the bare minimum because it sounds so bad.

playlisting
01-16-2015, 11:49 PM
It's because of framerate not being locked in menus.

I always wondered why the menus felt faster. Seems weird to implement v-sync for the gameplay and not for the menus. If they wanted the menus to operate at a higher frame-rate they could have at least put a 60 FPS cap on so that the issue with the fans doesn't happen.

lsgnobody
01-17-2015, 12:45 AM
same

Exodusith
01-18-2015, 04:17 PM
It is one of the reasons I have stopped playing Unity, secretly hoping they will fix it in a patch. It is seriously disturbing when your near silent PS4 that you have had for a year suddenly clicks into overdrive on the menus. I haven't read half the text content, due to fear of bricking the console. Sad really, such a simple thing to fix.

xPLAY3R1x
01-18-2015, 05:03 PM
You want to know something ironic?

I have the PC version along with PS4, and the frame rate in the PC menus drops so low it's like trying to navigate through molasses while covered in camel!

I have FRAPS running and the frame rate in menus drops to below 20 sometimes.

Like I said, ironic...

Jackdaw951
01-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Let me throw in my two cents. Unlocking the frame rate alone shouldn't cause so much stress. Many games can be played with unlocked frame rates, and they don't overheat consoles. I think what's happening is the classic case with AC games where the menus don't halt the normal game processing, and only add to the workload. In the past, this led to herky-jerky 2D-map scrolling, which is ridiculous. In Unity, the map is 3D, so you have continued processing of the main 3D world to which processing of a full-screen 3D map is added, probably in a separate process, bringing more CPU and/or GPU cores to bear. That is probably what's raising the temperature, and leading to the fan(s) kicking into higher gear.

DMoudry74's post tends to support my assumptions. The consoles have 8 CPU cores. PCs I think have no better than 4. So a separate process must compete for fewer hardware resources, leading to a multitasking bottleneck.

Edit: Dammit. I may be off-base here. You're talking about the menus, not the map. Still, I believe the problem is basically the same. The menu workload is stacked on top of the game workload, when game processing should really be halted.

Andy_M86
01-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Same thing for me!
Is ubi not patching this game anymore, when was the last live update. WTF!

Andy_M86
02-18-2015, 07:13 PM
So has this issue been resolved with the new update?
I wont be able to check this for a few weeks.

Exodusith
02-18-2015, 08:21 PM
I'd love to know if patch 5 fixed this too. Sadly miles from home. Anyone tested?

Zial-
02-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Not fixed. This is pretty pathetic.

Update:
I contacted Sony and I was told to either not play the game or to avoid the menu.
The overheating can either damage the console or cause early wear.The issue is being escalated and the game tested.

Llamaron
02-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Because of this issue, I returned the game to the online store where I bought it. I didn't get any questions and got a full refund. If/when it gets patched, I might buy it again, maybe at a reduced price.

In other games, the fans are usually quiet. Only exception I noticed was a graphics-intensive scene (burning temple-area) in Tomb Raider.

Norrin_Radd_1966
02-26-2015, 04:39 AM
Yeah - happens to me too.