PDA

View Full Version : will a r9 280 run ac u @ 30 fps, never dipping below

leroy19852010
01-14-2015, 04:18 PM
so i currently have a i5 2400 sandybridge running at 3.8 ghz, but i want to upgrade my gpu from a hd 6950 as it just runs the same as consoles performence wise, i get 30 alot of the time but i cant stand the constant fluctuations and just want a constant 30, the main places are the luxembourg palace, it drops to 18 fps, and the cafe de theartre too is bad, anyone know wich cheapest amd card will run it at 30fps never dipping below ? i play at 1360x768 and dont care about max settings, i find the graphic settings have no difference anyways

APr3tender
01-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Can't speak for the 280, but I've got an overclocked 270x with 4g vram and still have the same drops with high or very high at 1200x900.

louie1026
01-15-2015, 05:03 AM
I've currently got an r9 280x oc at just 3gb vram, and so far i have just about 30-45 FPS on High and at least 40-60 FPS on low (vsync off. Not a lot of screen tearing on my end.) at 1260x720.If you're not bothered by the fan noise and the coil whine and probably the high temps that it comes with, go ahead and get the 280. For me at the moment, its running like a cinematic console like experience lol. Playable anyway.

leroy19852010
01-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Can't speak for the 280, but I've got an overclocked 270x with 4g vram and still have the same drops with high or very high at 1200x900.

what you get the same frame rate drops as me ? 18 fps in places like the luxumbourg palace, its hard for me to know because alot of people will claim they get 60 fps, but imo you go by the lowest youre frame rate drops to, i never want it to go under 30, i can handle 1 or 2 frames but no more, i guess it will have to be the 280x then, i was considering the 270 but not if you get drops to 18 fps, what about the mission confession can you guys get a locked minimum of 30 fps all through that mission including inside ?

also its weird but graphics settings make no difference for me at all fps wise

and i feel sorry for console gamers as they have no options, but just a broken game, imo a game should not be fit for release less its 30 fps minimum and microsoft and sony should make sure of it, im not the type who has to have 60 fps but if its under 30 it really does hurt my eyes

Abbelyn
01-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Since patch 1.3 I haven't had any problems on my r9 290 as single card (rare drops into 30s but usually 40s to 60 with vsync on). Adding a second in Crossfire caused some loss, still testing setting changes for Crossfire though.

This is at ultra or high settings (no Nividia Gameworks marked settings) and no AA, but forced AF at 16x.

APr3tender
01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
what you get the same frame rate drops as me ? 18 fps in places like the luxumbourg palace, its hard for me to know because alot of people will claim they get 60 fps, but imo you go by the lowest youre frame rate drops to, i never want it to go under 30, i can handle 1 or 2 frames but no more, i guess it will have to be the 280x then, i was considering the 270 but not if you get drops to 18 fps, what about the mission confession can you guys get a locked minimum of 30 fps all through that mission including inside ?

also its weird but graphics settings make no difference for me at all fps wise

and i feel sorry for console gamers as they have no options, but just a broken game, imo a game should not be fit for release less its 30 fps minimum and microsoft and sony should make sure of it, im not the type who has to have 60 fps but if its under 30 it really does hurt my eyes

I've never actually measured it so I couldn't say exactly how far it drops, but it get choppy in heavily populated areas, the cafe, and when syncing viewpoints. I came from a 6770, and it was only good on low with no texture or shadows, so this is miles better. Also I miss-typed, I'm running at 1600x900. I got it because it was cheaper than a second 6770, and I could crossfire 3 of them if I needed more (which would give me a hell of a graphics setup), and I'm happy with it so far. It runs very cool, and quiet, was under $200 with 4g vram, and runs FC4 on uber high without issue. I'll test it out and post some actual results.

leroy19852010
01-15-2015, 06:37 PM
yeah much appreciated, be very greatfull, please can you test the luxembourg palace, cafe theatre, lowest fps too please

i also have the terrible drops when syncing wich is weird as they said they improved it, but i didnt notice any improvements when syncing viewpoints at all, but i guess it depends what youre fps is locked to, i lock my fps to the lowest so then i get absolutly no flutuations, otherwise i get stutter and am very sensitive to it, atm i have to cap my fps to 25 even though it goes lower, im not gonna lock it to 18 fps lol, and it kinda ruins the experience, i hope you are just noticing drops from 60 or whatever youre fps is capped at because everyones gonna get drops there.

but if you cap fps lower then you might not get drops at all, depending on how low it goes

APr3tender
01-15-2015, 07:08 PM
High settings @ 1600x900, but even at 1280x720 it only got a frame or two better. Same with medium settings, only a frame or two better than that. Even locking it to 30fps didn't help. When I'm outside, ironically, i pretty consistently get numbers over 35, and standing still as high as 55, but as soon as I go inside one of these big structures it's back to the low 20s.

Luxembourg Palace
28fps standing still
23fps leap of faith
22fps most of the time, and 1
18fps drops occasionally

Cafe Theater
22fps standing still
20fps most of the time
17fps drops occasionally

leroy19852010
01-15-2015, 08:13 PM
High settings @ 1600x900, but even at 1280x720 it only got a frame or two better. Same with medium settings, only a frame or two better than that. Even locking it to 30fps didn't help. When I'm outside, ironically, i pretty consistently get numbers over 35, and standing still as high as 55, but as soon as I go inside one of these big structures it's back to the low 20s.

Luxembourg Palace
28fps standing still
23fps leap of faith
18fps drops occasionally

Cafe Theater
22fps standing still
20fps most of the time
17fps drops occasionally

omfg thats disgusting, i kind of find it hard to beleive that a 280 would get any better in them same places, its as i thought wich is why i asked before buying a new card, the game is just broken in certain areas, no matter youre card i bet its the same all round

but everyone was screaming how great the omega drivers were and that they magicly fixed everything, thx for giving me an honest answer m8, appreciate it very much

ive got a hd 6950 m8 and my performence pretty much matches yours in them spots, im sure you get a higher frame rate on average though, i dont like knowing that theres areas in the game that are basicly broken it makes me not want to play it tbh, i thought the pc might be able to brute force 30 fps in these areas but i guess not

i pray to god ubisoft has another proper patch lined up

APr3tender
01-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Glad to help! Just to top it off, I don't have a single resource that is over 50%, and all but one are under 25% usage, so I don't think it's all hardware. I've got a pretty strong machine with 16g (Good) ram, and an i5 3750K. I read somewhere that it was more of a DX11 issue, something about polling rates being 5x the maximum or something to that effect. Where the consoles don't deal with that they don't have the processing power a PC does, and the platform fails to deliver in the same places. I find it ironic that it gets so bad in a finite environment though. I ordered another one of these 270x's, we'll see if that changes anything when it gets here.

CaptainKabuko
01-15-2015, 09:10 PM
so i currently have a i5 2400 sandybridge running at 3.8 ghz, but i want to upgrade my gpu from a hd 6950 as it just runs the same as consoles performence wise, i get 30 alot of the time but i cant stand the constant fluctuations and just want a constant 30, the main places are the luxembourg palace, it drops to 18 fps, and the cafe de theartre too is bad, anyone know wich cheapest amd card will run it at 30fps never dipping below ? i play at 1360x768 and dont care about max settings, i find the graphic settings have no difference anyways

You Could run it on 40-50 FPS if your processor was better.
I have a i7 4770k and 280x and it runs on 40-60 FPS on high-Ultra and fxaa and HBHO+.

leroy19852010
01-15-2015, 11:29 PM
You Could run it on 40-50 FPS if your processor was better.
I have a i7 4770k and 280x and it runs on 40-60 FPS on high-Ultra and fxaa and HBHO+.

so youre saying in the same spots were talking about, the luxembourg palace and the cafe theatre you get 40-59 fps ? find it hard to belive, i think its a situation where it doesnt matter how good youre hardware is certain parts of the game are just broken

the best cpu i can get with my 1155 mobo is the i7 3770k, wich i think will be fine for next gen games, ill get one eventualy

im not saying youre lying by the way i just think youre talking about youre general frame rate, where as im talking about these areas with massive dips to unplayable levels, maybe you can brute force 40fps at the luxembourg palace, but i just think them areas are unoptimised

leroy19852010
01-16-2015, 04:49 PM
yeah heres someone with the same cpu as you and heres what he says

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/984276-Ac-Unity-cafe-theater-amp-palais-de-luxembourg-fps-drop-Forums

i7 4770k r9 270, though he didnt say how low it goes im guessing its in the 20's, at this point i dont think any computer no matter what specs can get a minimum 30 fps in cafe theatre and luxembourg

APr3tender
01-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Well if you needed any further proof, here it is. I'm now running two of them, and still no change (actually worse in some places). Still can't run very high or ultra high without dropping down to 10-22fps. According to MSI Afterburner both cores are maxed, however in AMD CCC card #2 shows 0-5% usage so I'm not sure what exactly is going on. Card #2 continues to have a lower operating temp and lower clock speeds, but all within range. Even though I have the feature turned on I never do see a crossfire logo pop up when starting the game.

Silly... I have 8gigs of vram, 16gigs of system ram, and I still can't get a consistent average of over 35fps.

Original Setup (1x R9 270x)
High settings
Single R9 270x
4g GDDR5
1070gpu/1420mem clock
1600x900

Luxembourg Palace
28fps standing still
23fps leap of faith
18fps drops occasionally

Cafe Theater
22fps standing still
20fps most of the time
17fps drops occasionally

New Setup (2x R9 270x)
High settings
Dual R9 270x
8g GDDR5
1070gpu/1420mem clock
1600x900

Luxembourg Palace
28fps standing still
23fps leap of faith
16fps drops occasionally

Cafe Theater
22fps standing still
20fps most of the time
15fps drops occasionally

EDIT: Found out that running in windowed mode will not fire 2nd GPU in CF mode. Switched modes and it's like playing a whole new game! Still have drops down to 26fps in really bad areas, but not so much as a flicker averaging over 40fps in VERY HIGH - 1920 x1080 with both cores being uttilized equally now (60-90%). It's crazy how much the lighing, clarity, and movement completely changed even with HIGH settings after starting in the correct mode. Cafe and Luxembourg now have absolute lows around 26-28fps, and never get choppy.

APr3tender
01-21-2015, 03:26 PM
So a little followup, it seems that my core may have been the issue after all! I was having flickering and momentary freeze issues, so I started the process of elimination on pair of sticks/card/drive at a time, and when I switched back to my old i5 processor, those all went away. I had a new issue though, in Crossfire mode my core usage was pegged at 100% all the time. Couldn't even use in game chat, it was breaking up so bad. Had some texture flicker and a few other small problems that had a workaround, but that I5 just couldn't handle the job of running the two cards?

I turned crossfire off, put my other two monitors on the second card, and ran in FS mode, and basically get almost the same performance as before. Turned settings down to medium, left resolution at 1920X1080, and voila! Still get drops in the mid-low 20s in the usual areas, but nothing like before and it all looks smooth during play. Core usage is down in the low 70s now.

Looking around for a new i7 now, hope to report back later that after $1000.00 in upgrades my already several thousand dollar rig is finally capable of playing this game properly at high/very high settings! LOL I'm sure I'm supposed to lose my temper and flame UBI here, but frankly I don't think I would like gaming this much if it didn't take any effort to get good performance out of it. Nevermind the fact that building a game for a platform as fragmented as PCs are must be an overwhelming task compared to consoles. I enjoy tweaking my machine, researched requirements before I purchased the game, and knew what I was getting into, so no bad blood here... just excited to see how it feels running smooth at very high settings!

APr3tender
01-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Upgrades complete, and wow did it make a difference! My mobo took a dump on Saturday and forced the change. It's my work machine too, so I didn't have the luxury to wait for what I wanted but I found some decent replacements in town, I'll sell/swap later for what I really want. I went from an ASUS P8Z68-V/I5-2320(sandybridge) to an asrock z97 Extreme4/i7-4790(Haswell).

On the surface it didn't look like I was buying that much more performance, going from quad core 3ghz 6mb cache to a quad core 3.6ghz 8mb cache (abound 20% improvement), but in practice it was huge! I'm running on very high, crossfired, and CPU utilization is less than half what it was running a single video card on medium or high! I'm hovering right around 33%, and if you remember it was 75% on medium/high with a single card, and maxed at 100% in crossfire.

I don't know if these new games are designed to take advantage of the additional threads, or the new instruction sets the i7's and later 22nm had but it's pretty obvious that I made more than a 20% improvement in CPU uttil. The game even looks better than it did running the same settings on the I5, and has no flicker or artifacts. I'm seeing patterns and details in Arno's gear I had no idea were there, splashes when he runs through mud, details on buildings two districts away, blood doesn't look stupid, and I can see all the little bits of contaminant floating in the river. No lie... he is also running exactly where and when I tell him to now and never misses a parry.

For posterity I'll crank up afterburner again later tonight and post some real results from the same places, and if the OP is still following I'll do it with a single card so we can see where my bottleneck really was, and if a 280x might really be able to do it on a more modern chipset. Unfortunately that's really gonna cost ya more than an R9-290x, or two 280xs!

Not embarrassed to say that ARCSUPER may have been right all along, my core is basically the same as his, just .1ghz faster clock, but locked (so no OC :( ). We'll see what the numbers say tonight.

ecocrash
01-27-2015, 08:12 PM
Since patch 1.3 I haven't had any problems on my r9 290 as single card (rare drops into 30s but usually 40s to 60 with vsync on). Adding a second in Crossfire caused some loss, still testing setting changes for Crossfire though.

This is at ultra or high settings (no Nividia Gameworks marked settings) and no AA, but forced AF at 16x.

Lot of difference between a 290 and a 280 though, I have a HD 6900 and it runs really poorly, maybe cos its crossfire.

APr3tender
01-28-2015, 03:16 AM
Now with new MOBO/CPU 56FPS MOST OF THE TIME and lows around 40-48 when it gets stressed! With everything maxed out, but no nvidia features, the core gets up in the 70-80% uttilization range, but man does it look amazing!

New Setup (2x R9 270x)
Highest settings
Dual R9 270x
4g GDDR5
1070gpu/1420mem clock
1600x900

Luxembourg Palace
59fps standing still
48fps leap of faith
40fps most of the time
35fps drops occasionally

Cafe Theater
50fps standing still
38fps most of the time
34fps drops occasionally

After I get done marveling at the textures and movement, I'll re-run on a single card and see how she does!

EDIT: adding single GPU numbers in trouble areas

It's amazing how much difference the core/chipset made! My club mates last night all said my voice even sounded better and MUCH louder. So below are the numbers from a single GPU. It should be noted that for a 270 I have an abnormal amount of VRAM at 4gb, and also I'm on the omega drivers and using the ACU profile which makes a big difference in CF mode. I ran through in high and very high settings, and it made a point or two difference here and there, some better, some worse, but neither below 30fps anywhere. Below are what seemed to be the best.

Vsync - On
Stretching - On
Environment Quality - High
Texture Quality - High
Shadow Quality - Low
HBAO+
FXAA
Bloom - On

New Setup (1x R9 270x)
Dual R9 270x
4g GDDR5
1070gpu/1420mem clock
1600x900

Luxembourg Palace
48fps standing still
42fps leap of faith
35fps most of the time
30fps drops occasionally

Cafe Theater
48fps standing still
34fps most of the time
30fps drops occasionally

Conclusion, you CAN run it and get good performance all around, even without a top of the line card.