PDA

View Full Version : Dead Kings looks pretty bad compared to main game

SixKeys
01-15-2015, 06:42 AM
The DLC looks like a straight up console port, down to blurry resolution, terrible or downright missing textures and simplified character models. It also runs worse than the main game (which is an achievement in itself), the framedrops are especially bad inside buildings. But the visual downgrade surprised me most. I didn't change any settings prior to launching the DLC but it looks really blurry. Considering that the eye candy is one of the best things the base game has to offer, it's a little disappointing the DLC almost looks last-gen. I know they can't spend as much time polishing a DLC as they do on the main game, but there has never been such a noticeable disparity in graphics quality in previous AC DLCs. Anybody else bothered by this?

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2015, 08:20 AM
Are you sure nothing is wrong with your game?

I didn't notice any downgrade, just improvements in lighting, atmosphere, foliage (them bushes, mate), and shadows, --most noticeably in the cathedral, tombs, and library (and no pre-rendered cut-scenes so far, hallelujah!). Other than that, it's pretty much the same for me. Try turning the brightness down by 1. It seems they upped the brightness in the DLC.

People I've spoke to have also commented on the bloom (blurr). It seems to be affecting some people. Try turning it off and re-verify your files.

SixKeys
01-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Are you sure nothing is wrong with your game?

I didn't notice any downgrade, just improvements in lighting, atmosphere, foliage (them bushes, mate), and shadows, --most noticeably in the cathedral, tombs, and library (and no pre-rendered cut-scenes so far, hallelujah!). Other than that, it's pretty much the same for me. Try turning the brightness down by 1. It seems they upped the brightness in the DLC.

People I've spoke to have also commented on the bloom (blurr). It seems to be affecting some people. Try turning it off and re-verify your files.

If I turn off bloom, won't that affect the entire game, not just the DLC? Because the main game looks just fine to me, no problems with brightness either. The blurriness is most evident when I'm just walking down the street, it's like everything is slightly upscaled from a lower resolution. And the textures are just downright bad, no getting around that. In the main game, character models are the most realistic I've seen in any video game. In the DLC, they look too smooth.

Green_Reaper
01-16-2015, 05:43 AM
I couldn't remember what the exact term was but I found out just now. It's not Bloom or Depth of Field, but a different kind of graphical/visual effect that a lot of games use. It's called Chromatic Aberation, and they purposefully put it there to change the overall feeling of the game. I notice that its absent in the main game. That's why it looks slightly different. It's probably supposed to make it seem gloomy, dark, and cinematic or dream-like, which I'm sure was their original vision for the Dead Kings DLC.

I don't think anything is wrong with your game SixKeys, or at least visually. I noticed the change too. Here's an example of Chromatic Aberation in Crysis, although it is more noticeable here than in ACU DK because ACU DK's Chromatic Aberation is somewhat more feint or softer:

http://www.tweakguides.com/images/Crysis3/20_3_ChromaticAberration_20.png